Project Wagon Queen Family Truckster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LTD86 View Post
    Well, I started out with the easier modifications first. First I swapped the drivers side mirror out for the 79 one.
    This.

I don't suppose you have pics of how you got the window glass out? I salvaged the front doors off my erstwhile '79 wagon for just this purpose, and I have the mirror off of one, but I confess I have no idea how to remove the glass.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      This.

I don't suppose you have pics of how you got the window glass out? I salvaged the front doors off my erstwhile '79 wagon for just this purpose, and I have the mirror off of one, but I confess I have no idea how to remove the glass.
      I don't have pictures, but it is VERY easy. All you need is the 79 mirror, 79 mirror bracket, and 79 glass. Remove everything that can get in the way first on the doors (door panel, mirror, mirror bracket, dew wipe, ect.) The glass is only held on by two rivets. Move the window up/down until you can see the rivets through the back of the door, and drill them out with a helper holding the glass so it does not fall back inside the door. Then finagle the glass out through the window frame.

To reinstall the 79 glass to an 80-91 door pull out the existing glass (2 rivets) and then insert 79 glass into window frame and re-rivet or bolt back into place. I used a couple of 1/4-20 stainless bolts with washers and nylock nuts. The mirror is just a matter of drilling a couple of holes in the window frame, modifying the dew wipe a little and screwing it in. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to answer them. IMO the 79 mirrors are way better than the ones mounted on the door!

Comment

I agree, the '79-'80 mirrors are lots better. One of these days I mean to find out whether Fox-body mirrors could be pressed into Panther service, provided one could trim a later-model window to fit.

Just drill out the rivets, though? That's the step I find impossible, though I've scratched my head about it on and off for over 10 years. Here's what happens every time I try that (1/8" bit shown). Provided I can get the bit to stay on the protruding end of the rivet to start with (as this time I was), it invariable wanders and slips off the side, making it impossible to start again. What's your secret? Do you have a Dremel tool and cut the projection flush before starting?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 1987cp; 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I agree, the '79-'80 mirrors are lots better. One of these days I mean to find out whether Fox-body mirrors could be pressed into Panther service, provided one could trim a later-model window to fit.

Just drill out the rivets, though? That's the step I find impossible, though I've scratched my head about it on and off for over 10 years. Here's what happens every time I try that. Provided I can get the bit to stay on the protruding end of the rivet to start with (as this time I was), it invariable wanders and slips off the side, making it impossible to start again. What's your secret? Do you have a Dremel tool and cut the projection flush before starting?

The 79 glass that I got was already removed from the door, so I only had to deal with the existing glass on my door. One drilled perfectly with the center left intact, and the other one slipped off like yours, and I had to take a dremel with a cut-off wheel and cut the center flush and then restart. I used a very small drill bit (I wanna say 1/16) first all the way through, and then went to a larger one and it worked no problem.

I'm not sure how one would go about cutting a later model glass to fit a fox-body mirror. The glass is tempered, and when I asked a glass shop if I could cut down my glass to fit the 79 mirror, instead of purchasing the 79 glass, they told me that the second you would try to cut it, it would explode into a million pieces. It would be interesting to try though with the fox-body mirrors, provided you could get the glass cut, because they seem to be more plentiful then the 79 ones.

Comment

Thanks for that info! Sounds like my key is finding a way to cut or grind the protrusion off of the rivets, then. Guessing that must seem pretty obvious to someone more used to body repairs.

Interesting about the glass people. I'd envisioned laying out a line with tape on both sides and going very carefully with a diamond cutoff wheel, but presumably real glass guys would be used to that if it's a viable method? I know next to nothing about working with glass .... too bad I don't really have a scrap piece to practice with.

Comment

BTW, thanks again - I went out for a while, and successfully removed a piece of window glass for the very first time. I don't have a Dremel, but I was able to use a diamond burr bit to reshape the pictured rivet until I was able to sink a 5/32(?) bit into it.

The downside is that the rivets don't hold quite tight enough and the spinning melted divots in the plastic slider thing, but at least this particular slider was already broken and useless. Future attempts will have to involve some provision for holding the back of the rivets so that they don't spin.

Comment

Awesome! The attention to detail is AMAZING.

Is this a GMN exclusive project?
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Did I mention that I'm getting an urge to start buying up '79-'80 mirrors and door glass? :p

Comment

Did I mention that I'm getting an urge to start buying up '79-'80 mirrors and door glass? :p
                    Glad that your first attempt was a success! It becomes easy once you do it. Yea, I picked up an extra drivers side 79 mirror and bracket at the junkyard not too long ago just to have for future projects. I was surprised to see a 79. Someone already broke the glass, but the chrome was nice on the mirror so I got it. They are way better looking, and easier to see out of than the later ones. Collect them while you still can!

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                    Awesome! The attention to detail is AMAZING.

Is this a GMN exclusive project?
                    Thanks. I have probably watched the movie 100 times and pause it alot to get everything just right.

Hey if GMN wants to sponsor me and foot the bill for a paint job, I would have no problem with that!

Comment

Update

Well, I have been working on this thing slowly but surely. I almost got all of the wood trim fitted. The wood trim is by far the hardest part of making this car. All of the wood trim corner peices are handmade cast from fiberglass resin. The guy with the LS Truckster was nice enough to give me a trim corner that he made so I could cast the 60 or so more that I need for my car. Even though making a mold and casting them is fairly easy, not all of them are 90 degree corners and some end up on body lines so about half of them had to be cut apart to fit. Here's some new pictures.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You sure do need a lot of pieces.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

HOLLY SHIT TO BED!!!!that is a lot of mind numbing work!!!!!!!! you are doing a hell of a job, looks good!
                          '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                          "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                          "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                          "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                          "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

i would offer to paint it for you ,but i need to paint my own car first before i do any one elses, that way i can say if im any good or not
                            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Funny, I'd think running a functional fuel fill door in the hood would be the biggest challenge. It's coming along nicely!

Comment

Fuel fill in the hood ..... ? Got a pic of that?

Comment

Working...
                                X