No announcement yet.

1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of right now, I used a waterproof craft epoxy to stick it to the column immediately behind the grille. The cable runs above the plastic air shroud, behind the headlights, and next to the battery where I zip-tied the control box into place.

I'll probably try a stronger epoxy to secure it. Being a heavy-duty "craft" epoxy, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be flexible or not; it had a decent amount of wiggle to it when I checked it today. If I need to, I'll make a bracket that screws into the sides of the column.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
      As of right now, I used a waterproof craft epoxy to stick it to the column immediately behind the grille. The cable runs above the plastic air shroud, behind the headlights, and next to the battery where I zip-tied the control box into place.

I'll probably try a stronger epoxy to secure it. Being a heavy-duty "craft" epoxy, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be flexible or not; it had a decent amount of wiggle to it when I checked it today. If I need to, I'll make a bracket that screws into the sides of the column.
      two-part epoxy works pretty good
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
        two-part epoxy works pretty good
        I double checked the epoxy I used. It's supposed to remain flexible. Gave the light a soft tug and it didn't wanna pop off. So I applied a few more dabs on each side of the column to try to alleviate any twisting. I also zip-tied the control cable higher to control how much weight is pulling that side down. It's remained level all day, I think I got 'er down now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KRLight2R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1264380 Click image for larger version

Name:	KRLight1R.jpg
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1264381

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

i need one! for each ride..hah
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I see what you did there.

I'm planning to get one for the MGM and the Vic. Don't think I'll adulterate the Mark with one though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

WOW, why is that so redic cheap, especially with the remote?? I'm extremely temped to get it...
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

ships from Hong Kong... probably cost them 50¢

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  WOW, why is that so redic cheap, especially with the remote?? I'm extremely temped to get it...
                  There's really not much to it. Plus it's all plastic and whatnot, puny 26 gauge wires, and it's packed in a flimsy box with not all correct English. It can't cost that much to make.

If you want one, wouldn't hurt to get one. I asked someone on YouTube about theirs, and they've been using it for over a year now. That's gotta be worth the pocket change.

sigpic

Comment

they are cheap. butn they dont resemble anything of the origonal one on the knight rider car. the origonal one has to be hand made. you would only end up using the control box. someone should try to get two scanners and hook it up like the knight rider mustang lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      they are cheap. butn they dont resemble anything of the origonal one on the knight rider car. the origonal one has to be hand made. you would only end up using the control box. someone should try to get two scanners and hook it up like the knight rider mustang lol
                      Upon opening the control box, there is a second port underneath the one that leads to the light bar that looks identical. I imagine that you could buy a second unit and plug both light bars into one control box. But as far as I've seen, they only sell complete units, so whoever would have an extra control box and matching remote. Spares I suppose. I thought about trying this and putting the second bar immediately below the first for an extra large scanner...but I think I like the thinner one as it's more discrete.

sigpic

Comment

June 2011 Scottmang Service

Some updates on the Cherry Bomb...

Scottmang had her for the week. Went up for brakes; left with: new right rear axle, Trac-Loc (kept the 2.73 gears), Tripminder, new low oil switch, cap/rotor, locks, passenger seat track, and all new brakes on all four corners. Scott's videos be below.

And in other news...temporarily patched a leak in the on-board air system. Will eventually redo most of it once the car can sit for more than a day. So now the compressors don't come on every 15-30 minutes.

Installed a new Sony Xplod Bluetooth stereo head unit. Speakers are to follow. Just need to get some for the dash to replace the whole set up. Still have the stock rear deck speakers. Trying to go with an all Sony system, but I'm having trouble finding Xplod 4" for the dash...

And then maybe I'll finally get around to getting my CB and Marquis police speedo in there...

sigpic

Comment

oh so you did buy the 140 from mark nice I really love the look of your car with the finder skirts off and the lincoln hubcaps

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                            oh so you did buy the 140 from mark nice I really love the look of your car with the finder skirts off and the lincoln hubcaps
                            I did...gotta get some red LEDs for it before I put it in.

I like the hubcaps as well, I'm curious how they would look with skirts on though. But since the rear quarter is misshapen, no skirts for now. Can't wait to get my turbines powdercoated from Ryan.

sigpic

Comment

CB Radio

Gots my new Cobra 29LX LE CB radio installed over the weekend. Temporary 40" whip with magnetic base on the roof right now. Will be looking into getting a trunk mount Wilson 1000 here soon, just like Scottmang has.

Name:	CBRadio2R.jpg
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1265444

Got it tuned as per the Cobra instructions. SWR meter was fairly low on 1, 20, and 40. Weather channels come in fairly clear for the area. Ran down the road, got a few channels in; but the reception could've been better...low signal strength. Hopefully tonight going to work, I'll be able to pull a few more signals.

Name:	CBRadio1R.jpg
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	1265443

Gotta love new toys to play with.

sigpic

Comment

Scottfest has come and gone; and with that, a few upgrades have been done.

Gots my new CB antenna installed, a Wilson 1000. Haven't used the CB much the past couple days, but already shows improvement in SWR readings and signal strength. And looks a lot better than that little magnet mount one.

Name:	CBRadio3R.jpg
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	1265703 Click image for larger version

Name:	CBRadio4R.jpg
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	1265704 Click image for larger version

Name:	CBRadio5R.jpg
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	1265705

Thanks to John and Pete, Cherry also has a functional trunk muncher! A last minute add-on after I saw it in action for once...I do appreciate all y'all's work.

Another shoutout goes to Matt for the PA speaker and auto dim mirror. The speaker bracket repair is curing at this very moment.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X