No announcement yet.

1982 Mercury Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read through this thread. Awesome Merc! I love the wheels, good choice, and the lights. Not many people do the underglow, but I give you props, I think it looks sweet. I'm surprised at what good shape it's in for an 82. A shame what they did to the bumper, but good use of fog lights.

I'm glad the chevy ended up for the worse. These cars are tough with their full frame construction, I'd much rather be in a panther than a newer car for a low speed crash! Please keep us updated on your progress!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Nice Merc mang! Looking forward to seeing it at Scottfest! Where did you get the lenses for the H4 swap? What brand? And how much were they?

Comment

thanks brownmuscle.. i appreciate the notice on the underglow. i have my own business installing it.. i love the way it adds to the car its so unusual

86vicky, these are just basic h4 conversions.. be wary of low priced ones as the halos i have in my LTD faded inside if you use like 85w bulbs. i use HIDs which are 35 and 55w but i stick to the 35s myself. you can get several kinds of h4 conversions. i recently did an install on my buddy 4eyed volvo and he used square halos. those were the same size as our 4eyed panthers. i picked mine up off ebay. for around 80 i think, i had to buy 2 cause it only came in pairs.

with the conversions it doesnt matter so much with the brand as long as check the listing to see if theyre glass. theyres some really cool ones out there. if i could do it again id use some smoked angel eye ones i recently found.

bottom line. check ebay for "4x6 H4 conversion" id reccommend the ones that are around 90 for 4 or like 40-50 for 2.

i am gonna try to make scottfest for the first time. id really like to see what other people out there are doing to their panthers keeping them alive
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Just read through this thread. Awesome Merc! I love the wheels, good choice, and the lights. Not many people do the underglow, but I give you props, I think it looks sweet. I'm surprised at what good shape it's in for an 82. A shame what they did to the bumper, but good use of fog lights
          i love my purple headlights witht the smoked corners.. i get soooo many looks when im cruising. the car is pretty damn solid.. the frame has the typical surface rust. and i have one tiny hole in the pass. quarter.. but for some reason theres dents right above the pillar on both sides of the car.. no idea how that happened.. i know it spent majority of its life in a garage with the 1st owner. it needs ALOT of work., but its a clean smooth running daily. i was glad to see that after removing the plugs for the first time since ive owned it that they are all perfectly clean.. need gapped tho. but she runs good. gonna upload some new pics here in a few
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I can see why your Merc would get looks. Though I find that people do notice these cars when there is even a little work done to them. I haven't seen undercarriage lights since like the '90s. Very nice touch. That girl really f'd her car up. Hopefully you find a decent rear bumper and panel.

Packman

Comment

thanks packman. this Merc is one of a kind. its a lightshow driving at night haha! i got a few things on the list still. the whole back panel. needs a headliner bad. body is in need of paint badly in a few places, and motor needs replaced eventually..

OH.. and i dont think i ever mentioned it. im getting the same style spoiler that was used on the Cougar Eliminator.. i think thats gonna look sweet on the car

Comment

heres what i took off last night.. the manifolds came off beautifully. but to my suprise there were no gaskets on at all. head look clean, no excess carbon build up.

the last few pics are the rough layout of what i had on the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0311131729.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1271828Click image for larger version

Name:	0311131856.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1271829Click image for larger version

Name:	0311131842.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1271830Click image for larger version

Name:	0311131842a.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1271831

Comment

Very nice, ford just used flat machined surfaces to seal the manifold to the head, so no gaskets were needed.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Yep, no gaskets from the factory.

And I think you had the same bizarre help that I did with the bolts: leaky valve covers mean it's been soaking in penetrating oil for most of it's life.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

hahaha thats so true too.. they dont really leak though. but the engine has been out before for some sort of maintenance, not by me.

Comment

What rear gears does it have? Being made for mileage i'd guess no higher than 2.73's, so you could probably benefit greatly from a junkyard k-code axle.
                        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

no idea on the gears.. if its any help.. i tach about 1500-1600 going 65.

how would i benefit from the axle? i dont know much about engine/drivetrain

Comment

Depend where you drive(city, hiway, both?) the rear gear ratio can improve drivability, acceleration and fuel econ. Not sure if you have an overdrive trans but, 2.73 is a hiway econ gear. The 3.55/3.73 is a great city gear and 3.27 is a great all round driving gear. Best example, is a 10-12 speed bicycle.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

that's around what RPM i'm turning going 65 with an AOD and 2.73 rear. To put it a bit more simply. If you were to put 3.55 gears in, you would accelerate faster.
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

in all honesty.. im not sure i would want to.. i never have been a kid that likes speed. i like 0-60 and all that.. but considering shes my daily.. id like to stay as close to 20 as i can hahah.. especially since im unemployed at the moment

Comment

Working...
                                X