No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes. from memory all 8 bushings in the back are the same, but its been a while since i looked into that.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
      4) Changing to PI rear sway bar (hate the way Addco bar attaches)
      I know shit all about Boxes so consider that when you read this:

I just got an Addco for my Marauder, and will be putting the old Marauder bar on my '04 Marquis. The '04 currently has a P71 rear sway bar on it and I will have no use for it. If the whale rear bars fit boxes, you can have it free. The end links might even still be good as it's only been on the car for a year.

I probably won't tackle that until I have the Marauder out of storage, though. (March or April)
      '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
      formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        yes. from memory all 8 bushings in the back are the same, but its been a while since i looked into that.
        Cool, I'll have to pick up a set.

Comment

Taken from this thread:
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

A good suggestion and where to get it.
            That saves me some searching around!!!

Adam, I have purchased the swaybar from a forum member but thank you very much for the offer.
            Last edited by lincolnlarry; 12-25-2013, 10:22 PM.
            sigpic
            89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

no, the whale/aero bar will not fit a box without fabbing up some mounts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                no, the whale/aero bar will not fit a box without fabbing up some mounts.
                Good to know; thanks!
                '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
                formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

I had a cat that lived to 20 years, the current cats they are 8,7,4 years old. By the way good job on the lincolin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So starts the rear augmentation.

Only one bolt so far was frozen to it's bushing in a trailing arm. Sawsall took care of that. Shown are the remains of that bolt. Worked well if you don't mind the smell of burning rubber.
                    8 hours of work later and the rear is free of the car.
                    Picking up the PI bar and trailing arms today at the post office.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1273627Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0713.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1273628Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0714.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1273629
                    sigpic
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Gathering parts.

Need to wait for warmer weather to pull apart the rear in the garage. The torpedo heater won't keep up with the negative wind chill. Then I can measure and order the axels from Moser and send the housing to the welder.

The girls have to find out what's in the box too.

Name:	DSCI0717.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1273637Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0719.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1273638
                      sigpic
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

The gauges are quite fascinating

Comment

Rear end is almost unloaded.

I bought the rear disk swap parts back in like '09 or '10. This was before any thought of an engine swap. This was the first time I was able to verify if it fits or not. Happy to say this thing looks complete. Everything looks like it will work. The only thing I haven't checked the fit of is the parking cables. There are 2 in the kit but I can't be sure till I get under the car and take a look.

Name:	DSCI0721.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1273687
                          sigpic
                          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Nice! getting the handling and braking to match that monster engine.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The slow progress continues.

Rear is ready to go to the welder on Thursday. I decided to box up one axel to send to Moser to have it copied in the 31 spline flavor. I will ask them to send all the specs for reference if anyone is interested. Decided to get the Speedway 14" 200 rate springs to help with wheel hop. Hoping it will still drop the rear just a bit to get rid of the slight rake in the car. Should also help with traction. Energy Suspension coil isolators are also on the way.

I really like this disc conversion set now that I see the original parking brake cables are a direct fit on these calipers. Makes my life a lot easier! Looked back and found out I got them from Summit. Right Stuff detailing is the brand name. Vented, drilled and slotted 11" rotors and the bleeds are in the right orientation. Doing some cleanup on the parking brake hardware as I go.

Name:	DSCI0734.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1273743
                              sigpic
                              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Finally all the parts are gathered!!!

Decided to bump the gear from 3.27 to 3.55. I would have never considered tearing into this for such a small increase but while it's out why not?

Never had the chance to see 28 and 31 spline axels side by side before so I thought this was interesting. The stock axels have a shaft of 1.24" the new ones 1.32". The old ones taper down to 1.16" when the new ones maintain their 1.32" thickness at the end. Had studs placed that were 1/8" longer to make up for the rotors being thicker then the old drums. The axel length turned out to be 30 7/8".

Name:	DSCI0736.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1273769Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0737.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1273770Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0738.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1273771
                                sigpic
                                13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Working...
                                X