Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
    I'm willing to bet that shocks people when you leave the stoplight!
    Especially if you're driving around with your head out the window 'Ace Ventura style' with the hood up!
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Are you coming to Scottfest?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Are you coming to Scottfest?
        Possibly...

Comment

Way cool.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looking good !

Comment

Much nicer.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

More wet sanding and polishing.

Comment

Looking a lot better like a nice factory finish. Are you using wool to cut? I just went with some foam pads as the wool scared me. A cutting pad and a polishing pad. I used 3ms super heavy duty rubbing compound on clear I wetsanded out with 3000 grit. What an IDIOT. I got lucky for not burning through more then I did. lol That compound I used says can get 1000 grit scratches out... I the finished it off with meguiars ultimate compound. I could have used that to start withh after the 3000 rub down.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I wet sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 then went over it with a wool pad and 3m compound followed by cut pad and Meguiar's fine cut cleaner followed by cut pad and Meguiar's diamond cut 2.0. I will finish off the whole car with a polish of some kind, not sure which yet.

Comment

I did those same grits on my fenders. Are you using a block? You can get that finish even flatter as there is still some peel in it. I see you are going in a circular motion with your wetsanding. I did nice straight lines and x pattern and mine came out flat as hell. This can only be done if you are confident in the amount of clear you put on. I don;t want you to burn through.

Here is what I am talking about.

Yours after wetsanding:

Mine after wetsanding:

This car is awesome. I want you to have a finish reflecting that. Doing great so far!
                      ~David~

Comment

I think that pic that I took was after 1000 grit. I usually start off circular and as I go down the grit I move all over in different directions. I thought about blocking it but wasn't sure if it was safe on clear coat. Block seems to cut through it a lot faster. I had to use a block on a couple of runs that I had. I probably could block it as I laid clear on pretty heavy.

Comment

ahh gotchya. You'd want to use a soft block. But it is safe to do. I looked it up on youtube before I did my fenders myself. The shop that painted my car years back used a soft block to block out the car as well. They also used a paint stick with some 800 to first knock down some of the clear coat runs. I found that was a neato trick.

I let the papers do the work on my car and didn't put a lot of pressure. I'd then squeegee off the water/clear coat scum looking for peel. Once most of the peel was knocked down with the 1000 I went to the 1500 to get some more. Knocked off some of the remaining peel and then went to 2000. Made sure all the peel was gone with the 2000 before I went to the 3000 as that doesn't cut much at all, really prepolishing the paint.
                          ~David~

Comment

I finished wet sanding most of the car. The only part left to do is the roof and I am gonna hold off on it for a bit.

Here is a photo dump from today.

Comment

so hot.
                              ~David~

Comment

10/10 would do

Comment

Working...
                                X