No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have said complications are in your future, but nice to see so far you ran into none.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I am glad they haven't changed the platform in 32 years. Makes shit like this possible.

Anyway, would someone know best place to buy body mounts. I want to replace all 14 with new ones. Not sure if I want to go with poly or rubber. Don't really want a jittery ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
        I am glad they haven't changed the platform in 32 years. Makes shit like this possible.

Anyway, would someone know best place to buy body mounts. I want to replace all 14 with new ones. Not sure if I want to go with poly or rubber. Don't really want a jittery ride.

We all run ES poly mounts with special spacers. They work great, though I will admit they harsh up the ride. I actually want to take mine back out and cut 1/2" off them to lower the body on the frame.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

They are a bit taller than stock and ride stiffer but worked out great. The spacers are a must to center the bushings in the holes.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What are the part numbers / dimensions on them?

Comment

Here is the part number I used 9.4102R the r at the end just means red.

Not sure on the dimensions. Maybe the ES website has them.

EDIT: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.4102

Dimensions in above link
              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-29-2014, 07:21 PM.
              ~David~

Comment

Is that just the upper mount or lower insulator too?

Comment

Ok so looking at that link a bit more it looks like it includes everything. Are the stock bolts long enough? It appears there are 2 bushings included in the kit. What are the spacers that you are talking about? Are they purchased separately?

Comment

Nice progress!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                      Ok so looking at that link a bit more it looks like it includes everything. Are the stock bolts long enough? It appears there are 2 bushings included in the kit. What are the spacers that you are talking about? Are they purchased separately?
                      Two complete bushings per kit. I believe I had purchased longer bolts from sears hardware for this job. If you look at the bushing side by side comparison pic Zach posted you will see the small spacer slipped around the shaft of the bushing.

The only run of them that I have seen were all machined out by Lincolnmania's doing. He had a local cut them.

There is some info in this sticky

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post215706
                      ~David~

Comment

Ok thanks.

This morning I looked at the header panel fitment. Just as I suspected it will have to be modified. Cutting and welding required. Although if someone was in a hurry, could be done without welding. Just cut the excess material off then drill a new body mount hole and call it a day.

Here are some pics. Box on the bottom, Whale on top. As you can see Whale header panel still has box header mount holes in place. Ford just added new holes a couple of inches off on a Whale.

Box header is wider and taller.

The amount of fabrication required to get this swap completed is very minor.

Comment

After some cutting here I am. Now I gotta cut the 07' header up and get the 2 mated together. Very simple up to this point.

Comment

Today I ordered the body mounts as linked above. I am also thinking of coating the whole frame with POR-15 and then top coating it with paint. There is some rust on it that I will media blast and get as much off as possible. Has anyone used POR-15 on their underside before? Any idea how much I would need to cover the entire frame? I will likely want to do 2 coats.

Comment

I've POR 15's a lot of things. Honestly, I'd probably go with the Eastwood Chassis stuff.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I currently am in the SLOW process of doing the eastwood treatments to the underbody of my car, frame included.

I have 4 rust encapsulator quarts, 3 extreme chassis black quarts and a gallon of rust converter all from eastwood. Not to mention 3 cans of internal frame coating, a hand full of aerosol rust encapsulators, converters, rubberized undercoating and heavy duty anti-rust spray. I am very satisfied with everything so far though I have literally just began. All I have completed was the interior quarterpanels and underneath them. Trunk pan is next.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X