Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
    You're not the first person to do that, as it happens (pics attached)...
    This doesn't look bad. The rear trim would need to be custom though. It doesn't look right. But the front is pretty much dead on. Would need Crown vic bumper filler panel trim.

Comment

Well what do you know. It actually doesn't look too horrible with those filler pieces in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
        Well what do you know. It actually doesn't look too horrible with those filler pieces in place.
        Less stuff to paint haha

Comment

wow. I didn't realise the older tails were that much wider.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Personally I'd have kept the old style panels and lights, and just sectioned the bumpers so they hug the body closer. Mostly cause I hate body work, and it's also something most folks don't think of actually doing so makes the car even more unique than it already is.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Have to re-chrome the bumpers if you do that, and that isn't cheap.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And ever increasingly more difficult. Local chrome shop shuttered its doors four years ago. Now you got to mail it out or drive a few hours to find someplace to rechrome.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Have to re-chrome the bumpers if you do that, and that isn't cheap.
                  So how do the low-rider folk chrome their chassis?
                  sigpic
                  1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                  302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                  COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Even if I sectioned the bumpers they would still weight a ton. These steel bumpers almost need 2 people to lift them up. The aero ones are light as a feather.

Then there is a matter of rechroming them and that ain't cheap. By that point I might as well get some custom ones made from fiberglass or carbon fiber.

Comment

Oh, if you're trying to shed some weight then yes, alu is the way to go. Rechroming is something I just took for granted would be available, guess there's lots to be said about location - like, in Cali you can get just about anything done, including some leading on body seams even tho that's technically not supposed to be going on anymore, curse you EPA/CARB/treehuggers.

In any case, why did you switch back to the old-style fiberglass pieces when you put the car together for your work commute, instead of leaving the white "aero-box" ones in place? That thing looked like it's a set of headlamps away from being ready to go...
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I am running OEM Mustang LED bulbs in all the auxiliary lights which require modifying the bulb mounts. I never got around to doing that yet to the aero lights. Couldn't drive the car with no lights.

Comment

Ah, makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                            So how do the low-rider folk chrome their chassis?
                            They spend a lot of money. Chrome plating ain't cheap. Last I looked into having some bumpers done, the numbers I was getting were around 800 bucks per bumper and that was a number of years ago. I don't even want to know what dipping a whole frame would cost. As lumpy and nasty as they are to begin with, just the prep work to make it not look like shiny shit would be not insignificant.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remember in college I priced out an inexpensive pumper set to convert the car into a lowrider. I ended spending money on other shit, always in 5k chunks. But the car didn't need work then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              sigpic
                              1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                              302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                              COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

I gave up searching for replacement door panels and went ahead with my original plan. Custom panels to match modern dash.

Comment

Working...
                                X