X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo hoo! Looks great.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Cool!

What does the later steering box give you? Is it a firmer wheel feel?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Nice! I had a new steering box put in my car about a month ago. It's a huge improvement from the old leaky one.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

This is a 98-02 police steering box. Stiffest steering feel out of available boxes. Also has a quicker turning ratio.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I am curious about the turning ratio part. Do you know the two ratios? At least you can check it before and after easily enough.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

For free?????? who do you know in Great Neck????????
              Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Thats actually what i really wanted to do, but i am having all of the work done for free. I just pay for all the materials and such. I dont want to push my luck. A nice brown top will go back on. The car will still look good.

Comment

Another option, instead of a coupler you could have a custom line made. Basically you'd cut the crimp off the pump end of the shiny new line and remove that piece of steel tube. Do the same thing with a box style line, but toss the rubber part of the box hose. Have a hydraulic shop assemble the piece that goes into a box power steering pump into the hose that goes into a whale steering box. It shouldn't be all that difficult a job for them, and I don't expect it would cost a ton either.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is this a straight bolt on to the boxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

not quite. You have to do a little cut and splice work for the input coupler, and you have to do some plumbing work for the lines. The steering box fittings changed on later models, and there is no steering hose that fits the late style box at one end and our early pump at the other. You have to make one. It bolts up to the frame, and our pitman arm fits it though. Its not a hugely involved swap, but its not just like installing a stock replacement steering gear for the same year car.

I'm actually half tempted to take a couple apart some time to see if I can stuff the later model guts inside of an original box case so it becomes a bolt-on item. It may actually be easier than the custom stuff.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      I'm actually half tempted to take a couple apart some time to see if I can stuff the later model guts inside of an original box case so it becomes a bolt-on item. It may actually be easier than the custom stuff.
                      I was thinking this myself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                        I am curious about the turning ratio part. Do you know the two ratios? At least you can check it before and after easily enough.
                        Police and civilian boxes have same steering ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                          Police and civilian boxes have same steering ratio.
                          I think he was referring to the difference between a civilian box and whale police car.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                            I think he was referring to the difference between a civilian box and whale police car.
                            Whale boxes also have same ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                              I could have sworn that this was a quicker turning ratio over stock box bodied panthers.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Another option, instead of a coupler you could have a custom line made. Basically you'd cut the crimp off the pump end of the shiny new line and remove that piece of steel tube. Do the same thing with a box style line, but toss the rubber part of the box hose. Have a hydraulic shop assemble the piece that goes into a box power steering pump into the hose that goes into a whale steering box. It shouldn't be all that difficult a job for them, and I don't expect it would cost a ton either.
                              I was thinking about it. Picked up the union part today though. If that proceeds to give me trouble I will look into that route as it would in the end be a hell of a lot cleaner looking.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Most of the difference is in the torsion bar. I think the turn ratio and lock to lock travel is the same from 79-2002 though. The difference in feel between a sloppy box and one that works right is probably why it feels so much quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X