What do the rear window switches do?

Looks fantastic.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      What do the rear window switches do?

Looks fantastic.

Right now nothing but that switch bezel is garbage with broken clips. I am just using it for a mock up. I need to get another bezel and fill the rear window switch area smooth.

Comment

Maybe you can use them for latching relays on heated seats?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Roll down quarter windows.

Do it

Do

It
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Originally posted by Georges86 View Post
            Roll down quarter windows.

Do it

Do

It
            Back seat drivers don't get to ride in comfort. Although that would be pretty neat.

Comment

So I'm guessing these door panels are brand new and of your own creation? They look pretty awesome either way!

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
              I also swapped my door latches and lock actuator for Lexus/Camry units.
              Details on those ↑↑↑ pls, in case this prick ↓↓↓ decides he wants them on his wagin

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
              How cool is that.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I'll post details on the latches when they are completely done but it wasn't just a simple bolt on.

I am also adding a couple of vertical braces to the doors to eliminate the flex. Basically square metal tubing bolted to the inside of the door. I am gonna add 2 braces per door. This will help reduce some of the resonance and pretty much eliminate any flex.

Here is a quick video. My phone is picking up all the ambient noise but the latches are much quieter than stock.

Last edited by Mr Bean; 05-09-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Yea those will go good with the (5) Lambo doors.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Yea those will go good with the (5) Lambo doors.
                    Meh, Lambo doors are actually easy. Want a challenging conversion, there's always the hideaway tailgate of the big Pontiac boats IIRC
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Not a bolt on, but that doesn't look too bad for a latch conversion. And those braces make the door skookum as frig. Very nice. Might do that to the doors on my 4-door... though I would only need one bar per front door.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The stock door design on these is really about as minimal as you can possibly get. Kind of amazing they hold their shape at all really. The outer skin has one brace channel, the inner has absolutely nothing. All that floppy crap just makes them sound horrible.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I want my doors that damn quiet to open and close. NO MORE RATTLES!!!

Comment

I'd really like to know more about the work that went into those door panels. They look pretty sharp. Recently I've been looking up ideas for DIY door panels as the rear cardboard is warping in the '88.

It's rather sad, that the newer Panther's doors feel so much heavier and secure than the older ones...usually seems to be assumed that the older cars were sturdier all-around, not so the case with these.

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                            So I'm guessing these door panels are brand new and of your own creation? They look pretty awesome either way!

Details on those ↑↑↑ pls, in case this prick ↓↓↓ decides he wants them on his wagin
                            I laughed harder than I should have at this.

Meh, Lambo doors are actually easy. Want a challenging conversion, there's always the hideaway tailgate of the big Pontiac boats IIRC
                            I always thought proper gullwings on a tudor would look badass, but that would involve chopping the roof damn near to the center to get a correct hinge point. I can't imagine the bracing required, nor the hydraulic or torsion set up required to get the doors to lift easy and reliably.

sigpic
                            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              I want my doors that damn quiet to open and close. NO MORE RATTLES!!!
                              It's only money, get to saving up.

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                              It's rather sad, that the newer Panther's doors feel so much heavier and secure than the older ones...usually seems to be assumed that the older cars were sturdier all-around, not so the case with these.
                              New everything seems to be heavier and stronger built. It has to do with requirements for survival in case of an accident, new cars tend to do much better in occupants protection and that comes at the cost of increased weight usually.

I laughed harder than I should have at this.
                              Hopefully he did as well. Tis the problem when cracking a joke online, you never know how the other person will take it.

I always thought proper gullwings on a tudor would look badass, but that would involve chopping the roof damn near to the center to get a correct hinge point. I can't imagine the bracing required, nor the hydraulic or torsion set up required to get the doors to lift easy and reliably.
                              Nah, I think Jay had it right with the lambo doors, at least for a 2-door Panther. Gullwings are horrible for multiple reasons, I'd much rather have something like Lambos and T-tops instead, oh and a nice cage just in case.

Comment

It's only money, get to saving up.
                                Just waiting on you to get back lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X