1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sickness

lOVE your 88 man! You inspired me to fix my 88 up. So I registered for this forum. It's been sitting in my drive way the past 15 years. Today She started right up after 15 years. I was surprised, She Idled out a few times but after i got some fresh gas in her she was running great. Installed a new alternator as the original one was not putting out a charge. Everything else seems to be in great running condition. Breaks our still factory and barley used. Mileage it has 6563 Original Milage.

Comment

I'm trying to look for the black siding... any ideas? any how did you take all the trim off to repaint? Mine is all oxidized.

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastFelon View Post
        I'm trying to look for the black siding... any ideas? any how did you take all the trim off to repaint? Mine is all oxidized.
        Howdy mang, glad to hear that Cherry was able to inspire you to get your 88 runnin' again. You just can't beat these cars...smooth, reliable, cheap. Still use mine as a daily driver most the time.

The chrome trim is easy to repaint; the headlight bezels come off with three screws on each and pull right out. The grille is held on by six or so tabs on the back (you may have to crawl underneath the front and pop 'em loose with something, but be careful they like to break). The trunk lip trim is held on with eight acorn nuts from inside the trunk deck. And the taillight trim I had to tape off. I used Metallic Black Rustoleum, just to get some sparkle to it. Hit the chrome with sandpaper and put a coat on. Wait for it to dry and it hit with a higher grit sandpaper and give it another coat. Follow up with some clear coat. Nothin' but spray bombing. But you may have to repaint after a few years.

The black siding, as in the bump trim? Best luck is a junkyard or eBay. I'm not sure if they sell any aftermarket and have never had mine off to replace. The strips along the doors and fenders are held on by clips secured to the body, that's about all I know.

Good luck with your 88 mang.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

if you can avoid it... don't remove the black moldings on the doors. they're held on by plastic clips and they turn to dust when much force is put to them when removing the moldings. it would be better to mask them on the car and paint/dye them. good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

First update since forever

Finally pulled the car out from winter hibernation. Needed a new battery after sitting through the cold.

Had to make a quick run up to Skippyville to get a new radiator put in. Full aluminum two-row in her now. The RockAuto three-row I had was spewing coolant everywhere. After the 100 miles from here to there, half the engine bay was soaked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges1R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1268956

While up there, I took advantage of Ivan's meticulous wiring services; the ashtray was replaced with an 80s Sunpro LED gauge cluster. It's nice to know a little more than what speed I'm going and how much fuel I have left. With the warmer weather here, she'll be put back on the road a lot more. According to the Tripminder, despite my spirited driving, I still managed 21mpg on the 200 mile round trip.

sigpic
            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

YAY SHE'S BACK! 135mph speedometer swap? :p

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                YAY SHE'S BACK! 135mph speedometer swap? :p
                I figured you would bring that up. Yes, hopefully this year. I do need to grab a new speedometer cable beforehand though. Above 70mph, the needle starts squealing and jumping around. Wasn't too bad this trip, but before being put away for winter it once started acting up at 25mph.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                  I figured you would bring that up. Yes, hopefully this year. I do need to grab a new speedometer cable beforehand though. Above 70mph, the needle starts squealing and jumping around. Wasn't too bad this trip, but before being put away for winter it once started acting up at 25mph.
                  Let me know if you find one that fits. Rockauto doesn't have a speedometer cable with speed control that fits. It will attach to the speedometer head, however, it's too big on the speed sensor end, and will not fit into the sensor... And for whatever reason, dorman doesn't list an application for speed control.

Comment

That looks awesome Scott. Once again, glad you got it!
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

looks great scott mang where did you get that sunpro gauge pack?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Ebay purchase
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

hey scott , i got a nice set of 5 turbines that would look great on your car!!!!!!! ill let you have them real cheap if you want them!!!!!!!!
                          '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                          "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                          "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                          "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                          "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Originally posted by grandwagon View Post
                            hey scott , i got a nice set of 5 turbines that would look great on your car!!!!!!! ill let you have them real cheap if you want them!!!!!!!!
                            Thanks mang, but I've got a set of five waiting to be powdercoated by Ryan.

sigpic

Comment

Of which work will begin when I return from PA this weekend

-ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Gotta get my other two wheels up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X