No announcement yet.

My '90 LTD Crown Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/4 of the intake is done....i need a die grinder the next time i even think about doing this.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I've done the maths and it seems like a DIY 347 shortblock from fordstrokers.com would actually be cheaper than having my stock block done and purchasing a 347 stroker kit locally. When the time comes I think that might be the route I will take.

if anyone is considering building a stroker: www.fordstrokers.com
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

...and it wouldn't even *be* locally. 10hr round trip to the place that would machine/build my 347 shortblock vs having fordstrokers send me one for a few hundred bucks.
        sigpic

Comment

10 HOURS to the nearest competent machine shop?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

there are places closer that do machine work but they do not do engines normally. this place has the reputation and capability/facility.

there's just no demand for it anymore so nobody does it. reman vs rebuild
            sigpic

Comment

Only dinosaurs like us rebuild engines.

Packman

Comment

It's been going slowly. Between laziness and having little time to work on it and winter burying the car, I haven't gotten much done. There's still no intake manifold on the engine, I'm prettymuch done porting the new one though. Gotta match the upper intake, paint 'em and they'll be good to go.

Need to get an injector filter and o-ring kit from RJM injection, and I need to rig up an injector cleaner, syringe/9v battery/carb cleaner style.

I still need to pull shit off of the front of the motor. Fan/shroud/rad are all still there and gotta go if I'm going to be replacing the cam. The fan shroud won't go back on, I've got a 90 Town Car shroud/coolant tank and airbox/snorkel from an aero vic to go on when it's time to put the induction on.

Shouldn't take too long. I should take the lifters apart and clean them while I'm in this far. I wish I had the $$ to replace the heads, but the shitmobile is eating up $$ too.
                sigpic

Comment

today it's missing a radiator, condenser, transmission cooler, and fan shroud. tomorrow hopefully i'll get those bolts out of the goddamn radiator fan. when that's done, onward to victory.

it's nice working on a car you like when you aren't in a hurry. i work on cars i don't like and am rushed most of the time
                  sigpic

Comment

Is this for and HO cam swap or what?

Ugh those stupid fan bolts are almost worth going electric in and of themselves. Just a wee bit too tight to fit gearwrenches too...

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                      Ugh those stupid fan bolts are almost worth going electric in and of themselves. Just a wee bit too tight to fit gearwrenches too...
                      THIS!

and I'm pondering a 130A upgrade for the truck and e-fans already.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It's indeed nice to have a toy to work on. So much less stressful.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                          Is this for and HO cam swap or what?

yeah, 95 cobra cam. less peak hp than the HO cam but more peak torque apparently. at least that's what the corral tells me...and you know how factual they can be

.479 lift with 1.7s...I still have my 1.6s and E6 heads on there for now. It will get cylinder heads and 1.7 roller rockers when I can afford to do such a thing.

After this debacle with the fan bolts, I'm strongly considering putting in a 2 speed electric fan. I doubt if I'd even need two speeds, actually. There's a lot of space in these engine bays so I think it should be pretty easy to pick a fan to put in there.
                          sigpic

Comment

rad supports look pretty after a few coats of flat black high heat paint. gonna use the same stuff on the intakes i think.

hopefully borrowing a harmonic balancer puller tomorrow.
                            sigpic

Comment

balancer is off, valvetrain is out and i'm disassembling some lifters. lots of tasty stuff inside em
                              sigpic

Comment

finished going through the lifters. clean as a whistle.

coming along slowly but steadily.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X