No announcement yet.

My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunate the hood scoop had to been used. Beautiful car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I like the scoop. I'd have it painted body color though.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

That is one very nicely done Town Car, that motor almost looks factory. I love the scoop too, I think it fits on there well. This car should attract some attention at the car shows, people are going to be curious what you got under the hood to back up that Cobra Jet emblem haha and you wont disappoint.
        -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
        -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Since I had to use a scoop to fit the air cleaner I decided to take some inspiration from the Torino and Mustang. It looks a little like the shaker scoop that was black with the emblems on the side of it.

Now that it is tuned a bit better traction is the limiting factor. I plan coil over shocks to stiffen it up a bit and a rear sway bar. I am surprised there is less body roll now then with the 302.

I can't floor the pedal from a rolling start or at all till the end of 2nd gear. By that time I am going too fast for the street with that 3:27 traction lock rear. Don't want to put better tires on because the 8.8 might go BOOM!!
          sigpic
          89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
          13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
          "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

9" and slicks
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Got out to a cruise-in for the first time today.

First time I have been able to get to a cruise-in was tonight. Went to the A+W friday night one here.

Needless to say I was the only one with a built panther frame car there but also the only big block Ford. I felt so bad for the Ford street rods that had to go around with that Chevy 350 in them. Made me bleed blue for those poor cars. I did see a nice supercharged 351c in a pre-69 Mustang.

Thought it mght be nice to put a face with the screen name and car. Took mom along since she lives between me and A+W. She can't aim the camera so I had to take another shot to get the car in the pic.:smirk:

Thanks to everyone who viewed and complimented along the way! When I get a little video together I will put it up here.

Larry
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
              "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Thanks for posting some pics of your car outside instead of inside the garage.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Awesome build! Plan on taking it to the track? Considered nitrous?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                  Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                  Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                  NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

hey larry, where did you get your rotating assembly?
                    sigpic

Comment

It's an eagle rotating assembly with forged crank, probe SRS dish pistons, I see summit has a few but with their pistons. I like the bigger dish on their pistons (38cc). My probes only had 22cc so I had to grind and polish the comb. chambers to keep it pump gas friendly.
                      sigpic
                      13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

cool!

i'm starting to wonder how cheaply i can get a 385 series into my P72

12 seconds would be no trouble for that many cubes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Awesome project!! You really need to post a video of it!

I think it would have have been cool to build a cold air pan around the air cleaner with an open element. Think of a larger but shorter version of what they ran on the AC Cobra's. You have the hood scoop make it functional!

Comment

So awesome and gorgeous I had to steal a pic and show my friends (unbelievers)

Comment

x2 on posting up a video mang

Comment

I like that air cleaner very much, but for me a used Dodge Challenger unit seemed lots more cost-effective. Annoying that Spectre doesn't want to sell the lid by itself, since lots of people already have 14x3 elements and a base that works for them.
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X