FatNasty's 1984 Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the gauge plan!

The nice thing about the Mercury's is that you have a little more room for such a custom cluster.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      Hey mang! Sounds like you got alot of stuff going on with your Grand Marquis. Can't wait to see pics of what you're doing with it!

I wanted to ask you, have you noticed any popping/backfiring with your engine? I'm trying to determine if the problem with the explorer engine is the heads, or the cam. Also, are you running mass air or speed density?
      Running speed density. Haven't ever heard any popping, and never a single backfire. Runs great, lots of power. The only problem since putting in that motor is the gas mileage. It's only getting 14mpg, weather i drive around like a granny or floor it everywhere. If I do strictly hwy up to 18 or 20 but thats it. Haven't figured out the problem.... if it is actually a problem.
      My wagon is also speed density, ho cam, gt40p heads, and no problems other than gas mileage which is less than 12.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
      I like the gauge plan!

The nice thing about the Mercury's is that you have a little more room for such a custom cluster.
      Yep, its a good shape. Couldn't do as much with a cv dash seems like.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
      1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Found a couple leaky brake line fittings, but was able to just tighten them and stop the leak. I wont be completely satisfied until i've been driving it for a week and they still don't leak. If they don't it will be pretty good for having 13 double flares used. Drivers side inner fender installed. Should have the other in tomorrow, then it's lots of detailing and putting the wiring back together.

But finally a few pics, got a random one of my garage workbench for the hell of it too.
        Attached Files

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Nice work Mark.

I also see a rare 82 CV grill up on your hoarder wall. lol
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

looks like a new car, nice! was replacing the booster/master cyl a big deal? looks like it was easier to install the new style one.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Love everything you've done to that car! Nice work.

Comment

Passenger fender well in. Made a bracket to hold the fuse box like i wanted it, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Before i put the fender in i drilled a hole and put in a grommet so it is there if i need to run wire on that side in the future. Started removing unnecessary wires from the engine bay. A/C wiring all gone, hood light plug, couple others i don't remember. I'm also finishing wiring the old fusible links into the fuse box, the box was mostly for fan relays etc. before. Got new hose for the evap canister/purge sol. Ran it a bit different than it originally was, half as much hose showing now. Also moving as many wires as I can to the drivers side so the passenger side is relatively empty.

pics... probably a couple random ones in there.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Nice work Mark.

I also see a rare 82 CV grill up on your hoarder wall. lol
                  Good eye. I kinda forget those are up there.

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  looks like a new car, nice! was replacing the booster/master cyl a big deal? looks like it was easier to install the new style one.
                  Bolting up the booster was kind of a pain... hard for this a panther i guess. MC was really easy. Crappiest part was running new lines and making them look decent.

thanks mangs, few more pics...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like the bracket. Looks very sturdy. What is that funky rectangular looking thing near the fuse box?
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh, it was just a home-made 12v ign on distribution block thing. probably be ditching that or redesigning it.

Comment

Finished removing A/C stuff Got the condenser out, should help the radiator get even better air flow. Also removed the police PA speaker I had behind the grille, I never used it anymore, so it was just blocking airflow and adding weight. Worked on re-routing wires today. All the wires/fusible links that came through the firewall on the drivers side and went to the starter solenoid and that area, also my fan wiring, and fog light wiring is all wrapped up and routed out of sight in the fenders and the rad. support below my diamond plate. No butt connectors anywhere, any splices are soldered and heat shrinked.

Need to get another fuse box at the yard this week, mine has some broken clips that hold the wires in so now I don't have enough fuse spots. Also probably going to add the headlight relays now so I can clean up that wiring harness and tuck it away. All the wiring work is too slow going, don't feel like there's enough progress in a day.... Just want to drive it!

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
                          Running speed density. Haven't ever heard any popping, and never a single backfire. Runs great, lots of power. The only problem since putting in that motor is the gas mileage. It's only getting 14mpg, weather i drive around like a granny or floor it everywhere. If I do strictly hwy up to 18 or 20 but thats it. Haven't figured out the problem.... if it is actually a problem.
                          i remember reading you had the Fuel Pressure regulator vacuum line hooked up to the weird PCV heater thing, did you put the line to vacuum?

Strange about the no popping problem. I'm trying to figure out why some do it and some don't. What have you done to the engine? Like any machine work? What speed density computer are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            i remember reading you had the Fuel Pressure regulator vacuum line hooked up to the weird PCV heater thing, did you put the line to vacuum?

Strange about the no popping problem. I'm trying to figure out why some do it and some don't. What have you done to the engine? Like any machine work? What speed density computer are you running?
                            Yep, the line has been back to vacuum for a while. Never really saw any change.

No machine work to the motor. gt40/p exploder motor, ho cam, upgraded springs, 1.7 roller rockers, the newer 19lb injectors from exploder, stock panther fuel pressure reg., act in runner #5, intakes have internal egr but i always have vac capped after the egr regulator (would always miss at light throttle with vac hooked up, tried different egr regulators w/ no luck). As for the ecm, the marquis has a d9s, the wagon has dy3.

Comment

Hmm, it must be the Explorer Cam... You running the stock EFI fuel pump?

Comment

Stunning...
                                YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH RUBBER!!Just too much sheet metal!
                                -1969 Nissan Patrol(5.2L/NP435/NP208/D44HD/D60FF)
                                -1981 Ford LTD(5.0L/AOD/8.8)
                                -2001 Ford Escape(2.0L/M5)
                                Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X