No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a productive morning. coated front section of the frame with 2 coats of Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint. Will let that dry till tomorrow then lift the body off the frame again, grind away all the rust and do the rest of it. After the whole frame is complete I will apply a couple of coats of semi gloss Trem Clad for good measure. Plus it won't be as shiny.

I guess I should go clean up the floor. This stuff doesn't come off concrete once it's dry. lol

Last edited by Mr Bean; 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Awesome work so far dude! Was the paint a spray on or brush on?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

You can do either or with paint. I brushed it on because I wanted a heavier coat. Plus I didn't have a disposable spray gun. Cleaning that stuff off anything is hopeless so might as well toss the gun after you are done.

Comment

The floor in my barn looks like a POR 15 bomb exploded/.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Looks excellent!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
              The floor in my barn looks like a POR 15 bomb exploded/.
              at least the floor won't rust... oh wait.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not much of an update today but I jacked up the body off the frame and went nuts with a grinder to the rest of the frame. It is now clean up to the rear axle. I am not sure how I will do the rear section. I think best bet is to pull the rear end so I can get into all the crevices.

Comment

I'd say that is a good idea. Pull the arms and you have all the room in the world then to work with.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Finished grinding the frame today and put 2 coats of Miracle Paint. Decided not to do the area around the axle for now. When I swap the gears I will pull the axle and paint that area at the same time. Gonna let it dry for 24 hours then apply a top coat of regular semi gloss black enamel.

Comment

ooo shiny! /Panty Raider

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

fantastic.
                        ~David~

Comment

All those Canadian jack stands hard at work.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                            All those Canadian jack stands hard at work.
                            The best kind.

I didn't do much today. Went to a junkyard in the morning and picked up a few missing bits and pieces that I needed. Spent the rest of the afternoon gutting the remains of the parts car. It's getting scrapped later today or maybe tomorrow or next week.

Comment

Parts car is gone so now I have some room to work. As it turns out there is no way to remove or install the fuel lines with body attached to the frame. Not a very smart design on Ford's part but whatever.

Comment

Fuel lines are in. Body is lowered back onto the frame. I also discovered that Ford used 3 different length body to frame bolts. The whale bolts are about an inch longer than box and Aero bolts are about half inch longer. Whale bolts have longer heads as well and appear to be of better quality in general. For anyone installing ENS bushings I suggest getting some Whale bolts.

Comment

Working...
                                X