My 1979 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home again!!

Got the TC home tonight. Starter has been rebuilt and a new solenoid installed. Car seems to run fine but the engine light comes on sometimes...Driver's side turn-signal lens has also been destroyed since my last visit to the shop. I wonder if it was the same vandal?? I'm not impressed...
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
      Got the TC home tonight. Starter has been rebuilt and a new solenoid installed. Car seems to run fine but the engine light comes on sometimes...Driver's side turn-signal lens has also been destroyed since my last visit to the shop. I wonder if it was the same vandal?? I'm not impressed...
      Um... you should go after the shop... Cars getting damaged is not ok...
      Which engine light comes on? The Towncars have multiple lights don't they?

Comment

Fasten seatbelt light is on the left side of the dash. I think there's only one engine light. It's on the left side of the alt light.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Fasten seatbelt light is on the left side of the dash. I think there's only one engine light. It's on the left side of the alt light.
          Is the engine knocking? If no, then go under the hood, on the drivers side of the engine, in front of the oil filter is a single wire sender. It's the oil pressure sender, see if the wire is plugged into it. If it is, unplug it and see if the light turns off. If it does, the sender is bad or you have low oil psi. If the light is still on, it's possible, the wire has been grounded somewhere. Possibly on the exhaust. Or a valve cover etc.

Comment

I'll check that out next time I'm around the car during the day.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Does the light come on when stopped at a light idling? That is what my 79 Continental did. Of course, it was confirmed that there was virtually no oil pressure in drive at idle. I put over 40K on it like that... it knocked like crazy but wouldn't die (and I beat the living shit out of it)
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                Does the light come on when stopped at a light idling? That is what my 79 Continental did. Of course, it was confirmed that there was virtually no oil pressure in drive at idle. I put over 40K on it like that... it knocked like crazy but wouldn't die (and I beat the living shit out of it)
                Yes, the light comes on when stopped at a light idling. It will flicker while driving. The engine doesn't make any funny noises. It's smooth and quiet.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Does it come on in reverse stopped?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    Does it come on in reverse stopped?
                    No sir. I was driving the car tonight and the light didn't appear during the first 10 minutes of driving. In other news, my spare tire is missing... I'll have to call the shop to see if they have it. There's no evidence of tampering with the trunk lock, so I don't think anyone stole it.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

No sir. I was driving the car tonight and the light didn't appear during the first 10 minutes of driving..
                      I think you are having the early (typical) signs of the Ford 400 loosing oil pressure. I would get it checked with a gauge soon to be sure. You may just have a clogged screen on the oil pump. If you continue to drive it, it will get worse. Mine was so bad at the end the engine light flickered even in park at idle. Mine was caused from a clogged oil pump that starved the engine for oil and destroyed the bearings.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I recently had the flickering engine light on my lopo. Fresh oil cured it.

I think(!) what happens is: When the oil gets old and thin that in itself reduces oil pressure which in turn means the hydraulic lifters won't pump up properly causing the motor to idle rough and slow cos it can't breath properly again meaning the oil pressure stays low and causes the light to flicker.
                        Hope that makes sense!

I'd also suggest that if the light is only flickering at idle you're OK and new oil may cure it but if it goes on solid there is something properly wrong.

This is assuming the motor design is similar an MGM. Can anyone confirm?
                        1984 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0 LS on propane. All season daily driver since 2008

Comment

same year crown vics and grand marquis always had the same engine options for panthers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

spare tire found

I went back to the shop and they had my spare with a different tire mounted. They had to install my old spare on the driver's front because that tire had been slashed my some jackass...I think I'll take my business elsewhere because of the whole vandalism issue. I'm not going to risk having my property damaged again...
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I went back to the shop and they had my spare with a different tire mounted. They had to install my old spare on the driver's front because that tire had been slashed my some jackass...I think I'll take my business elsewhere because of the whole vandalism issue. I'm not going to risk having my property damaged again...
                              x infinity

I'd report the vandalism to the police as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

up-date

The Linc wouldn't start last night because of a weak battery (it's 3 years old) so I replaced it today. Also replaced the old terminal cables because they looked to be OEM...Obviously, starting power has greatly improved!! In other news, the turn-signal lens arrived today. Thanks 85crownHPP
                                '79 Continental Town Car
                                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X