No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you may need the different rear flange. Cop car probably has the big one with both bolt patterns, but civi cars sometimes have the small bolt pattern that doesn't jive with the AL driveshaft. Don't know about the front yoke, but if it goes in there, it ought to work.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
      Yeah it was a lucky find!

Thanks Dave, That is the stock u-joint for front and back I see based on rock auto's parts. So there is no special adapter U-joint for adapting my yoke to the new driveshaft? I can just use the stock replacements?
      I cannot say. All I know is that this was the part number on the boxes of U joints I used for my car. It is a combination 1310 to 1330 universal joint. It was not the same on my car when I removed the old.

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-18-2014, 05:32 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just took out my stock DS. Some interesting things to note. Slipe Yoke on the aluminum one is WAY too big in every way to fit, so that'll need that conversion U-joint. The rear yoke won't mate up to my stock rear, bolt holes are about 3" apart compared to my 2.5". However it will bolt right up to the rear I pulled, so I'm going to wait until i do the rear end swap. The circumference difference is intense! My stock steel drive shaft measures approx 9" and the police aluminum one is 11"! As far as the weight difference, my stock one weighs about 21 pounds, and the aluminum one 16. A 5 pound difference, might be 6 with my smaller slip yoke on it.

How do i know if this is that special "multi matrix" shaft, or an earlier version that is not as...capable at high speeds? Not that it matters all that much, but it would be cool to have the better one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1274135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1274136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1274137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1274138Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1274139
        Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 04-18-2014, 06:51 PM.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I also notice that the aluminum driveshaft is maybe 1/2" longer than mine. That's the shaft itself, I don't foresee this being a problem
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

ok, you have the smaller rear flange then. My car with the tow package has both sets of holes in the rear flange. Only reason I know that is because it now lives with a small pattern civi shaft. The original big pattern tow shaft has a dickered yoke and is grossly off balance. Got tired of it shaking and puking fluid.

Does the 82 have an 8.5 rear or an 8.8 ? That may be part of the difference from big flange vs small flange in the back.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

BTW, Thanks Dave for the info.

Thain-Funny thing is i was reading some older threads and noticed you mentioned that, good to hear you replaced it.

It's an 8.5, so i like to think of it as a quadruple upgrade with this rear: 8.8, 3.27, wider track width, and trac lok. Plus the discs later...

I'm ordering the one stock U-Joint and Timken bearing rebuild kit tonight. I'll get the conversion joint from a local NAPA
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Little bit more progress, took all the extras i didn't need off the rear and started to de-rust her. I polished the aluminum diff cover, came out nice.

Name:	IMG_1830.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1274150Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1274151
                I also got my Ford Racing trac lok rebuild kit today, and installed that into my carrier, went easier than expected.

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1274158Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1274152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1274153Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1274154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1844.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1274155Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1274156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1274157
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

the only PITA about rebuilding a carrier is the S spring. other than that... it's pretty easy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I remember we gave up on the truck spring that came in the kit on mine when it shot across the shop for the third time and vanished. I bet its still in there someplace. The old spring went back in.

Comment

ha! Didn't have that much trouble with this one, used a vice and vice grips and a brass punch and hammer.

A few updates because I feel like posting! John pressed on new bearings for me on the carrier and pinion gear since he has access to a press. Put in new axle bearings and seals and installed the pinion gear, got it to 27 inch pounds rotational torque, reused the original pinion shim... I'm really hoping that i'll get lucky and not have to mess with the shims. It's the same gears, just new bearings and a different carrier. Going to try the shims I got with the carrier first and see if I get a good pattern. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: So i was reading this:

"If the travel is between .008" and .014" you do not have to mess with adding and subtracting shims because you already have the correct backlash. However, this is highly unlikely unless you have installed gears which are numerically the same as those already installed beforehand because as gears get steeper (numerically higher) the ring gear thickness increases. "

So from what I gather I should actually use that carrier shims that are in the diff housing now, as that came with the 3.27 gears, and not the ones I pulled from the 2.73 trac lok car. I'll compare them tomorrow, but this would make sense.
                      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 05-04-2014, 09:56 PM.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

You always start with the ones from the housing. That will get you the closest. I think you have a little too much preload on pinion bearing. Pretty sure supposed to be 18-22 inch pounds for new bearings. I put old pinion shim on behind new bearing. Made sure of that.

Comment

preload listed as 18-29 for my 93... Scott put 28 dead with the impact and it's been great.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hey all. It went well! I used the ones from the housing, gear pattern looks good, and is almost identical to the pattern it had before the different carrier and bearings were installed. Very pleased I didn't have to mess with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1274215

Since I had extra time I attached two wheels John loaned me and began the laborious task of rust removal. I got one section done, cleaned, and put Corroseal on it-apparently a fairly decent rust converter. It worked as it should. Once I've finished the rest, it will get a couple hand painted coats of rustoleum gloss black. I've had good luck with that paint on heavily rusted objects before, and that was with far less prep work than I'm doing now.

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1274216Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1274217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1274218
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

looking great.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

RustOleum works well. The rusty metal primer works fairly well too, but it should not be needed if the rust converter does it's job.

Comment

Working...
                                X