No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With this project there have been many things I didn't know and found out along the way!!! I don't think I could have done it without the research on and help from 460ford.com!!!

I don't think I know any Wonorski family here. Wykowski yes but not Wonorski.
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I'd be curious to see undercar pictures.

This is very, very cool.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

More Pics!!

That engine looks sweet with the aluminum valve covers and billet brackets!!
        Do you have pics of the exhaust manifolds and motor mounts in your car? I have both Torino and Mustang CJ manifolds and was wondering which ones to use for my project.
        Have you considered using a shaker setup from a Torino? It looks like the dimensions may be close enough for you to fab a hood opening to work. The current scoop looks nice. It may look better in white to match the hood.
        Last edited by Mercracer; 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

The manifolds are the mustang ones. I didn't like the funkey turn in the torino ones. Looked like it would make for poor exhaust flow. I don't know if that is true or not. I think they had to do that to clear the steering on the torino.

The motor mounts are truck motor mounts from trans-dapt I'll attach a pic with mounts in place before install of motor. Just cut them and had them rewelded how I wanted them.

I would LOVE a shaker!!!!! I looked at shaker hoods but wayyyyyy too much $600.00 and up plenty of good prices on ones for FI but mostly just originals for carb. The $100.00 for the elimin. scoop was much easier on the wallet!!!

Just got done tonight re-doing the header panel and the fan brackets. Painted it all and can put it all back in tomorrow. Maybe make it to the A&W friday night cruise in. That will be the first time I will feel ready to show it.

Are you going to do this swap in a box?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-27-11 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1265742Click image for larger version

Name:	6-27-11 005.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1265741Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1265740
          sigpic
          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
          "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
            Are you going to do this swap in a box?
            A Whale is the most likely body...

Comment

That would cut the air better. Stiffer suspension. Much better handeling.

I keep asking myself,"Why am I trying to make a sofa riding on a cloud go realy fast?"
              sigpic
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

answer: nobody would expect it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  answer: nobody would expect it.
                  Precisely !
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

before pics

I just realized I never posted the before pics. I wish I would have taken some before removing the parts that are off in the pics.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

The 302 looks small in there now.
                      sigpic
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

heh... the 302 IS small in there... no looks about it. That's what I like... room to work on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! HOLY SHIT WOW! just pure awesomeness id probly give a nut to have that thing

Comment

update

Just got it washed and waxed up for the first time this year. Fixed up the header panel and painted it. Just have to do the air conditioning but that will be a winter time project in the garage. I just want to take advantage of the rest of the good weather while it lasts.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Sick.
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

WE"RE NOT WORTHY!!!
                                WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!
                                WE"RE NOT WORTHY!!!
                                WE"RE NOT WORTHY!!!

Well Mangs and Mangetts, it looks like Lincolnlarry has thrown down the gauntlet. I guess that means that for the rest of us.......it's time to turn some wrenches.

Oh, and by the way, Lincolnlarry,
                                1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Working...
                                X