Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T5 overhaul aka redneck rebuild, or building a t5 from junk parts video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T5 overhaul aka redneck rebuild, or building a t5 from junk parts video.

Well I finally got everything together, and got a day where twelve people weren't pestering me to drop everything and fix their ____________ for them.

I already pulled the transmission a while back and found that after all the horrifying noises coming from the transmission, the only real damage was the rear bearing , and 5th gear.

For those of you that missed it here's the vid I took on my way back home after the disaster. Skip ahead to 1:00 and have a listen to 5th. All the rattling going on in the rest of the video is the transmission.

Anyway, for those of you thinking about a t5 swap, or maybe you just want to learn a bit more about them, here is a really basic crash course intro to working on them. I was concerned that it would be a lot more trouble. It really wasn't that bad to work on. Especially considering that it was my first attempt at transmission repairs.

Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

And my favorite vid...

I cleaned up just enough to save the seat covers and the steering wheel, and went for a ride. The 4.10's in the diff Scott built for me make it a joy on the back roads.
    I've had to haul a lot of stuff lately, and my employer no longer lets us use company vehicles for anything unrelated to work. I've had to borrow a clapped out 87 mazda pickup. It's ok, but it must have all of 20hp. Now imagine using that to nearly an extra ton or two of scrap metal... 0 to 45 in 30 seconds... on a slight downgrade.

Now to get some free time and try out my new trailer hitch. Between that and my wife's wrong wheel drive taurus... Let's just say I'm really really REALLy glad to have Herk back on the road.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Comment

I can't wait to get mine in. Aren't manual trannies a breeze to work on.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Cool video. Never seen the inside of a manual transmission.

Is the T5 a Ford designed unit?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

borg warner

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

yar, T5 = Borg.

Cool beans. Nothing wrong with making one good something out of two broken somethings.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

*sighs* If only an AOD was that simple to work on....
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I have a rebuild kit for a T5 for sale. its a FMS kit some thing 7000 part no. Its boxed ready to ship. Some guy was susposed to purchase it but haven heard from him for a few wrrks.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Id love to do a T5 swap but I'm hesitant. Did you find that the fuel consumption got a bit better?

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      *sighs* If only an AOD was that simple to work on....
                      AOD's are cake... I can put one to together with my eyes closed.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by V8GrandMarquis View Post
                        Id love to do a T5 swap but I'm hesitant. Did you find that the fuel consumption got a bit better?
                        Yes, but then again, I bought the car with OD already gone, 3rd mostly gone. Then proceeded to drive it like that for two years.

Keep in mind I flog this thing, and the engine appears to have had next to zero maintenance before I got it. I get 17 on the highway with 4:11 gears, no emissions, and several sensors unplugged/bypassed, etc.

Axle codes
                        Open/Lock/Ratio #
                        -----------------------
                        G / H / 2.26
                        B / C / 2.47
                        8 / M / 2.73
                        7 / - / 3.07
                        Y / Z / 3.08
                        4 / D / 3.42
                        F / R / 3.45
                        5 / E / 3.27
                        6 / W / 3.73
                        2 / K / 3.55
                        A / - / 3.63
                        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by V8GrandMarquis View Post
                          Do it! It's actually incredibly easy. If you can R&R a tranny, you can do a T5 swap.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The actual transmission swap is a walk in the park. However, getting the clutch pedal in and setup right is a bit less straight forward.

You need an aero body NON-ABS brake booster, and a set of pedals out of a mustang to cannibalize. On a 79-89, you'll also have to clearance things a bit to make room for the clutch quadrant.

Axle codes
                            Open/Lock/Ratio #
                            -----------------------
                            G / H / 2.26
                            B / C / 2.47
                            8 / M / 2.73
                            7 / - / 3.07
                            Y / Z / 3.08
                            4 / D / 3.42
                            F / R / 3.45
                            5 / E / 3.27