No announcement yet.

1982 Mercury Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about the plug on said panther harness? will i be needing to repin it to use with MS2 or A9P? im assuming yes.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

A shame you arent close to CT. You could just buy all of Logans stuff, including a tuned computer that was tuned for a turbo that the setup goes with, all the fuel injected stuff. His block is just toast. If you are going roller cam don't forger you need the roller lifter "spider" and you have to drill and tap the block to support it.

Just looked at the picture of Alesha...man that's a good looking car!
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
        A shame you arent close to CT. You could just buy all of Logans stuff, including a tuned computer that was tuned for a turbo that the setup goes with, all the fuel injected stuff. His block is just toast. If you are going roller cam don't forger you need the roller lifter "spider" and you have to drill and tap the block to support it.

Just looked at the picture of Alesha...man that's a good looking car!
        hahah thanks, shes quite rough right now... but pretty solid i suppose. there are many plans in the future for this sled, including body and paint eventually. but im literally doing 95% of all the work myself. metalwork, fabrication, interior, motor... and all my parts are either refurbs or junkyard treasures.

this gentleman you speak of.. would shipping be a possibility? still debating roller. idk if i want to fork over the money for a new cam, lifters, pushrods and rockers.. for the time being i may just replace/refresh the top end. how radical do i need to get with 71 heads if i run boost? obviously airflow is a factor
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Megasquirt my itself would be a nice simple option.

And while expensive, the best avenue for roller cam in that block is to use quality link-bar lifters.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

'71 heads will take a lot of port work to flow worth a damn but they're cast iron so they'll handle boost just fine. Do your homework on chamber size and make sure your compression isn't going to end up real high. Depending on the amount and kind of boost you intend to run, high-ish compression can be a good or bad thing. To run a roller cam in the early block you'll either have to do like Brown Muscle said and D&T for the lifter valley spider, or buy link-bar roller lifters, which is more expensive but the better way.

Comment

heads are garunteed to stay. im already looking at pulling them and gutting them to have hardened valve seats done. so porting was already on the table. and im not opposed to d&t for the rockers. if dads old Ford shop bible is to be believed, 11.7:1 is sounding familiar. i know this entirely too high for boost, or so ive been told. btw my boost will be in the form of s/c and looking for like 10lbs-ish. give or take.

alot of my build is going to installed and tweaked over time but i want to have a solid base motor that i wont have to touch if/when i want to turn things up a bit. this needs to be a streetable reliable summer cruiser i can take 20miles to work on the highway.

Comment

sounds like megasquirt on its own is gonna be the way i want to go to just get the engine running and such.

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                  how about the plug on said panther harness? will i be needing to repin it to use with MS2 or A9P? im assuming yes.
                  yeah but for an A9P its like 3 wires. Not a big deal. MS may have it's own universal harness that is a better option. I know nothing about it. I just know that of the common Ford wiring harnesses, the easiest physical fitment in a Panther comes from a Panther.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is a megasquirt they call the pimp, but it's really PNP, which nerds know is Plug n Play. It plugs right in to a factory harness and allows you full tuneability with factory shit, as well as adding on things like additional O2 sensors and such. If it comes to that, my brother may be selling the one out of his mustang so i'll hit him up about it. It will work with or without MAF depending on your application. His car is an '89 cali car so it had a MAF, but he did away with it. The unit will do auto-tune but it works better if you kinda know what you're doing and add some input. Food for thought anyway.

Comment

plug and play megasquirt would be glorious! and im not afraid of wiring in anyway, i will be going maf so that will be a good combo. no emissions here so egr and o2 stuff is the least of my worries, however i will be adding a wideband to monitor fuel for the boost.

i have an entire efi engine from the 88 but i really dont want to take parts if i dont have to. the way it sits now, i could drop it in anything and it would run. and id kinda like it to stay that way.

pm me if find out what he wants for it.

Comment

- 91 and down 351 truck distributor
                        ... im not afraid of wiring in anyway...
                        Why not a '92+ 351 truck distributor? It's just a little wiring to make the remote mount setup work. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...tor-Conversion.
                        I believe the 351 in the trucks also went to remote mount TFI in '92 like the 302.

You will need to make sure the gear on the dizzy is the correct material for your camshaft though.
                        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...stributer-Gear (That thread was the first I found on the subject, it's pretty amusing.)
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

had a thought... could one use the distributorless system from a 5.0 Explorer?

or should i say the pickup that goes in the distributor hole. just thinking out loud

Comment

86VickyLX has done it: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post788505

I think he gave some more specifics in later posts in that thread. It's a bit more involved than just the sensor in place of the dizzy.

Using this on a 351 I don't think will work since I think the hole for the dizzy is slightly different size between 351 and 302 (I could be wrong, but 351 dizzy would not drop into a 302 when I tried it the JY, and rockauto lists different part numbers for the dizzy on same year 351 and 302). Unless there was an EDIS setup for some 351 application like the 302 had in the Explorer.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

kinda figured. not sure what the benefit would be anyway. probs just go with standard fomoco 351w dizzy. back in the day dad ran stockers on his big blocks and they were good up to like 7k. ill be running a beefier coil and wires though.

Comment

had a thought... could one use the distributorless system from a 5.0 Explorer?

or should i say the pickup that goes in the distributor hole. just thinking out loud
                                For the love of god please don't. He even wishes he didn't do it. Only advantage is going OBD-II, if you're going that route just go all in.... and good luck.
                                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X