1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your wish is my command!

Welded in all the panels this morning but also had to patch a rusty and thin spot above them in the corner (went through with the media blaster). Quite difficult to cut it all out up there, but my trusty air saw came to the rescue again!

I had to peel back the cargo area panel in the front corner and hold it up with a screwdriver so I could weld it.

Any panels I won't have access to when it is all finished I etch primed and painted red (avoiding any flanges I need to spot weld soon) to prevent corossion inside

I had to cut a good corner out to get access a few days ago

This now needs closing off, so I made up a panel with a step/joddle and an overlap to try these new modern adhesives that some manufacturers use to bond panels on. Supposedly stronger than welding and seal the joints at the same time.

Heres the panel

and heres the glue

Heres the new corner panel in place

Lets see how strong it is in a few days.

I used the same adhesive to bond a 1.6mm reinforcement panel to the top of the frame mount hole but will still tack it into place tomorrow to prevent shear fractures (twist).

Compere the view now to what it was a few days ago

Bit better!

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Awesome. I always wondered about those panel adhesives. Eager to see how it holds up.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

wow, I can't say I've ever seen this in-depth of a restore on a panther chassis car. Looks great.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Managed to persuade a straight piece of steel to curve into the right place!

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Wow This is gonna be one sharp lookin car when she's done

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
            351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
            duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
              How long to get these skills? Started bodywork when I was about 19, and I'm 49 now. Thats 30 years practice. WOW!
              that's a bit discouraging to start doing body work on my cars
              Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

Gotta start somewhere.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ÆJackacks View Post
                  that's a bit discouraging to start doing body work on my cars

Don't forget that this is not my day job, so anybody with any enthusiasm could learn the skills a LOT quicker and produce good results very quick.
                  Learn to weld and bend steel in a vice, angle iron, hands etc.... , pick up some equipment bit by bit, and you are away.

Don't be put off. Get stuck in.
                  How much are you going to save in labour costs? And having the satisfaction of doing a job yourself.
                  I would quite happily help you if we were a bit closer!

Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    wow, I can't say I've ever seen this in-depth of a restore on a panther chassis car. Looks great.
                    I agree. The quality of work done here....even on parts of the car that no one will ever to see....I really want to see how this turns out.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Onto seat belt reinforcement panel replacement.

In the rear seat area the metal around the seat belt bolts is not good, Can't risk this, so out they come

Heres one already marked for cutting, with slots cut with the cut off wheel to get the air saw through

Heres my favourite tool of all time!!

Out it comes

Heres one I cut out earlier

New plate being joddled

Ready to media blast the rusty plate and weld on and weld back in

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

This is incredible stuff. I'm sure this car will bring about the phrase "better than new" a few times when it's done.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Managed to weld all 3 plates in

Andy.
                          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post

So THAT'S where I left my crayons!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

That pic reminds me of when I first looked through my car. I found pencil crayons, happy meal toys, and this funny note from a little girl to a little boy about being mean. I should scan it sometime.

I can only imagine what would show up if I stripped it out to the point of re-welding seat belt mounting points. Wow.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Anyway, final bit of structural welding done today on the seat belt bolt reinforcing plates.
                                Media blasted them all and welded them back in,

This was the one above at the start

Then repaired the drivers and passenger front seats reinforcing panel.

Not bad since this is how it started out!

First coat of silver epoxy mastic 2 pack paint went on with a brush. Bit of a poor photo but I'll get better ones tomorrow.

Andy.

By the way, crayons have now gone!
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X