No announcement yet.

The 93 GM "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you smell the baking on engine paint yet?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

So, I fucked up

Yup. I fucked up.
      When I put the timing chains on the motor, I used my paint marker lines on the cams, crank, and timing chains as a reference. I put them on when they were on the old motor. So in theory, they should have gone on perfect. I did the same thing in the Town Car and it worked perfectly.
      Onwards to a few weeks ago.
      I said I had a timing issue. I was right. The engine turned over and turned over. Then I hooked up the battery to turn the motor over a bunch and prime the oil pump for a start. Then it sounded like it skipped timing(metallic noise) and then it stopped rotating.
      I found out why.

I took the cam shaft out, and three of the eight valve springs were fully extended, and I could push them back down with my hand.
      Uh oh.

I FOUND THEM!!!

I took the head off and found the issue. Luckily for me, I already had the right camshaft removed when this all went down.

Cylinders look good. there's a few marks in the pistons and heads, but nothing to serious. Plus, this isn't going to be a performance build.

So I set the timing THE RIGHT WAY last night. It turns over great now. NO issues.
      I found a ton of different ways to set timing and other bullshit.
      There is a super simple way of setting timing on a 2V with NO timing tools.
      I'm making that write-up now and will sticky it.

Back to more "big steam".

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

well fawk. that's a lot of carnage for not much damage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You shit yourself when this all went down? I would tossed up the white flag and opened up the ford motorsport catalogue and dropped some pretty pennies to not have to deal with that again.

Glad it all worked out. Building engines can be scary if you are not one hundred percent sure in what you are doing.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You really ought to try a different engine family. Seems you and the modular are not the best of friends.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

or their such good friends that they play pranks on each other?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I got a valve cover on. And some timing cover accessories too. I still need a non-CVPI oil filter adapter.

Anyone have one? I don't have time to go to a yard.

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Progress.
                  Finally.

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Comment

Start the fucking thing already lol. Anticipation...

Comment

I think he's on the "one part per month" program.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The junkyard run from ScottFest was a resounding success.
                          I scored a dipstick tube, stupid oil filter adapter, oil cap, and ,
                          An 02 LX Sport ECM, fuel injectors, and engine harness.
                          There will need to be some decent modification done to the engine and transmission harness, but it's all here.
                          Work shall commence in September.

-ryan s.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

You got an oil cap instead of a 710 cap? You know that negates the cop chip.

Comment

Shit. I better throw that out then.
                              I needs me a cop chip.

-ryan s.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Also... the LX sport PCM will expect PATS input... you no gots that.

Comment

Working...
                                X