Project Wagon Queen Family Truckster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Oh ok. Pics of the newly chromed bumper too! Hey while I'm on the subject, how much did that cost you to get the bumper rechromed?
    Here are some pics of the front bumper. It is hard to take pictures of chrome with or without the flash on. Also, sorry for the fingerprints on the chrome. My bumper is probably not a great example for price compairson since they had to straighten and smooth it out where I welded it. It cost me a little over $600 (ouch) to get replated, but it was alot more affordable than the 6 or so other places that I called, and I think it turned out looking fantastic!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LTD86 View Post
      Here are some pics of the front bumper. It is hard to take pictures of chrome with or without the flash on. Also, sorry for the fingerprints on the chrome. My bumper is probably not a great example for price compairson since they had to straighten and smooth it out where I welded it. It cost me a little over $600 (ouch) to get replated, but it was alot more affordable than the 6 or so other places that I called, and I think it turned out looking fantastic!
      Did that bumper originally have the grille inserts? Or did you cut them out when you modified the bumper?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Did that bumper originally have the grille inserts? Or did you cut them out when you modified the bumper?
        I got the bumper off an 80 and it originally had the grille inserts in it that were held in with a couple of bolts. They were missing when I bought the bumper. It does not make a difference for me that they are gone though because on the movie car, they replaced the grille inserts with a couple of pieces of fluorescent light fixture cover (the kind with the tiny 3/4 X 3/4 inch squares).

Comment

Really? Interesting, I never knew that!

Comment

Nice project,

And by the way, you can't have a thread on the Wagon Queen Family Truckster with out this...

1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Looking great! The color is going to be awesome...looks great in the jambs.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Wow! Great project! Good work.

Comment

That would be awesome! Can your friend make them with a white background? As for the size, I have the bumper in the back of the garage behind all the other parts for the car. When I get it dug out I will get back to you with a size.
                  Send me a PM when you get the size and I will get him to price it out and get however many made for you.

car is looking good I cant wait to see it done

Comment

this inspired me to check out pricing on re-chroming a rear bumper, no dents or anything, just some peeling/rust on the top... 1000 bucks. OUCH

Regardless,
                    Eager to see how this thing comes out. It looks like you're doing it the "right" way, and may end up with one of those movie car clones that's far nicer and more driveable than the original one in the movie.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Thanks for the compliments!

I have the soundtrack for the movie and I am going to rig up some speakers in the luggage on the roof so i can play holiday road when pulling in and out of car shows.

The paint color looks awesome in person. It is so ugly, it is perfect! This color is actually the exact color the movie car was painted. However, the paint they used on the movie car was single stage enamel, but I had it color matched to a base/clear for my car for a better quality and more durable finish.

Johnunit- 1000 for a bumper with no damage is crazy! I ended up calling about 6 or 7 places before I found a reasonable price. Most of the places I called wanted 1300-1500 each.

I am trying to do it the 'right' way. Granted it is not a hemi cuda restoration, but I am taking the same care where ever I can. I started out with a wagon that was in good condition with minimal rust. The rust that was there I cut out and rewelded patches in, and did not just cave it and pave it with filler. I hope to end up with a car that is better than the movie car, but I will never know since all the wagons they used in the movie have been destroyed.

Comment

Any recent Pics of the Truckster? I really would like to see this.

I've had the chorus part of that Holiday Road song stuck in my head since christmas, for some odd reason, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                          this inspired me to check out pricing on re-chroming a rear bumper, no dents or anything, just some peeling/rust on the top... 1000 bucks. OUCH
                          at least i have an idea now on pricing now
                          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                          1994 MGM GS Montigua
                          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                            Any recent Pics of the Truckster? I really would like to see this.

I've had the chorus part of that Holiday Road song stuck in my head since christmas, for some odd reason, lol.

The newest pictures I have of the car are the ones that I took over a week ago when just the jambs were painted. I am going to try to get down there by the end of this week and take some more pictures, because they should be finished painting it by now (they were shooting for finishing the paint last week). They are going to leave it sit a couple weeks before the final wetsand and buff, and then they are going to install the custom cut rear windows before I pick it up. I can't hardly wait to see the whole outside wearing the metallic pea!

Comment

so im gonna have to come by sometime and check her out.
                              1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                              1994 MGM GS Montigua
                              2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Waitaminute ... re-chroming a REAR bumper for a WAGON? The ones I have are aluminum (or so I recall). I'd assume they were just anodized in the first place, not chromed. Seems it'd be far easier to just polish and clearcoat it. I've got three on hand ... hafta double-check whether they're magnetic or not if I think of it.
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X