85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that looks great john!

The way you are approaching this, you could of the epitome of sleeper status, almost kinda like a F.A.S.T. approach.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Oooh Love the air cleaner never thougt about using one of those for CFI

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
        that looks great john!

The way you are approaching this, you could of the epitome of sleeper status, almost kinda like a F.A.S.T. approach.
        yeah, F.A.S.T. racing has given me a few ideas. This car should basically be qualified for a theoretical 80s F.A.S.T. class except for the headers and the heads, and even the heads will have any evidence of unfordness removed.

Chitown, I think the CFI cleaners fit differently and are even more unobtanium, but it'd be a neat thing to see done.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Looks good!!!

Thanks Dave for posting that, now I dont have to lol.

But the sad part is, if you still have A/C, you cant use that breather setup, Ive tried. I had the same factory dual snorkel 5.0 HO breather, though mine was from a Ex-Police Baby LTD, but the right snorkel slopes downwards too much, and hits the A/C pump. Im not sure if you could put a carb spacer on and make it work, as I never tried with that breather, but I doubt it. Thats why I just made my own Dual Snorkel breather, which fits perfectley.

Oh, and if you want a 5.8 4V H.O breather Lid, they came only on trucks an vans so equipped, theyre hard to find, but theyre out there.

---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
          ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Well, that's annoying, to say the least.

How severely did it interfere? I'm thinking maybe I could bend or cut the snorkel to fit. Who knows.

Your setup looks pretty good though, so I could always just copy you. It's probably where I got the idea from anyway and had just forgotten.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

i will be making a custom one from the factory air cleaner for GMGT. yet, i dont have A/C, so its all good

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                Oh, and if you want a 5.8 4V H.O breather Lid, they came only on trucks an vans so equipped, theyre hard to find, but theyre out there.
                What part is this referring to?

Oh. Just a typo, you meant air cleaner lid.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well I'm done collecting the significant components for the work this spring, so I thought I'd post the combo. I might get some pics up in the next few days

4160 Holley carb (6619 list# 600CFM from 1980C10) with bowls from a 4180 off an 85 mustang, allowing for stock-ford looking evap. system routing and more of the stock-ford look I'm going for (the bowls say Ford on them with an E5 part number)

early 80s iron 4V truck intake. Obviously this may be a restriction point, but it's simple to adapt for a n00b like me, and the ports at the heads are actually the size of a Performer RPM unit. Plus, it was 40 bucks.

Edelbrock 8053 EGR plate between intake and carb

Mustang HO Air cleaner assembly.
                  If the snorkels interfere (I think the EGR space may help them clear, plus a few ideas I have) I will run it without the snorkels and eventually copy the setup pictured on post #244, possibly including holes in the inner fender for super-cool air. I located a local Ontario company who had a 5.8 HO 4V decal like pictured in that post for something like 15 bucks to my door.

Other than maybe putting in a couple new lifters because at least one is weak/collapsed, the internals stay for the time being

New VC gaskets and the valve covers and intake resprayed in Ford gray.

Keeping the original rod TV linkage. 4door showed me a setup on a 2-barrel holley that I'm hoping to approximate which looks fairly simply and stock.

stock distributor, with some wiring switched around and what is supposedly one of the last adjustable advance kits out there from Crane Cams

BBK shorty headers, chrome and wrapped in dark grey header wrap so at a glance it looks like painted iron manifolds (who knows if that'll work, but I'll try)

BBK 2 1/2 H-pipe with converters and air pipes

Thrush welded mufflers, 2 1/2 in-out offset/offset

Dynomax Impala SS 2 1/2 mandrel bent tailpipes with stock-style turndowns right at the bumper

I've also accrued a few parts from here and fleabay and some serious generosity on 4door's part, so I'll be putting new headlight bezels, window switch bezels, probably front bumper, wheel cap centers, mirror, and a few other things on. OH and an extra horn because why the eff not.

I also have a little minor rust repair to do and hopefully solving the grabby brake issue once and for all on the rear passenger wheel.

All that and whatever else I have time/money for and I'll be off to STAP in June to see how disappointed I am by it all on the highway and at the track.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your experience with the ss tail pipes.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I like your approach to this whole thing, but don't be looking to set the world on fire with this round of modifications. I liked the sound of the 4bbl swap, but didn't really feel a performance gain.

I think a cam and heads are required to get any appreciable extra power out of these engines.

I like the stock appearance plan, though. Mine will have stockish colors and a 'subdued' appearance, but I am using an open element air cleaner, braided hose and AN fittings (black ones) and some Lokar goodies. So it won't be nearly as authentic as yours, but it will be sleepy. I am painting the polished aluminum CVs, wire looms, and air cleaner,

Pictures would be nice, if you can manage it.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        I like your approach to this whole thing, but don't be looking to set the world on fire with this round of modifications. I liked the sound of the 4bbl swap, but didn't really feel a performance gain.

I think a cam and heads are required to get any appreciable extra power out of these engines.

I like the stock appearance plan, though. Mine will have stockish colors and a 'subdued' appearance, but I am using an open element air cleaner, braided hose and AN fittings (black ones) and some Lokar goodies. So it won't be nearly as authentic as yours, but it will be sleepy. I am painting the polished aluminum CVs, wire looms, and air cleaner,

Pictures would be nice, if you can manage it.
                        Thanks.

yeah I'm not expecting big performance gains. as I've said in another thread, if I can do a 16 1/4 mile I'll be happy. If I'm a half second or so off that, I won't really be surprised.

The next round of mods will be a valve body, heads, and cam, probably in that order.

Comment

Can't wait for the showdown!
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

sounds like a healthy budget build. you can always get a truck 351W and slowly build it. would love to see you car when complete!

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                              sounds like a healthy budget build. you can always get a truck 351W and slowly build it. would love to see you car when complete!
                              I finally picked up a compression tester (retiring mechanic selling his toolbox ftw), and if I have compression issues with the current motor I'll be in the market for a new shortblock down the road. Depending on how bad it is the saving would start with a 408 or larger stroker kit...

And hell yeah, I wanna see your mini-collection too.
                              Last edited by johnunit; 03-24-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

go big or go home eh? lol i like your direction!

Comment

Working...
                                X