No announcement yet.

85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helps keeping the carrier bearing caps in place.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
      What does the girdle do?
      Helps keep this from happening:

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yikes. It looks like a cross between a splitting headache and a pain in the butt.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah, the cover/girdle is about an inch thick and has two bolts that you set up to just touch the caps. That way it resists them twisting from torque, which is how stuff usually breaks.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Helps keep this from happening
            And what causes that to happen? I've never seen that before. Looks like something that would happen with a lot of power or with a manual transmission if you dump the clutch in 1st. I did that in my truck a few times, dumped it in 1st at about 2000 since that's where it started to get into its high torque range and it'd roast the tire. Only did it a few times when my old dry rotted tires needed replacing, hope I didn't damage it too much, sure don't want to do that.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
              And what causes that to happen? I've never seen that before. Looks like something that would happen with a lot of power or with a manual transmission if you dump the clutch in 1st. I did that in my truck a few times, dumped it in 1st at about 2000 since that's where it started to get into its high torque range and it'd roast the tire. Only did it a few times when my old dry rotted tires needed replacing, hope I didn't damage it too much, sure don't want to do that.
              Sticky tires + axle hop. It's why I tell everyone doing a manual swap they should at minimum do poly control arm bushings out back, and really should reinforce the arms and mounting points if they plan on regularly beating on it.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If it happens to my truck, it'll be the excuse I need to put some 3.73's in it (up the torque a bit from the 3.42's) and a Detroit True-Trac. My Lincoln, not afraid of it happening, even with my old tires it doesn't want to spin them, and when it does in the rain there isn't axle hop.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

The car has been apart with what is hopefully a skipped timing chain for a while now, haven't been able to finish the job because of real-life stuff.

I did find time to throw together a compilation of it doing it's thing during my commute. I wanna emphasize that this is some of the craziest stuff I've done in many thousands of miles of driving the same roads, and not all of them are moves I'd pull again.

Anyway, it sounds badass, and you can get a sense of how much oomph it has in the top of first, which I shift out of around 50mph. Also that it has just the right combination of no bottom end + stupid sticky tires that you can pretty much mat it anytime you're pointed straight and not spin the tires.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Nice. Just be careful out there.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Still working on the timing chain stuff slowly, lots of cleaning and painting and weight reduction as I go.

Question:
                      I bought 200 rate 14 inch Speedway Springs and am a bit concerned it'll sit low compared to my stock civilian Springs up front. Is there a non-rednecked way of boosting the spring? Anyone have a 0.5-1 inch spring cup or something they can confirm works well?

This thing gets absolutely beaten on as my videos show so I don't wanna do anything too hokey.

Comment

Oh and I'm considering these wheels to replace the light and sexy but wobbly and weak drag lites.

Anyone have experience with how big a quality or weight sacrifice these are? Price seems too good to be true but the size and style is almost perfect.

Comment

"cast" wheels are not strong. Billet milled or forged wheels are what you want for strength. Even then, you definitely want to inspect them before and after each event.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

unfortunately, it looks like there's basically nothing that's either of those and rated for racing with turns in a car this big without going to big diameters and even bigger prices.

Comment

well crap. Might have to make the wallet squeak more then. Or run steelies.

Comment

The Energy Suspension upper spring isolators are about 1/2". Takes the place of the stock wafer thin rubber ones and will give you that much lift. The spring is still very much piloted in the upper frame pocket so it can't go anywhere it doesn't belong.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X