Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    I think I posted about the mirrors somewhere earlier in this thread. I ripped apart Muth mirrors that I had on my 96' and used the LED modules on box mirrors.
    oh yeah, that's right... forgot about that. I've been thinking of putting a semi side marker on my car somewhere just to help with that. Also had a bright idea of using the side moldings on my 88 and running some LED strip lighting along them and tying that into the blinkers up front for some very long whole side of car blinker lights.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dude. I hope after this is all done you get into a magazine for all of this cool work.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That would be pretty neat but I am not even thinking about that right now.

I would like to know what bean counter at Ford thought it was a good idea to use the dullest shade of silver paint on the tail light reflectors? No wonder stock tails are dimmer than nun's hoohoo. Was there a year between 1979 to 1987 when reflector was actually chrome?

Oh well, ghetto mods to the rescue. It's not mirror finish but way more reflective than stock shit.

Also, something else weird that I noticed. The 2 tail lights aren't exactly the same. They look identical on the outside but when I pulled them off the rubber seals against the body are different. Driver side has 2 seals. Outside and center bulbs have one seal around them and the inner most bulb has a separate seal. Like so (image stolen from ebay),

On the passenger side tail light there is a single seal around all 3 bulbs. What's the deal with that? Was one of the tail lights swapped in the past or did Ford install whatever tail lights they had in the parts bin at the time?
        Last edited by Mr Bean; 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

You know, the mod box is cool and all. But the sequential tail lights are what really makes it unique, y'know.

I like that you're keeping the bottom trim, trim is classy.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Interesting, mine was just the opposite, single seal on drivers side, 2 on passenger side. I had never noticed until you mentioned it and I went back through the pics I took at the time. You can see the outline of each seal in the pic.
            Attached Files

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

What did you use to ghetto shine the inside of the tail light reflectors?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                What did you use to ghetto shine the inside of the tail light reflectors?
                Home Depot sells rolls of chrome insulation tape. It sticks very well. I cut out small squares to minimize wrinkles. I read that 3M makes a similar product as well.

Comment

Ghetto modded tail lights comparison.

Stock on the driver side, modded on the passenger side.

Comment

I've been wanting sequentials on mine for several years now. Care to enlighten us with more details on that? Wiring, etc? Or did you do that already?
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I used universal kit from here,
                      WebElectric Products is the place to find the latest in car parts and electronic devices to help you personalize your automobile.

Wiring is pretty simple. They provide you with a diagram. Tail lights use stock wiring. Turn signals have individual feed wire coming from the module going to each bulb.

Comment

Which exact kit did you use? The Mustang one or something else??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Then just mod the inner most socket to use an 1157 one. Simple enough.

The tail light reflector was dull like that on my '84. Though it was stupid back then. Even more so now.

I traded those tail lights for a nice stainless steel battle axe. I miss that car.
                          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                            Which exact kit did you use? The Mustang one or something else??
                            STS Universal Sequential Turn Signal System
                            STS-1 Sequential Turn Signals, $69 ..........
                            - For cars with 3 lamps on each side

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                              STS Universal Sequential Turn Signal System
                              STS-1 Sequential Turn Signals, $69 ..........
                              - For cars with 3 lamps on each side
                              Many thanks!! Have to check it out....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Did you change the flasher or keep the stock one in??

Comment

Working...
                                X