Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Parts car is gone so now I have some room to work. As it turns out there is no way to remove or install the fuel lines with body attached to the frame. Not a very smart design on Ford's part but whatever.
    Planned obsolescence strikes again. Ford never intended for the service life of the car to exceed the life of the fuel line, and if it did, $$$ for dealerships. On the assembly line, the fuel and brake lines were laid onto the frame then the body was set on top.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Yay, progress. I know it doesn't look like I've done much but it's been mostly small things up to this point. Body is down on the frame and bolted into place(except for the one bolt in the trunk. I'll take care of that at the end cause there is some welding that needs to be done. Fuel lines are in. Brake lines are in. Rear bumper is bolted into place. It will likely be coming off again in the future when I paint the car but it's in for now.

I've been doing a lot of cleaning and painting of all the bolts and brackets before reinstalling them on the car. Tomorrow I need to apply some body filler to the firewall then sand and paint. After that the drivetrain is ready to go in. I am planning on replacing the struts so I haven't messed around with front suspension yet other than cleaning the grime off. When I do the struts I will clean and paint everything.

Comment

Can't believe I missed this thread, what an awesome build! Amazing how little the frame changed over the years. Keep up the good work!
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

So I am thinking ahead here. Those who used ENS body mounts, did you use same ones for the very front 2 at the header panel? Factory ones seem to sit higher than the rest.

Comment

I did. My car also had an adjustable spacer there as well. I used that too.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So I am thinking ahead here. Those who used ENS body mounts, did you use same ones for the very front 2 at the header panel? Factory ones seem to sit higher than the rest.

Yes, when you put them in, jack up the frame in the front, it flexes that much.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Interesting...

So I started ripping Bignslow apart. Discovered and unpleasant surprise. I have coolant in the oil. It's not milky but I am seeing streaks. Could be cause it sat all winter and moisture accumulated in the engine, could be a blown gasket. I am not taking any chances and changing the head gaskets. There goes another $500 pointlessly spent at Summit.

Got me a bunch of gaskets and seals and new KYBs all around.

Comment

Hard to believe that the car in your sig pic, is the doner car. One good looking aero.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                    Hard to believe that the car in your sig pic, is the doner car. One good looking aero.
                    Good looking until you bend over and look underneath. Although not too bad for an 18 year old Ontario car the bottom has plenty of rust. Rockers are iffy, one has a hole. Oh and the frame is rotted in the one all too well known place. It's been patched but just bugs me knowing that it's a rust bucket. lol Oh yea the fenders were replaced because they rotted out. Every panel on that car has been repainted except for the doors and rear bumper.

Its spirit(and parts) will live on in a box.
                    Last edited by Mr Bean; 05-04-2014, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Its spirit(and parts) will live on in a box.
                      I approve of this.

Sent from Blaster coming at ya from Autobot City.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, can't argue with box love lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I love that MGM, it was my laptop wallpaper for quite a while

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                          1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Something is definitely blown on the motor. I popped the oil filler cap off to find a milky residue. I am guessing the head gasket is gone.

Comment

Damn, nothings ever simple.

Comment

I am starting to wonder if perhaps it's from sitting all winter and moisture just accumulated in the engine because the coolant looked nice and clean.

Comment

Working...
                                X