85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of one step forward, two steps back, but I've made some progress

3 new tie rods (1 was replaced soon after I bought the car). Miscounted the threads and had to do a lot of twisting to correct 4.25 degrees(!) of toe-out when I put it on the alignment rack.

And she finally runs more or less how I want. Choke is set more or less properly, and she does a burnout.

Also still drones so badly my phone camera and mic can't handle it, but I had to video it anyway.

295's tire and 2.73 gears, stock converter, stock longblock, and it'll still roast both tires. Whatever else this car is, I'm proud of that.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

gotta love how the autofocus didn't work until you were done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The exhaust was doing that. It focuses as soon as I cut the ignition.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

that's a trip.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Woah with the camera maddness.

Thats a low end torque burnout!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Posted some videos of a slightly less static nature in the Multimedia section

Suffice to say, autocross is a blast, and these cars were not made for it at all. That's half the fun though.

Comment

added some more videos to the thread above after autocrossing again,

I also bought a couple pictures from the club photographer. In the one from the rear you can see the smoke and gravel and skidmarks from the rear tires.

Then my dad pointed out there were literally no pictures of me and the car...

Click image for larger version

Name:	9870fd47-5a0b-41af-ad07-f10c6bced32a_zpsadifchl7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1278234Click image for larger version

Name:	61807874-150906OMSC-1006662.jpg
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1278235Click image for larger version

Name:	61807876-150906OMSC-1005579 (1).jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1278236
                Last edited by johnunit; 09-11-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Nice! I wish my car looked half that good!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Great shots. Looks good
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What kind of tires are the whitewalls? I'd like a set for my 15x7 wheels, I want 235/60 but all I can find are BFG Radial T/A and Cooper Cobra GT's.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        What kind of tires are the whitewalls? I'd like a set for my 15x7 wheels, I want 235/60 but all I can find are BFG Radial T/A and Cooper Cobra GT's.
                        Those are homebrew whitewalls.

Is that my girdle I see?

Looks like tons of fun, will try and make it up there one of these weeks.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If I were gonna make my own, I'd go for the wide whitewall, from the rim out to the tread shoulder. A pair of those on my Outlaw II wheels would look awesome, thinking more so if I paint them black.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                            They started as Mickey Thompson sportsman s/t. Good tire so far. Quiet and grips better than any radial t/a or similar. Still too soft sidewalled and hard compound to be a real performance tire.

You might wanna see if Diamondback bases their tires in that size on a Michelin defender (fantastic tire) or the total shit Radial T/A they use for big sizes.

I'd definitely go wide white if I was sticking with the draglite wheels long term. But I cover them up with the factory wire covers sometimes and may go with a different wheel altogether eventually so I like the oem size whitewalls.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Those are homebrew whitewalls.

Is that my girdle I see?

Looks like tons of fun, will try and make it up there one of these weeks.
                              Yep, looks awesome but required a lot of grinding to fit the police bar. It still hits a little over big dips in the road. Not enough grinding to weaken it though so meh

Comment

What does the girdle do?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                                X