No announcement yet.

Mod Box - 85' Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent a couple of hours after work tonight lowering donor body onto the ground then took some measurements of the 2 cars to compare how much work will have to be done. At this point it looks like the 85' body will simply bolt onto the 07' frame with no modifications. My main concern was the 4 body mounts at the front of the firewall but they measure out to be in the same locations. Actually I discovered that Ford did so little work to these cars over the years. For example the 07' has holes in the firewall that are used on the 85' for bolts.

Box bodies have longer windshields which stretch down further onto the firewall. I was hoping the wiper cowl would simply bolt on but I will have to do some mods to get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      At this point it looks like the 85' body will simply bolt onto the 07' frame with no modifications. My main concern was the 4 body mounts at the front of the firewall but they measure out to be in the same locations. Actually I discovered that Ford did so little work to these cars over the years. For example the 07' has holes in the firewall that are used on the 85' for bolts.

That's sad yet great news at the same time.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It's simply amazing. They did do mods where it counted though.

Nice work Mr Bean! It's fun to watch.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

it would be epic to do a complete roller swap of an 05+ on my beater and make it an autocross car. I would have to come into some major funds first because I'd also do engine/trans/rear axle/springs/shocks/wheels/tires/willwood (or similar) brakes.

stuff like this gives me happy thoughts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Box bodies have longer windshields which stretch down further onto the firewall. I was hoping the wiper cowl would simply bolt on but I will have to do some mods to get it to work.
            I am not following this. What does swapping a frame have to do with a wiper cowl?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              I am not following this. What does swapping a frame have to do with a wiper cowl?
              I am planning on swapping as much modern electronics as I can while still leaving the boxy body. The wiper cowl was one of those and since I had it off I test fitted it. Just threw it in there, has nothing to do with frame swap.

Comment

I see. I missed that in your posts.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I ran into my first issue tonight. I was unbolting the 85' body off the frame and one of the body bolts decided it didn't want to come out and eventually just decided to spin inside the body. I am guessing the nut that was welded to the body broke off. It is the second body mount from the rear of the car. I thought maybe the bolt came out inside the trunk but no such luck, it's below the floor board. Surprisingly there is a spot of rust on the trunk floor right next to where that mount would be. What's the best way to deal with this? Should I just cut an access hole in the trunk so I can vice grip it and then weld a patch in there after it's done?

Comment

Since you will have to replace the nut that is in the boxed area yea, cutting a clean access hole is best. There are other ways but, now is not the time to be a sloppy mechanic.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Such an awesome project and I vote for cutting an access hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cut the hole. I had to do that in a few places for my car. Add a patch afterwards. My car was rusted out on both side by those mounts.....though those bolts buzzed right out lol.
                        ~David~

Comment

What's the best way to deal with this? Should I just cut an access hole in the trunk so I can vice grip it and then weld a patch in there after it's done?
                          Yep, cut a hole then weld it back up. Had to do the same thing on my 89 in a few spots.
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Making slow progress tonight. Cut a hole in the trunk and snapped the last body mount bolt.

Here is the bad spot. Turns out there is a channel underneath the trunk floor where water and dust can collect. There is actually a drain hole in the corner but mine was all clogged up with crap. No wonder it rusted.

I also did some more checking and measuring. Rear of the frame is exactly the same on box and whale. There are unused holes in the 07' frame that are being used on the 85'. Box rear bumper bolts right up to the 07' frame. They added an extra support to the 07' frame between the frame rails which is kinda nice actually. Makes it sturdier.

If everything goes according to plan I am hoping to test fit the 07' frame tomorrow.

Comment

I think that support has been there since '92.

I'll have to check to make sure those channels are clear when I get the box out. If it ever warms up....
                              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                                I think that support has been there since '92.

PI boxes had that support too. If your talking about the rear most one.

Comment

Working...
                                X