Larisa "1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    I'm thinking the issue is with the cam itself. He's pulled all plugs and removed the rockers and push rods. He found so far that there's a bent pushrod for one of the rockers for cylinder 3. Told him to pull the chain off again and see if he can spin either the cam or crank by hand. Since there's no connection to the heads, I'd imagine one of those things should be turning with not too much effort. The thing that don't spin is the problem. I feel like it's something to do with the cam as that dowel pin sheered off. apparently that's what the explorer cam uses as his friend just got an explorer motor as well with the same strange looking dowel pin.
    #3 is the one that flooded? Solid advice either way, should narrow things down quite a bit - not much going on inside these engines anyways, process of ellimination with them isn't very convoluted and does work fairly well.

Originally posted by MattsLincoln View Post
    cam was never pulled when building the motor it was not touched when being built.
    And that makes things that much weirder... Did you pre-lube the engine by means of an old distributor with the gear removed? Also other than the one bent pushrod, is ther any other visible damage? All valves sit nice and up, none closes at a position lower than teh rest?
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I wonder if he destroyed a set of cam bearings.. Then it'll be time for a real rebuild. But I doubt it. I depending on how bent the pushrod was, that can stop a motor from spinning. But it'd have to be REAL dicked.
      I'd pour a little oil in the motor, no biggie.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
        #3 is the one that flooded? Solid advice either way, should narrow things down quite a bit - not much going on inside these engines anyways, process of ellimination with them isn't very convoluted and does work fairly well.

And that makes things that much weirder... Did you pre-lube the engine by means of an old distributor with the gear removed? Also other than the one bent pushrod, is ther any other visible damage? All valves sit nice and up, none closes at a position lower than teh rest?
        Yes primed oil pump with drill and 1/4" drill adapter.
        #5 was the one that flooded.
        As for if any damage to valves, he's in the process of pulling the heads off now. Cam and crank do spin when chain taken off. So something is very weird here...

Comment

Drop a small socket into #3?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if the rotating parts rotate independently, then it should rotate with a chain. If it was hydro-locked the crank wouldn't go unless the cam happened to end up in a spot where it opened the valves on the wet cylinder and let it push fluid out of whatever port was open. I would generally advise not rotating those parts independent of one another though. I managed to get away with having the chain fall off while driving and not doing any damage to the heads, but I won't guarantee that I didn't just get extremely lucky. I know lopos crash valves if that happens, I can't absolutely swear the reliefs in the Exploder pistons will give enough clearance to ensure that does not happen. I also have E7 heads, which may or may not make a difference.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This sucks Matt. Good luck to you and John on finding the issue.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Did the oil get dropped?

How much came out?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  Drop a small socket into #3?
                  Gotta be a really small socket, valves don't open all that much to grant a fairly large object lije that right of passage. But at this point, it's as good guess as any.

Gonna be interesting to see what the head removal reveals... Flash of brilliance, any chance the timing set was installed wrong? Like 180* off?
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

180 off isn't off. 2:1 ratio, c'mon now. If the crank dot was down, that might be a problem though.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Motor update on the blass its fucked. 😭something in the rotating assembly is jamming up and squeaking( sounds similar to rubber squeaking when turning tires on the ground at a dead stop) when rotating the crankshaft. doesnt spin easily like it should without heads. theres no bent valves either which is odd as fuck. what the hell bent my pushrod then.

watch the video and you can hear the noise i hear, doesnt sound good.Click image for larger version

Name:	1010328_556300817865592_2872069328343789368_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1279048Click image for larger version

Name:	1934745_556300784532262_5755601608996540567_n.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1279049Click image for larger version

Name:	1935720_556300831198924_7833855860878956127_n.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1279050Click image for larger version

Name:	10373482_556300797865594_7680709708205619828_n.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1279051Click image for larger version

Name:	12804664_556300764532264_6110147595710132408_n.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1279052Click image for larger version

Name:	1003589_556312777864396_7052140389486546844_n.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1279053Click image for larger version

Name:	10441963_556312761197731_5566276096422299652_n.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1279054

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

me no see no video.

Looks like there is rusty stuff inside the cylinder walls. Sure its not just the rings dragging on that? What hapeened to cause an entire bank to be full of water anyway? Looks like all 4 cyls on that side were wet. That would definitely make it not rotate. I have seen rings broken from water before, but the engine was running, not just being cranked over with the starter. Look for scoring on the walls, if the rings snapped you'd see distinct scratch marks from it.

If the pushrod wasn't landed into the dimple on the rocker arm or in the lifter before it was tightened down, it can bend it. They really aren't all that tough. Slice once apart sometime, its thin tubing with a ball welded to each end. They are very strong in straight compression but any sort of side load and they bend.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 03-16-2016, 11:16 PM.

Comment

video

logan thinks its a spun rod bearing

http://vid1298.photobucket.com/album...psnx3gjypk.mp4

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

i took these pics after i air dried out the coolant residue, and then shot pb blaster into the cylinders to lubricate the walls and see if it freed up. no go on that, so i knew the issue was internal to the rotating assembly

Comment

To echo Gadget. Are the cylinder walls at all rusty? Or were they rusty before you cleaned them? They look it. Is there fresh oil in the pan and on the cylinder walls? It sounds dry.

Was the oil changed before attempted startup after the leaky injector was fixed?
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I can assume that with all of the fuel that filled the combustion chambers, it leaked around the pistons and down to the bottom end which made your oil into a nice water type consistency which then wouldn't lubricate the rotating assembly very well at all. The piston is then trying to compress the fuel and since it couldn't compress the liquid; it would spin a rod or maybe even main bearing (Doubtful) but that's the only thing I can think of causing it to not want to turn over. I mean I don't even think that it's that likely. I would try to crank the motor with the starter on it and see if the starter can rotate it enough to loosen some of the rust on the cylinders. If it doesn't want to do it after a couple tries, don't keep pushing it - you'll dick your starter real bad.

Should've done the bottom end bearings to begin with, it doesn't cost much extra and gives you a real "new" engine. Then if you fuck it up you just accept it and take it as a learning experience. I've done it, can't take it too much to heart.

I'm a dick and I'll make fun of you, but I'm always happy to help.
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X