No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think mine were about $12.99 for a pair plus shipping. I had to buy two pairs though because my car is a 4-door. Can't remember where I got them though. Probably have a reciept around somewhere. I didn't rivet them in though, I used the bolts that came with the set.

Comment

The only way I would ever re-rivet the door handles was if I was using a pneumatic rivet gun. Otherwise nylocks and phillips head bolts are the way to go to make sure everything is secured safely without damaging the paint. The ones I purchased just came as is with no hardware, though that doesn't matter because the old handles were already removed from my car for primer and replaced with nuts an bolts.

Car was supposed to get painted tomorrow but with temps expected to be up near 100 degrees one cannot paint a car.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Car was supposed to get painted tomorrow but with temps expected to be up near 100 degrees one cannot paint a car.
        yeah that good idea to wait until when the weather become cool down.
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Damn weather.... painting in that kind off heat does keep the runs at bay though
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I hope it's cooler in NY state today. Can't wait to see your car with fresh paint!

Packman

Comment

Sorry if i missed this dave but where did you get your door handles from?? I'd like NOS but if there are decent aftermarket ones i wont mind getting 4... I'm definitely getting those NOS mirrors for mine tho! (the manual ones rather lol)

*correction: I just bought them *
              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 07-26-2010, 03:16 PM.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Pm'd ya Phil..and Nice grab on some of the mirrors.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i put new door handles on project 79 with a harbor freight 1/4" hand rivet gun....worked fine, the mustang door handles are the same.....you can get the door handles in black too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

im concerned with the chrome quality of aftermarket compared to OEM...
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Well if it makes you feel any better the handles I purchased are metal.
                      ~David~

Comment

Painted Halo Headrests

When I first purchased these, many years ago, they were already in poor shape. Numerous cracks and fading throughout the two headrests. Just now I get around to making them look a tad better!

I used Duplicolor Professional Flexible primer to prep the headrests and for its final coat of color I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint Desert Sand in color.

The multiple coats of primer and paint definitely took cars of some black spots ans numerous cracks and gouges. They definitely look much better than what I started with. I was a little hesitant about painting them for fear of messing something up but I am really glad I did because the difference is great. They are no longer an eyesore.

The products:

I only used about a half can of flex primer and a full can of the color to cover both headrests.

Before shots with the headrests wiped down with wax and grease remover:

First coat of flexible primer:

Second coat of flexible primer:

First coat of color:

And final coat:

The finished product:

Looks better to me!

Next up on my list of things to do is restoring my wheels well trims.
                        ~David~

Comment

Looks better to me!

Next up on my list of things to do is restoring my wheels well trims.
                          Nice! they look good, it'll be interesting to see how well the vinyl paint holds up.

How do you plan on restoring the wheel well trims? I want to do this at some point but it sounds expensive...
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Should hold up fine. I have used this stuff before. I currently have some on my horn pad and that is not cracking at all with all of the use it gets.

These headrests are just for show so everything should be fine for me anyway.

Some of the trims have some dents in it so all I am going to do is tap out the dents, sand out the stress marks caused by the dents (starting with something around 220 grit and ending up around 2000 grit) and then polish everything out. My main concern is to just get the trims flatter and this technique works. Not a true resto per-say, but it will work for me just fine.
                            ~David~

Comment

Some of the trims have some dents in it so all I am going to do is tap out the dents, sand out the stress marks caused by the dents (starting with something around 220 grit and ending up around 2000 grit) and then polish everything out. My main concern is to just get the trims flatter and this technique works. Not a true resto per-say, but it will work for me just fine.
                              Whoever showed you this technique must've been an extremely brilliant and handsome person.

Comment

Originally posted by cheesesteakjim View Post
                                whoever showed you this technique must've been an extremely brilliant and handsome person. :d
                                ha!
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X