Bison (1990 Grand Marquis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmm foood
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Fucking great, I'm getting rained on and I can't get the inner wheel bearing off. Nothing can ever be simple for me... You should be able to pull the bearing and the seal right out right? Well it sure as hell doesn't want to come out and every time I try to pry the seal it bends, so... I guess I'll just keep trying and getting rained on

Comment

Great, I checked this morning and there was a small chance for rain, now they're saying it'll be raining all day and probably all weekend... everything sucks. now I've got to put it all back together just to take it all apart again. FML!!!!

Comment

I forgot what I used to remove the seal, but don't worry about destroying it, since you're replacing it anyways. Needlenose pliers will probably work. When you put the new seal in I just tapped it down lightly with a hammer.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Tap it out from the other side.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yeah, lol, I was worrying about damaging it because I WASN'T planning on replacing it due to lack of understanding and lack of ... well, planning. I definitely will be now though and I'll be sure to have everything I need but for the time being I just put it all back together because there's a possibility of flash flooding they say... yet it stopped raining right when I got everything put away. I hate the weathermen as much as I hate not having a garage.

Back to the parts store for bearings, seals, and also new cotter pins then I'll be ready to go as soon as it stops raining.

And when I put the new pads and rotor on then pumped the brakes it's like the pads are slightly rubbing along the rotor now when I spin the wheel... is this normal?

Comment

Weather and my personal life have really been getting in the way of my shadetree mehanic work lately. But I just finished putting new boots and drums on my rear brakes. The old ones really didn't seem that worn down, neither did the front rotors and pads, but they were squeeking and I notice an increase in stopping power so, I don't know. I think I'll hold on to all the old shit and maybe post a picture to see what you guys think, they might be worth holding on to in case I need them later on down the road, I dunno. Either way its all new now but I do still have to take off the front right rotor again to replace the wheel bearings and the seal with new ones so they match up on both sides and I also need to bleed the lines and get all new fluid in still. I think I'll pay someone to do that because time is running out and I have a road trip coming up soon.

Question: Is it bad that my rear passenger side drum brake piston was leaking a little bit of brake fluid after the job (but not before)?

And as for my previous question about the pads rubbing against the rotors, my drivers side was doing this as well before the brake job so either it's normal or it's just my filthy brake fluid acting funny.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                  Question: Is it bad that my rear passenger side drum brake piston was leaking a little bit of brake fluid after the job (but not before)?
                  Did you replace the wheel cylinders? If not it may just coincidentally be going bad after all the work. I had one leak before and the fluid would drip on the inside of the brake drum then that brake would really grip and the tire would squeal when braking as if I was stomping on the brakes.
                  If it was replaced then it sounds like it may be bad right out of the box, assuming it's not leaking at the fitting where the brake line connects to it.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Leaking brake fluid is always bad.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I didn't replace the wheel cylinders and it is not leaking from the line, it's from the two pistons, specifically the one pointed towards the front. That sucks. Oh well. Hopefully they don't cost too much and I can manage to throw em in before august. Or better yet maybe the problem will fix itself... probably not though. Nothings ever simple.

I'm hoping to have new tires, exhaust installed, and brakes finished and flushed by august 8th. There is a big family gathering out of state and I MUST get there no matter what. I've made it every year for the last 5 years and it's why I bought this car last year... to make this trip.

Hey that reminds me, I've owned this car for about a year now. Sweet. Many more years to come.

Comment

I would SERIOUSLY suggest replacing BOTH sides wheel cylinders!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

should be about 10 bucks a piece for new wheel cylinders (10 inch drum)

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                            I would SERIOUSLY suggest replacing BOTH sides wheel cylinders!!
                            Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
                            should be about 10 bucks a piece for new wheel cylinders (10 inch drum)
                            ^All good advice there.

Usually when I remove the wheel cylinders the brake lines are so rusted that they need replacing or the end breaks off thanks to rust.
                            If you run into this problem then you'll need to replace the line.
                            The line is probably less than 3 feet on each side and goes from each wheel cylinder to a junction mounted on top of the differential housing.

If you need to replace the lines then you'll want to get a hold of a flaring tool. Also the line ends that screw into the junction on the diff housing on mine the driver side line end fitting was the same as the wheel cylinders but on the passenger side the fitting was a different size (the threaded portion was larger diameter iirc).

I don't remember the size of the line end fittings but I believe the brake line itself is 1/4 inch brake line. If it needs replacing cut a small section out and take it and the end fittings along to the parts store to be sure.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm praying to god that doesn't happen but knowing me it probably will because nothing's ever simple.

I'm heading to the parts store now, thank you all for your help and wish me luck...

Comment

Well I just replaced 7 of the 8 spark plugs yesterday and will probably be trying to get the 8th and install my wires, rotor cap, and all that other stuff that came with the tune up kit tonight. I was having a hell of a time getting the third one back from the front on the passenger side, hopefully I can get it tonight.

I just cleaned up my trunk a bit and threw my "new" lincoln rims in it and I'll be stopping at the discount tire place to see what kind of white walls they can put on it today. I'm happy about that.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	myrimsYAY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1272800

The clock is ticking and it won't be long before my trip to Illinois so I really have to get the ball rolling
                                This weekend I'll be replacing the wheel cylinders on my drum brakes hopefully with no problems, and while it's jacked up I'll also change the rear differential fluid and the transmission fluid.

I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'll do the shocks and coil springs myself... specifically the springs are what worry me...

Comment

Working...
                                X