My 1989 Lincoln 557 cobra jet project in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success!!!!!!!!!!!

The headers fit with a little modification to the a/c plenum. Just need a little space shuttle shielding and will be all set. The top of the passengers header is only about 1" away from where the modified plenum bottom is.

The 875cfm Holley also came in. This was the largest carb I could find with a choke. I want to keep it streetable. It would be a B***h to run without a choke if I didn't let it warm up first even in the summer. The intake has no crossover to warm it quickly.

I can see the dollars being sucked down thoes big barrels even now!!!
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Just a suggestion might want to look into pro systems carb. Fastest and one of the best out there I know several ppl who run them with excellent results. If you don't think that holley is enough perhaps this to salvate overhttp://www.prosystemsracing.com/svseries.html
      Last edited by zoomie; 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM.
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
        Just a suggestion might want to look into pro systems carb. Fastest and one of the best out there I know several ppl who run them with excellent results. If you don't think that holley is enough perhaps this to salvate overhttp://www.prosystemsracing.com/svseries.html
        "I gotta 4 barrel carb... what you got?"
        "I got a single barrel carb that'll blow away that 4 barrel"
        "no way!"
        *pop's hood, takes off air cleaner lid* "yes way"
        *mr 4 barrel's jaw drops*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Think that's hot how about double troubleClick image for larger version

Name:	fd672c2c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1268376 my buddy doug vanstrom runing this in his stang love to this setup one day in a panther.
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

That's one sweet engine!!!!

Might be about a years paycheck for me:smirk:

I'll have to settle for my little by little upgrade system. As it is being single with no kids is the only way I can do what I have done.

On a funny note my co-workers have started to call my ride "Christine". Every time I work on it I go in with another war wound. This time it is just a black and blue fingernail. Last time it was a black and blue arm pushing the new C6 up under it by myself. I just didn't trust the AOD to stand up now that I was able to hammer it. I spend way more time under it then in it!!!
            sigpic
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Should snap some pics of the headers! and the carb when you get it on there.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                That's one sweet engine!!!!

Might be about a years paycheck for me:smirk:

I'll have to settle for my little by little upgrade system. As it is being single with no kids is the only way I can do what I have done.

On a funny note my co-workers have started to call my ride "Christine". Every time I work on it I go in with another war wound. This time it is just a black and blue fingernail. Last time it was a black and blue arm pushing the new C6 up under it by myself. I just didn't trust the AOD to stand up now that I was able to hammer it. I spend way more time under it then in it!!!

Christine isn't supposed to hurt you like that. Christine is all about bringing death to all the "shitters" of the world.

Yeah, I feel the same way with my mom's CV. The only time I spend with that car is to work on it; and the occassional grocery shopping haul.

Packman

Comment

Success!!!!!!!!!!!

The headers fit with a little modification to the a/c plenum.
                  Which application headers did you order???

Comment

The FPA headers are for the later 60s Galaxie with CJ size ports. The early 60s Galaxie header didn't go all the way down under the car like the later ones on the drivers side.
                    sigpic
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Last time it was a black and blue arm pushing the new C6 up under it by myself.
                      Be careful mang...
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The FPA headers are for the later 60s Galaxie with CJ size ports. The early 60s Galaxie header didn't go all the way down under the car like the later ones on the drivers side.
                        Interesting info, that!

Wonder how Galaxie 302/351W headers fit ....
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yes, that could be an interesting solution to the whole "no longtubes off the shelf" thing.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Hmmm...
                            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm.. I wonder if the late 60s FE headers will work...
                              How much $$ were yours?

Comment

Well, my headers were a little over $600. That is with gaskets, ball and socket collectors and all the bolts for securing to the head and the collector bolts. I would imagine the small block headers would be less. The owner's name is Stan he had me on the phone about 1/2hr asking me all about my application. I think he wanted to make sure for himself they had a good chance of fitting!!! Even sent pics of the headers mounted with a ruler showing how far the stick out from the engine at different points. M-F 9-6 pacific time 253-848-9503.

I wanted to use a tri-y header but there arn't any for the 385 series engine and would have been out of my reach to have a set custom made for me. Tri-y is a good choice for our cars because they help maintain or increase the torque output. All the off the shelf ones were only for stock non cobra size ports. If I would have done a small block motor, I would have had to have a radical cam to make good power in the big boat so the tri-y would have helped thottle response and low end torque.

I am not real familliar with the FE engines but noticed that the exhaust ports arn't spaced evenly. They have a larger space between the middle exhaust ports. I'm pretty sure the small block headers would fit in our cars with no problem. My only close spot was at the rear of the driver's side engine cross member. There is a quarter inch clearance. I'm glad it wasn't on the passenger side because when the engine moves the drivers side clearance increases unlike the passenger's side. My engine is sitting about 2" forward at the mounts then the 302 did so that should increase cross member clearance a good bit for the small block. Plus a narrower engine gives more clearance due to the way the cross member gets more narrow twards the middle.
                                sigpic
                                13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

Working...
                                X