Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that the supercharger is going to be by far the most complicated and expensive addition. It's one of the very last things I intend to do because of that, and I won't even attempt it until I fully understand everything I need to do and how to do it. Even then, I'll probably at least borrow another car until it's completely done and done right.

My initial estimate for everything on the list, as I understand it right now, is about $15,000 when all is said and done, but it'll probably end up considerably more than that. Either way, none of this is going to happen quickly or easily. With the money I have to live on, I have to prioritize everything I need very carefully, and this is no exception. For example, right now the priority is getting new tires before winter, and the alternator conversion after that so I won't have to freeze my ass off like last year.

I've been getting increasingly frustrated at the "do this" and "get this" answers I typically get (from various sources), often followed by telling me what to do. I greatly appreciate the comprehensive explanation. You've provided a lot of very clear information and I'm exceptionally grateful.

I also appreciate your empathy and objectivity. Thank you.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
      May I refer you to:

I'm not a child, I'm not stupid, and I'm not crazy.
      We seem to be a little sensitive here. You asked for our thoughts and then bristle when you get them. Most of us have been "at this" a lot longer than you so we are giving helpful info based upon our collective experiences. You are certainly free to do as you wish. You stated your repair experience is limited so hence my suggestions. So unless you have VERY deep pockets your list is probably not feasible (will you have the car in 5 or 10 years??). Didn't mean to upset you - just stating reality. Since I can no longer be helpful, I am off this thread!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
        Since when do neighbors have the authority to tell you that you can't do an engine swap in the driveway? If mine tried to tell me to stop working on my car in the driveway i'd tell them to go fuck themselves.
        If you live in a private community with CCRs The community can tell you what to do, or impose a fine. I lived in one for awhile. Could not work on the car in the driveway, could not park on the street (the street was owned by the community) There were certain colors that only could be used to paint the houses. grass had to cut. Private communities are nice if you don't work on cars.

Comment

God do I hate HOAs.
          1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

I still haven't gotten to any engine mods on my 88 (now 6 years in the DD service). I even had the top end HO conversion parts except for a cam. I finally gave up on that after the car was totaled and now I'm just driving it until it dies. Beater gonna beat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
              There's plenty of ways to go about this. Want more low and mid range? Get a twin-screw. Want more top end? Get a centrifugal. And so on.
              Not to start a huge debate or throw the thread off topic, but keep in mind that Roots/Twin Screw Superchargers produce all their boost at WOT, regardless of engine speed. That'll put more stress on the engine and reduce life. Centrifugal Superchargers make boost progressively with engine rpm so little to no extra stress is put on the engine. Centrifugal also creates less heat, especially with an efficient air-to-air intercooler setup.

Twin Screw does make a ton of low-mid range torque but I think Centrifugal is better for street use. That's debatable, but that's my opinion of it. If you really want the low-mid power, a Twin Screw has improvements over Roots for street use, Roots are better if you're going for big power gains in a racing application.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                We seem to be a little sensitive here. You asked for our thoughts and then bristle when you get them. Most of us have been "at this" a lot longer than you so we are giving helpful info based upon our collective experiences. You are certainly free to do as you wish. You stated your repair experience is limited so hence my suggestions. So unless you have VERY deep pockets your list is probably not feasible (will you have the car in 5 or 10 years??). Didn't mean to upset you - just stating reality. Since I can no longer be helpful, I am off this thread!!
                'S because I'm tired of effectively being told I'm stupid. I didn't ask how feasible it was. I'm fully aware of that. And I never said I was gung-ho to get it all done as soon as possible at my own detriment. I don't even have a job.

And regardless of how "deep" my pockets would have to be to do all of it, it would still be significantly cheaper than a new car. I've had it for two years and everything I've spent on it still only amounts to 6 months of car payments.

I'm going to be keeping it as long as concievably possible. If I thought of it as a throw-away tool I would keep it as it is right now and never bother with it again.

Not to start a huge debate or throw the thread off topic, but keep in mind that Roots/Twin Screw Superchargers produce all their boost at WOT, regardless of engine speed. That'll put more stress on the engine and reduce life. Centrifugal Superchargers make boost progressively with engine rpm so little to no extra stress is put on the engine. Centrifugal also creates less heat, especially with an efficient air-to-air intercooler setup.

Twin Screw does make a ton of low-mid range torque but I think Centrifugal is better for street use. That's debatable, but that's my opinion of it. If you really want the low-mid power, a Twin Screw has improvements over Roots for street use, Roots are better if you're going for big power gains in a racing application.
                Makes sense. My intention is not going fast. My intention is simply to make it capable of doing whatever I need it to for as long as I have it. Which, if I have my way, will be until it blows up.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

ootdega as far as being able to mod your car even as your daily driver... I haven't really had an issue with it yet. Yeah, it can make for some long ass days but when you need to get shit done, it has to get done. My car is my daily driver and I'm always messing with stuff. This isn't my first rodeo either. Before my CV was my '84 Celebrity after that was my '82 Deville... etc.... (Nothing like doing an engine swap at 11pm!)

That said, I do have an older GM a-body as my backup. I keep it parked and usually use it for some random longer trip transportations (usually driving to band practice honestly) or part store running. My CV is my daily driver but if the shit hits the fan, I do have a second car to run to the parts store. That's just the only thing I wanted to add about modding your daily driver. Just as long as you can get around for a day or so if crap doesn't work out and you're going to spend some long nights after work finishing up... you're fine.

(Edit: just read you don't have a job. so having to work more after work should't be an issue but it's always good to have a fall back means of transportation even for a short time).

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I hope to get a job relatively soon. One of these days I'll get a backup of some sort, but until then I'll just have to bug someone to pick me up if excrament contacts the rotary air circulation device.

Thanks for your input.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Stuff.
                      Ever go back and read something you wrote a long time ago and wonder how the hell you were ever that stupid such a short time ago?

Yeah. That. Hard to believe I wasn't 15.

...Anyway, I've done a lot of stuff and things, most of which was only possible through the information provided by the lot of you. I've also re-written the list to include everything I'd already accomplished, mostly to keep myself from getting discouraged from life in general. While I was at it, I removed some redundancy and things I changed my mind on.

I was gonna [spoiler] it here, but it doesn't work because I used brackets to act as checkboxes.

Basically, I've got the tires I wanted, an LSD, a new heater core, and fixed the heater door hinge. I also bought a pair of Gabriel Ultra front shocks and 1.25" wheel spacers, but I haven't got them installed yet.

None of this was easy, especially considering the fact that I had to take it back to the shop three different times because they kept breaking things and ended up not having it for a month as a result, and the dash light they fucked up still doesn't work right. Never going there again.

I bumped my grandma's car, and scuffed part of the trim and bent the fender slightly in the process, so I'll have to deal with that next.

In addendum, I apologize for being a dumbass in the preceding chunk of thread. I do that a lot, and there's a reason for it, but I won't bother you all with my excuses.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Admission of the problem is typically enough for me. Admitting you can be an ass (dumb or smart) lets others know how to properly deal with you and your humor (or lack thereof). And knowing is half the battle. :-p

It's all good, we were all less informed at some point in life.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Admission of the problem is typically enough for me. Admitting you can be an ass (dumb or smart) lets others know how to properly deal with you and your humor (or lack thereof). And knowing is half the battle. :-p

It's all good, we were all less informed at some point in life.

I'm going to be punching myself for this nonsense for a good many years, whether I want to or not. But thanks. My plans haven't really changed and likely won't, but I probably shouldn't have been talking to anyone at that particular time.

Anyway, I'll see about taking some photos...uh...eventually.
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Monolith, cool tune by T.Rex!
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Ah. I didn't know that. So it's more of an all-or-nothing type deal. You've got to put your foot into it to use the boost. Sounds a lot like the old single turbo engines. They were gutless at part throttle, but quick as balls at WOT. 930 series 911 Turbo anyone?

Can definitely see why Centris are better for street use, and also better for what the OP wants. Less heat = less stuff breaking. Linear power delivery = easier launches, able to be both civilized and speedy.

Ever go back and read something you wrote a long time ago and wonder how the hell you were ever that stupid such a short time ago?

Yeah. That. Hard to believe I wasn't 15.

...Anyway, I've done a lot of stuff and things, most of which was only possible through the information provided by the lot of you. I've also re-written the list to include everything I'd already accomplished, mostly to keep myself from getting discouraged from life in general. While I was at it, I removed some redundancy and things I changed my mind on.

I was gonna [spoiler] it here, but it doesn't work because I used brackets to act as checkboxes.

Basically, I've got the tires I wanted, an LSD, a new heater core, and fixed the heater door hinge. I also bought a pair of Gabriel Ultra front shocks and 1.25" wheel spacers, but I haven't got them installed yet.

None of this was easy, especially considering the fact that I had to take it back to the shop three different times because they kept breaking things and ended up not having it for a month as a result, and the dash light they fucked up still doesn't work right. Never going there again.

I bumped my grandma's car, and scuffed part of the trim and bent the fender slightly in the process, so I'll have to deal with that next.

In addendum, I apologize for being a dumbass in the preceding chunk of thread. I do that a lot, and there's a reason for it, but I won't bother you all with my excuses.
                              Maybe not a short time ago, but a couple years? Sure.

The important part is that YOU, not us, realized and rectified the problem. There's something to be said for that. Something good.

I credit GMN for propelling my '89 to the next level. I've learned more than I ever thought was possible about these cars. And there's still more to learn. I can relate to the other stuff too- changing build lists, filling in details, etc. It's all part of building a car. My plans have changed at least a dozen times since I got my '89. Get used to it. The more you learn, the more your build will reflect that. I will also say it's nice to have something physical and concrete to fight for. I worked my ass off last summer, all on behalf of my car. Knowing you're fighting for something tangible (such a long tube headers, or new cylinder heads) helped me immensely, as is being able to reap the benefits of the things you're fighting for. Once you start successfully building your '89, you'll come to understand that selfish self-indulgence is a good and healthy thing. It validates our existence, and motivates us to pursue goals. I think I speak on behalf of GMN as a whole when say that it'd be our pleasure to continue helping you achieve your ends with your '89- whether it's just keeping her running nice, or making her a rip-roaring muscle car, or something in between.

Good tires and a working LSD should siginificantly improve handling. I noticed a difference right away when I switched to wider, stickier, shoes. Everything was better.

That's the thing. Very few places are even remotely competent with these cars. Get used to it. I was extremely lucky and found three good places locally (one for basic maintenance/stock parts stuff, one for going faster, and one for body work). But even then, they can't do everything. Learning to do quality work yourself is a GUARANTEED way to ensure you can do exactly what you want to your car.

Regarding the fender-bender: if it's not too deep, you could just pull the dent out with a plunger. Old body work trick. I posted this another thread, but it's equally valid here. If the scratch isn't too deep, you could probably just hit it with some buffing compound. More info here:
                              Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM. Reason: Added some context.
                              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

I want a push bar for my wagon so bad. Any more photos of that wagon? I know there are videos, but cant really pay attention to those at work.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                                1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                                88 CVLX
                                01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                                X