No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were part of a kit from Right Stuff Detailing. Summit sells them.
    Now to get this thing out of the basement. Appliance dolly time.
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I don't know how but I got this thing out of the basement myself! Keep in mind I weigh 150#. I'm not sure how much this thing goes but it was a bitch. The housing was easy to carry down but with it loaded DAMN!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0756.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1273893
      sigpic
      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
      "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Hercules! Hercules!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

appliance dolly for the win!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Been driving around easy for the gear break in. The brakes feel a little more like the 04 TC, but of course not quite as good.
            Speedo is accurate with a one tooth increase.
            The front end of the car now feels like it bounces compared to the rear. I ordered the 1150 rate speedway springs to help that out.
            I'm hoping the front doesn't go down much if at all. I want to keep the rake out of it. One thing giving me hope is the springs in it are original.

So this is with the original springs in front and 200 rate in the back.

Name:	DSC00008.JPG
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1274063Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1274064

I have never seen the front spring isolators on these cars or even a picture. There are rubber ones from Advance available (no pic in the listing) but does ES make one that will fit?
            sigpic
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Car looks damn good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                I don't know how but I got this thing out of the basement myself! Keep in mind I weigh 150#. I'm not sure how much this thing goes but it was a bitch. The housing was easy to carry down but with it loaded DAMN!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38672[/ATTACH]
                I gutted and cleaned the CV rear diff before carrying it into the basement. I didn't even try to get the 8.8 out of the basement loaded. I took it apart and carried it out in pieces. Then I reassembled it outside. I am 10# heavier than you, but experience told me not to try. I had to send it out to a shop to get it installed because I couldn't get the car high enough off the ground in teh driveway (with the equipment I have).

As far as the front spring cushions go; I got poly cushions as part of the front end rebuild kit from PST.

Packman

Comment

The springs came in. 5 1/2" OD and 4 1/8 ID.
                  I ordered ES isolator# 9.6120 that has 5 7/16 overall OD and 4 1/16 inner lip OD. There were 2 thicknesses to choose from 3/8 and 5/8. I picked the 5/8 to minimize the drop with this change.
                  Fingers crossed!!!
                  sigpic
                  13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

I just used whatever spring isolators came in the ES front end suspension kit. They fit fine on my speedway springs.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I think the isolators will work fine. Now for the first time doing front springs...
                      I'll put up a pic of the stance after install.

Name:	DSCI0769.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1274123

Meanwhile, The 04 must be jealous. The check engine light came on twice now for MAP sensor high reading.
                      So I look under the hood and traced manifold vacuum over the whole engine. I think there is no MAP sensor. It did seem odd though for the EGR to have 2 manifold vacuum lines. After searching for a while, found the MAP sensor is in the EGR. Don't you hate it when the answer is right there and you just don't see it.
                      Those things are pricey. I think it was $230 from the dealer. Rock Auto had the Motorcraft for $150 so I sent for it. Hope it's not a misprint. Even Duralast was $175!
                      sigpic
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Haven't done the front springs yet. Just driving in the good weather while it lasts. Decided it will wait till winter to do the front bushings at the same time.

Don't remember posting a pic of the engine's first configuration. This is with the ported D0VE heads and didn't make it off the stand before the SCJs were put on. Looks funny with the cap just sitting there.

Dash in the let's see stage.

A little better pic of the stance now with the rear done. I would be happy if the front comes up a bit to help off the line traction. Still crossing my fingers that the original springs are sagging plus the thick isolators will get the nose up.

Name:	DSCI0424.jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1276295Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0432.jpg
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1276296Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1276297Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0799.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1276298Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0802.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1276302
                        sigpic
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Looks killer as always! Putting the gear venders in during winter as well?
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Mmm stunning as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure if I'll get to the OD this winter or not. I'm so slow at doing the work on this!

Things sitting around waiting to be installed:
                              Gear Vendors overdrive, 3200 rpm at 65 sucks with the 3.55
                              New front bumper, nos side mirrors, 4 door handles... current ones are pitted
                              nos rear bumper guard, the existing one is crushed on pass side, glad it didn't get the bumper. PO must have rammed a pole.

I'll probably continue working on refreshing all the suspension first.
                              The rear bumper needs re-chromed as do the bumperettes on the front. Seen good feedback on chrome work done in Akron Ohio can't remember the name off hand.
                              Mirrors and handles will wait till doing the body work.
                              sigpic
                              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Love this car! Only thing I would think about doing is cutting the S-bend in the tailpipe off and just have it turn-down just before the rear bumper. Either way, you're still going to get that "WTH" factor from bystanders.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X