No announcement yet.

Nathan's 1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I gather it's not that hard. Give it a shot. If I had the room and tools, I'd have an '88 wagon on a Marauder chassis right now.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Check out the Suspension forum...I just created a thread with many, many '03+ frame pictures.

And I dunno, I guess I should oughtta look into it. Just a matter of how much it'd cost to get me hands on one o' them frames.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

custom87 does have a point....it does have 178K on it...but since you're rebuilding the motor for the most part(I assume), then it shouldnt be an issue.
        but that rust aint bad...its not in bad shape for a MN car...actually pretty decent.
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
          You obviously don't live in the rust belt if you think that's "seriously rusty". Around here that's considered pretty clean for a car that old. lol
          I agree with Custom 87. I live in an area where there are rusty cars, but maybe not as rusty as some of the ones in your area. The car has 178K on it. It has lived its useable life. If the frame is messed, let it go.

Last night I posted in a thread that Zach (91LTDProject) started. He was discussing the rusty condition of his car. I put you in the same boat as him, a dedicated panther lover. That being said, if you want one of these cars thats in good shape, don't be afraid to leave your area to find one. Get yourself one that isn't all rusty, and don't use it as a DD if you want a really good one. Keep it inside in the winter, or at least don't use it. Buy a car bag or something.

Unfortunately cars don't last in your neck of the woods because of the environment.

I say you should unload this one (The TC) and get yourself a rust free example. Hot rod it, or do what you want to do. I think you'll be much happier than you would be fixing this one. Like I've said before, something that starts out rusty is never going to be perfect. You'd have to rebuild the motor and replace the frame on this car. That money would be better spent on a better car that doesn't need as much work.

Just my opinion, and seriously, if you want, you can call me an asshole. You're a smart guy... I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

lol...I'm not gonna call you anything, mang.

You're right--I'm not sure I agree with you since the car has some sentimental value to me, being my first car and all, but even so, I can't disagree that you're right.

I'm not sure if I'd classify myself as a "dedicated panther lover" or not. I like them pretty well, but mostly I'm just a dedicated car lover. With most of the offerings from the car companies these days, I guess there isn't much else I'd buy. Not necessarily because the panther is such an amazing design, but because it's one of the few RWD V8 full size cars out there. I'd take a hemi Challenger, too.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

My Electrician friend just got a new Hemi Charger Daytona R/T. Its plum crazy. Not much for the color (although it does wear on you). I will say this vehicle is quite fast.

I've never liked the chargers though. Two door anyone? CT has some new state cop cars that are chargers. The only thing I like about them over the regular charger? The column shifter. Even still, I read the column shifter is lame (Car and Driver). MI state cops said it "inhibits fast forward-to-reverse maneuvers." Good. That means they won't be bustin' the transmissions out in the street.

The Challenger should be better
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah, the column shifter is a pain.

I know this from personal experience. Sort of. Not as interesting as it sounds, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                  Check out the Suspension forum...I just created a thread with many, many '03+ frame pictures.

And I dunno, I guess I should oughtta look into it. Just a matter of how much it'd cost to get me hands on one o' them frames.
                  Ooh, ooh, must-go-look-for-referenced-thread .....
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

For those of you who didn't believe that it was that bad, here's the proof:

This car's days are numbered...it may not live to see 2009.

Comment

Ouch. You don't drive it, do you? that thing has a pristine dashpad for 178k! What is that head in the trunk pic for? Not for a Panther, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                        Ouch. You don't drive it, do you? that thing has a pristine dashpad for 178k! What is that head in the trunk pic for? Not for a Panther, eh?

It's surprising how solid the car feels, still, even though there's so little frame left. I've noticed, though, that the driver's door scrapes the front fender when you open it. It never used to do that.

The dashpad is darned near perfect. One of the speaker grilles is broken along one side, but other than that the thing is flawless. Hopefully when this car is gone, the dashpad can live on in someone else's car around here.

If I'm right about what head you're referring to, that's a slant six head...I had just tossed a pair of those in the trunk of the Vic one day when I was trying to get some extra traction on our slick driveway. Didn't make a lick of difference lol

Comment

Okay Nater, you got me there. That frame's actually worse than my '79. Looks like you may still have floorpans, though.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Surprisingly enough, I do. Floors are rock solid on this car. Go figure!

Comment

Shiver me timbers! That's pretty serious indeed.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

ouch. I swear the rust on these cars makes no sense. You'll find one with the body rotted like crazy but a perfect frame, and another car with a nice body but the frame is swiss cheese. My own car makes no sense, had rust on both rear quarters behind the tires but nowhere else. Frame is perfect in the usual rot spot, but there is a hole forming on the opposite side where the trans linkage is. My fuel lines are also in fine shape, and the brake lines weren't all that bad honestly. The rear did pop over the trans crossmember but up front where its sandwiched between the frame and body, it was rusty but not really scaly and ready to come apart. My front lines are original and in fine shape. The one under the engine is actually still shiny, probably because it was covered in slime for 18 years.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X