Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 merc marquis brougham + GMGT rebirth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, had a pretty good summer with this car but, storage time is upon us. Hope to get a quick video before it goes into storage for winter. Also, still very happy with the lentech street terminator AOD. Works awesome with the revised VB. And it chirps the tires from 1st-2nd.

I was not able to get everything done that I wanted this year but, who wants to complete a car 100%, right? lol. That being said, the rims need to be updated. I really like the cragar soft 8 chrome rims but, they are kind of expensive to get(for what they are) and after seeing some recent pictures of other MGMs, true spoke wire rims keep coming up in my brainstorms. I am trying to find a pic of a 2-door that has standard offset wire rims. I keep finding cars with lowrider reverse offset rims. I am thinking a subtle chrome set of chrome wire rims, 15x8/15x7, with my current tires, would look kind of cool and be a bit different. I don't know, should I pursue this or just stick with the cragars? Thoughts?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I've batted around the idea of real wire wheels. It could look nice.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I have been thinking about this all summer long. I get lots of mixed reviews. Thing is, I can get wires for roughly the same price as the cragars. I need to make a decision before spring.

Comment

I can't remember the username, but there was member on here that had 20" wires on his MGM. They looked really good on that car. I think that car burned though. Too bad, as it was a beautiful car.

Packman

Comment

ltdcrwnvic, that is the username and he still posts. His sig pic has his old car. Although the wheels are 20", they really looked nice on his box.

Packman

Comment

I know the car but, I would only be sticking with 15 inch rims. My mind would be made up, if I bumped into a set of true spoke rims that don't use knock offs. Like true spoke or appliance wheel company. Cragar star wire rims look sweet but holy shit, they are very pricey.

Comment

The winter blues have driven me to buying parts lol. I ordered an NOS grille and lowering springs from speedway motors. Also going to have gauges coming from sly and NOS fender louvers. I think I want to go with correct year fenders and bumper. I have a line on a bumper but, not 100%. So, I am gathering parts over the winter, to be installed come spring.

Comment

Well shit, $1700+ shipping for correct fenders and bumpers. That's not including paint. Well, that Idea is out the door. How ever, I have a line on a '79 front bumper. Only thing that I'm on the fence about is, the license plate location. I don't know why but, its something I think about.

In other news, my springs are on their way. 925s up front and 175s rear. I think someone on here ended up cutting a coil out from the 925s? I may entertain this idea.

Now, I wait for my gauges and other NOS stuff to arrive. Also have to harvest some parts from a buddies '88 MGM.

Comment

79' bumper has the license plate mount in the center. I don't mind it.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I should buy it any way, really. A re chromed '79 bumper is worth having around.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                        In other news, my springs are on their way. 925s up front and 175s rear. I think someone on here ended up cutting a coil out from the 925s? I may entertain this idea....

How much lower did that put the car? Only reason I ask is because I've seen AFCO springs that are 9.5" tall with the same ID as the Tru-Coils. Since I haven't considered making my CV any lower than it already is, I don't know how much the 9.5" springs will drop a box Panther.

Packman

Comment

I think it was pesty's vic. By looking at his pics, the front of his car sits at a good height. Also, I think it was Mr. ltd who put in t-bird SC rear spring in the front, for a 3'' drop. Having a hard time tracking that info because, I am late to the suspension game lol. But, it seems that the regular 12''/925 on the front is a decent drop.

Comment

It was almost 2" for mine with those springs on crap shocks. I regained about .25" with the Bilstein shocks. I would consider dropping it a little more if my exhaust didn't hang so low. Gonna fix that this Spring though.

Packman

Comment

I would like to get a 2.5'' drop. Maybe even 3''. I have to do my research.

But anyway, my first shipment of parts! One never installed NOS grille and three fender vents. I have five more coming. Total of two sets.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Perty
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X