My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    What color is your interior again. If tan and you are interested I will give your the blue flames tan floor mats I was rocking for about 6 years. They are as new as they can come as I always ran clear covers on top of them so as to not get them dirty. lol
    Yep it's tan. Thanks dude! I think I'm going to pass though, I'm not sure how flames would look in my car lol. I'll probably just suck it up and buy some plain mats and call it done.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

No problem.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

During my last 4hr trip to Montauk the rattle noise from the rear area began to really irritate me. It was a noise I had for some time but never looked into it. It irritated me so much on this trip that I stopped at an overlook and poked around the trunk of the car as the sound seemed to be coming from there. I pulled out the spare and then the jack. I noticed the jack was making wear marks onto the metal that connects the rear shelf with the trunk so I wrapped some rags I had around the jack and tightened down the spare tire over it and went on my way.

No dice. Sound remained the same over bumps. FUCK.

Get back home and rip out the contents of the trunk again. Get pipe insulation and totally cover the jack with it in addition to the tire iron. Wash the car then put it away till today.

Take the car out fully expecting that annoying rattle, vibrating noise from the rear of the car to be gone. WRONG. Still around. So I complete my trip out to Montauk again, with the radio much higher so I don't blow a gasket over hearing the sound going over uneven pavement.

Get home and jack up the car and start smacking the tire. With the smack of the tire I get the rattle. So I inspect further. Smack the trailer hitch. Rattle. Hold the rear bumper and smack the trailer hitch, less rattle. Cool. Go around and tighten up the bumper bolts to the frame as well as ll of the 10mm bolts that hold the inner to the outer of the bumper. That quieted up some of the rattles.

Now I go over to the drivers side tire and smack that. Rattle, vibrate again. Hit the rear sway bar and it is loose!

Grab the 15mm and the 18mm and much to my surprise all four bolts were loose and took no effort to spin with a wrench. Shit. So I tighten them up and smack the frame and now there is silence. God I sure hope that was the noise. Will find out next trip.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

with all that loose, dang. at least you found it all before something fell off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The nuts were not close to falling off but who knows what would have happened if I had not looked into it. Certainly happy to have things tight again. Will have to monitors those nuts and see if they get loose again.
            ~David~

Comment

May not be a bad idea to go over the whole underbody... Stuff like that just doesn't come loose.
              1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
              1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
              1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

are those supposed to be self-locking nuts? If they are, they're probably just rounded out by now. They normally have an oval or triangle look to the end. Run them on a couple times though and they're just regular nuts.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The sway bar has been off a bunch of times. Once when my father originally purchased it from a junkyard years back, when my dad installed the 3.08's, when I put poly bushings in the rear and when I changed to 3.73. While I was under the car I randomly checked other bits for looseness. I am gonna keep an eye on it.
                  ~David~

Comment

We have a winner. Nice and silent over rough terrain...aka new york roads.
                    ~David~

Comment

glad to hear you got it fixed Dave. Will you be bringing the Blob to SF this year?
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yep sure will unless monsoon weather is expected. Car is running really well and is super fun with 3.73's. Looking forward to the event.
                        ~David~

Comment

Dave, I know know that it will not be possible to plan for and build a platform for a CV/MGM show here on LI or elsewhere. If guys are not car show "persons" then I just have to accept the fact that most are not interested. I am thankful that there are Ford/Merc shows happening in NY and NJ throughout the summer and fall. It would have been nice to establish our own boutique show here in the metro NY/LI areaStill hopeful some guys would want to meetup for a Sat or Sun breakfast
                          I am not much of a car show person.

Comment

Yep sure will unless monsoon weather is expected. Car is running really well and is super fun with 3.73's. Looking forward to the event.
                            You gonna race it this year? See if those 3.73's helped out?

I may bring my Tudor, we could have a shootout!
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I am always weary about racing it. I will be running snow tires on all four corners as well. idk at this point in time.
                              ~David~

Comment

Goodies arrived. Now I gotta get that hydraulic union.

~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X