No announcement yet.

1989 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS LS *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like to do it right you'd want to pull out the bumper shocks and cut the framerails right behind where the thing is attached so you can get it home, then once you're home, carefully remove the remainder of the rails and then just as carefully grind off the endcaps, tabs and all, from your current rails. That'd be a lot of grinding, but from that point it'd be easy, and once you're done it'd look factory.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 89mercury View Post
      I made a trip to the local junkyard and I didn't find any police cars or any tripminders. I did find a 3/4" rear sway bar from a 1988 crown vic, but it's going to be a PAIN to try and pull it. Anyway, I remember some time ago about the front and rear braces on a lincoln, I saw this car in the pic below and I thought the front would be easy to cut off.

Has anyone cut these braces off and welded them on a crown vic or grand marquis?

I've actually been thinking about doing this to my Box for quite some time, with both the front and rear Frame Braces from the Towncar. I even have a portable torch I could take with me, to cut the pieces off of the frame rails.

I could just as easily weld in some thick wall tubing between the frame rails, and it would probibly be stronger, and stiffen the frame a little more, but I want something that is going to look factory.

If you do go through with it, let us know, I'm interested as to how much difference it would really make in the stiffness of the Frame.

Comment

a class 3 hitch will strenghten up the rear frame

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Any updates on the motor?

Comment

Nice. I could never find a really great condition 80's Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, or Lincoln TownCar whenever I was looking. One is enough of a drain to try to restore so once I have one I just have to go ahead and get attached because when I'm looking I need wheels too badly to be picky. With much of the feminine new bubble cars, I kind of feel like I would hate to buy a new car and pay so much money for something I hate just because of fuel economy. My brother's 2003 Mercury Maraurder is sweet though so there are some newish cars I like.

Comment

i like the choice on the wheels, and no i wouldnt go with the front spoiler thing...not that big anyways

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
              previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Comment

Ohhhhh myyyy Gooood!!! 89 MERCURY see your Panther is like see my first box Panther except for the wheels the rest is same as my first Mercury Congratulations on the adquisition of that Panther in so INMACULATE conditions I never see a Box Panther in that state of beauty and Elegance I will get a picture I have and i will post in your thread please keep that way that is an icon an example for the new models to see where there came and their antecesors, Thank you for posting that super pictures !!WoooWWW!!! and the wheels give a touch of authority and respect in the road it's impossible to not see that kind of wheels on that box Panther, Well !!ENHORABUENA!! in be the owner of that Panther.

Att, Sniper 308 "My Panther is back to life"
                MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

I've forgotten how sweet your car is. Any progress, mang?
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

great car

i think the original 351w plan would be the better way to go. maybe even a stroker kit for that. it pretty much cost the same as a 347 build. i would think giant cars like this would like all that displacment and low end torque
                    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

man i forgot about your car.

for some reason i cant see the pics, but i remember how sick looking it was tho lol

so have u done any updates, any info on the lightining engine, etc. ???
                      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

I think this member is MIA...
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                        X