• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should order an engine stand, lol.

-ryan s.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

What model year panther did the engine come of? Is that a single roller timing chain?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        What model year panther did the engine come of? Is that a single roller timing chain?
        it was a double roller. Came from a 88 Ltd Crown Victoria.
        1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
          You should order an engine stand, lol.

-ryan s.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
          Buying one after I send the block to the machine shop.
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

Drop the block off, let the machine shop tell you what size pistons to order. You generally want the least overbore possible, though finding .010 or .020 pistons is not easy most of the time. Mine is .020 over, but the guy who did that engine told us that he wasn't able to get any more .020 piston sets because they had been discontinued. The logic with that being I can have it done another .020 over if needed, and run .040 pistons without much trouble. Beyond that gets really dicey with a stock block.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh look at this thread that I've missed.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the expense of the machine shop, that's why my engine is standard bore and I plan to keep it that way. I'm likely going to get a set of forged pistons or possibly just a stroker kit for when I buy another motor to replace mine. I run a TrickFlow stage 1 cam, Alex's parts 120lb springs (You won't be disappointed, I would bounce my car off the rev limiter every single day and never had any issues.), 1.72 RR, GT40 heads (I have a personal vendetta against P heads.), Marine lower intake, Lightning tubular upper and a Mass Air system with 21lb injectors. I'm likely going to get some 60lbers for when I go boosted. Be careful with those rods, they're just asking to jump out of the block when running too much boost. I've done copious amounts of research on boosting SBFs. I was actually thinking of downgrading to a 302 but fuck that, big steam.

Though, out of all of my combo. My heads are the biggest bottle neck.

Oh I also have a 5 speed manual, so I don't have to worry about a sloppy old AOD. You should defiantly get a SilverFox VB as well.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

No longer going the turbo route. I decided to build the engine N/A. Decided to convert the engine to a 306. Going with a 0.030 overbore. Also ditching the AOD with a 4r70w with manual valve body.
                Last edited by pivichot; 03-22-2016, 02:02 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Just received the piston and piston ring kit. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160318_221542.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1279090Click image for larger version

Name:	20160318_221558.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1279091

Bought new intake and exhaust valves for the heads. Also got new springs from Alex's Parts. These were the ones I got
                  Alex's Parts Specializes in: Valve Spring Kits for GT40, GT40P, LT1, Vortec, LS1 Valve Spring Kits, Beehive Springs, Valve locks and Viton Valve Seals.

For the camshaft I bought a trickflow camshaft

Specs for the cams are as follow:
                  Hydraulic Roller, Advertised Duration 275/279, Lift .499/.510, Lobe Sep. 112, Small Ford

Still good for efi.
                  sigpic

Comment

Why not run a 94 mustang auto ecu and run the electric 4r70?

Comment

I'm lazy. I like my automatics automatic. Manuals need to involve a clutch. That in-between stuff is just confusing and odd.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Why not run a 94 mustang auto ecu and run the electric 4r70?
                        Might temporarily do that. I have a 95 mustang auto ecu.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          I'm lazy. I like my automatics automatic. Manuals need to involve a clutch. That in-between stuff is just confusing and odd.
                          I wanted a manual, but a manual transmission that can take the weight of the car and more power was a minimum of 2000 new. I could have gone with a t5 transmission but too weak for the car. Went with a 4r70w because it is strong and the manual valve body will allow me get the manual drive feel without the clutch pedal.
                          sigpic

Comment

The clutch is the whole appeal of the manual If you're not clutching and shifting with a real pattern thats just pretending.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The clutch is the whole appeal of the manual If you're not clutching and shifting with a real pattern thats just pretending.
                              I agree with you on that part. For that reason I am planning on buying a ford ranger that is manual. To practice and if it breaks, it wasn't soo much money. For this car I bought a manual pedal assembly. Just after calculating how much it was going to cost I went with the cheaper route.
                              sigpic

Comment

Not much progress. Currently working on several class projects. Still have not sent the engine to the machine shop. Will start now on the second week of May. Just got the camshaft. Summit had it back ordered and the shipping day was changing everyday. Would get it in the middle of May. Canceled the order and bought it from late model restorations. Actually got it 13 dollars cheaper

Now, just need to wait until I send the engine to buy what else I am missing.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X