My 1989 Crown Victoria.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace the hose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Replace the hose.
      eh..

I bet you cracked the little plastic nipple that comes off of the reservoir. I just fixed mine a couple days ago, it's something like 20$ and is pretty easy to install without taking much apart. Just make sure not to fuck the o-ring for it.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        Replace the hose.
        Hose should be good. It's pretty much brand new. I put it in as well as the high pressure hose when I replaced the steering gear last year.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        eh..

I bet you cracked the little plastic nipple that comes off of the reservoir. I just fixed mine a couple days ago, it's something like 20$ and is pretty easy to install without taking much apart. Just make sure not to fuck the o-ring for it.
        Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of. I guess I'm going to have to pull the hose off and inspect the return line area of the power steering pump.

So you're suggesting picking up a new reservoir if that's the case and replacing it?

Looks like Rockauto has a Dorman one for $14

Or it looks like I can just replace the whole pump for $45-50.

Edit: Holy image size!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

ah. I had that issue when I did mine initially, but tightening the clamp sorted it. those hoses are hella tough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah. I was actually thinking if the plastic nipple is intact, maybe I give the hose a little heat to soften it up a little bit? It seems pretty damn hard.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Kick Panel Repair, Wiring Cleaned up and Shifter Collar Reinformcement

Well, I finally got around to doing something on my to-do list.

I fixed the inside door handle of my '96 Olds Ciera. It had broken in the deep freeze of the winter. I used a replacement Dorman one and put the door panel together better than it's been in the past. Pretty happy with this.

OT, I added a second zip-tie to my broken speedometer shifter collar. It's been reading "N" as "OD" for about 2 months now. I realigned it and tightened it down with a second zip tie. So far so good. I still need to take the whole thing out and set the odometer to the correct mileage at some point this summer.

I also cleaned up the rats nest of wiring I created over the winter with my additional cigarette lighter and relay mod for the dash cam. Everything got folded up nicely and zip tied into place.

I also had a problem where the holes in my kick panel for the plastic trim retainer screw things were ripped through so the panel wouldn't stay up. I decided to fix this with some masking paper and super glue. I figured the glue wouldn't hold the fiber like material the panel is made out of together on it's own so i layered up some masking paper with super glue between each layer over where the holes go. After I had a decent amount of layers, I cut away the excess. I have to say, this worked out awesome. It might actually be stronger now than it was originally.

Here's some pics of the process:

Here's layering up the masking paper and super glue like paper machete:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Image04262015180740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	1277394

Cutting away the extra:

Name:	Image04262015181720.jpg
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1277395

Hole one done!

Name:	Image04262015181800.jpg
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1277396

I had to also do this to the hole to the left of the center hole as well. Good as new!

Comment

I forgot all about that panel being that weird fiber/fabric stuff on the 89 and older panthers. I wonder if the plastic panel from a 90-91 could be used as a replacement? Next time I have a chance I'll have to test fit the 90-91 plastic panel to see if that might be an option.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm having a hard time remembering what those panels looked like. It's been about 3 years since I've owned my '91 GMQ and I don't appear to have any pics from that low in the dash. Are they just black formed plastic?

Comment

oh and it would be easier to replace the reservoir than the pump. Those pump bolts are seized and you'd have to pull the pulley off.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                      I'm having a hard time remembering what those panels looked like. It's been about 3 years since I've owned my '91 GMQ and I don't appear to have any pics from that low in the dash. Are they just black formed plastic?
                      Yes, black formed plastic. I forgot to test fit the newer panel on an older box last time I was at the JY. Maybe next time.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Exhaust Hole Fix

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm in the process of buying a house and time and money is currently tied up in other things.

So the exhaust pipe that runs from the AIR system to the pipe before the 2nd cats broke off and started leaking out the side. There was about a quarter inch gap from the pipe and the side of the exhaust.

The first time, I tried one of those exhaust wrap fixes on it. That worked for one day before a hole was burned through it.

My current "fix" was a cut piece of flashing wrapped around where the pipe broke and then two hose clamps to hold it in place.

It's not a permanent fix. That would be just ripping out the whole pipe and closing off the holes on the side of the cats. Apparently this is the last year I need to pass a visual inspection of emission devices like this so I figured I would keep it in for a little while longer.

It's not pretty, but here it is:

Name:	IMG_20150711_160846.jpg
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	1278025
                        Last edited by slack; 07-27-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Those stupid tubes are always rusting off on me. My dad fixed one on my 89 with some high temperature hose and clamps. That lasted a few years, but the next batch of the same hose we tried lasted just a few months tops.
                          I have been known to just leave it as is, in fact my 91 currently has the driver side wide open at that tube while the ghetto fix on the passenger side seems to be holding. It's a bit loud with those tubes disconnected but it blends right in around here.

I've thought about getting a coupler used for electrical conduit but since I'm ordering replacement exhaust parts soon I doubt I'll try it.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Mine rusted off, sounded like a leaking gasket, just made a ticking sound. Had it rewelded and all is good. My exhaust is a bit louder than the standard system so maybe I just didn't notice.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Yeah. Mine started as a ticking sound when it first started leaking but once it completely rotted off it was too loud for me. With band practice, I'm pulling up at home at 1am. I doubt the neighbors enjoy the noise that late.

Hopefully this fix lasts some time. The hell of it is, the rest of the pipe has ZERO rust on it besides some surface rust. Just that one spot rotted out. (Maybe heat related?)

Comment

I've never seen that tube rust anywhere other than those connections. Is it maybe a slightly different metal composition than the main exhaust? If so, that might explain why it usually only rusts at those connections; bad interaction of the two metals.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X