Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I call it the Monolith. I have plans for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sly View Post
    meh... give a little clearance... go at least 10 inches both sides for a 2 inch gap.
    Yeah, give it some room to flex. Should make parking a little easier too, since I'll have a rough indicator of where the rear is gonna be.

Thanks, sly. I'll do my best not to disappoint when bringing this idea to fruition.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

I just realized the cam I listed earlier was for flat lifters, not rollers. Fail.

I also just learned that COMP will custom grind for no extra charge. Win.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Here's the quick drawing of what I was thinking of with the spacers.
        Cool, I like how the shape of both sides kind of mirrors the profile of the birds sticking out of the Chrysler building. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/res...ticleLandscape
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Alright, so since I lack even a basic set of wrenches, and only had one socket with a piece of shit ratchet that the socket won't even stay attached to, I had to borrow a wrench and ratchet from my mom.

After a little effort, I managed to get one side of it off. I'm letting the other soak, since I'm working in a studio apartment here and don't have enough room to do both at once.

Do you think Ivan might be able to cut these to fit and fab some installation hardware if I sent just the two frame pieces and told them the distance between them?
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

The outside of this thing is relatively clean, but the inside of it is another story entirely... WD-40 isn't doing a great job at loosening this stuff up either. I'm considering switching to Ballistol.

Dish soap and a Scotch-Brite pad are doing a pretty good job of getting the rust and gunk off the outside of it, but for some reason the plastic pad is scratching the chrome surface. It's not a big deal though, I can buff it out later.

89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Naval jelly is your friend when it comes to rust removal.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Naval jelly is your friend when it comes to rust removal.
                Oooh, I didn't know about that stuff. Right now I'm just workin with what I got, but I'll get some of that when I have money.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

bottle of navel jelly is about $6 at home depot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It is difficult if you live in a CC& R neighborhood. To live there you have to abide by the neighborhood rules. Failure to do so gets you fined. I lived in a private community once. It was nice except for people who liked cars, like me. I had to ask permission to paint my house. It had to be a certain shade. Those Fujitshu heat pumps that are popular now, would not be allowed unless they were out of sight. Not only do you have to abide by the rules, you have to pay association fees to live there. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      It is difficult if you live in a CC& R neighborhood. To live there you have to abide by the neighborhood rules. Failure to do so gets you fined. I lived in a private community once. It was nice except for people who liked cars, like me. I had to ask permission to paint my house. It had to be a certain shade. Those Fujitshu heat pumps that are popular now, would not be allowed unless they were out of sight. Not only do you have to abide by the rules, you have to pay association fees to live there. Never again.
                      That sounds horrible. I'm unfortunately renting now but I don't plan on looking at any gated or co-op type living as my next step if I can help it. My mom just moved into a condo out of need down in PA. It was the most affordable option at the moment. Where she was renting was 2x as much... (Idk if the York guys know, it was the apartments off Queen St right off 83... they were like 1100+ a month. That's NY prices!) home ownership was too expensive. She currently has similar regulations. I don't know if I could take so many rules with something I owned and payed so much for.

[/threadjack]
                      Last edited by slack; 01-20-2015, 02:58 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

bottle of navel jelly is about $6 at home depot.
                        I know, I Googled it when Gadget mentioned it. I don't have $6. My bank account reads $1.10. I'm going to have to borrow some money from my mom to buy cat food.

Welcome to my life.

I refinished my K31 rifle (which I bought at a yard sale with my first Wal-Mart paycheck four and a half years ago) with a single leftover square of sandpaper, an old t-shirt, a clothing iron that was so old it was destroyed by the time I was done using it, a leftover can of Gunstock wood stain that was so old it said "New Color!" on it, and a couple $7 rattlecans of spar urethane, which were the only things I paid for.

I make do with what I got. My toolbox contains a useless haphazard assortment of screwdrivers, wrenches, hex keys, sockets, and pliers, with a single broken ratchet and a Gerber Suspension I carry on my belt. I don't even own a hammer.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        I live in an income-adjusted studio apartment and I'm the only one in the complex under 60. I have to drive to Twin Falls and use my mom's driveway to get any work done on my car, but it's worth it to be left alone somewhere quiet and only pay $158 a month.

Anyway, these last three hex bolts are being a bitch and a half to break loose and I'm running out of WD-40. I have a spare can of the dollar store stuff on hand if I do, but it probably isn't very good.
                        Last edited by ootdega; 01-20-2015, 03:33 AM.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

+1 no HOA for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                            Um, it says "More info here:" but there's nothing after it. I'm not sure what happened there.
                            I forgot the link, haha. That's what I get for trying to reply to more than one thread at a time!

Potentially helpful thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...my-car-(Grrrr)
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                              I forgot the link, haha. That's what I get for trying to reply to more than one thread at a time!

Potentially helpful thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...my-car-(Grrrr)
                              Hm...that's not really the kind of problem I have, and there doesn't seem to be a solution in the thread. Thanks though.

This last bolt is being insanely stubborn. It's really, REALLY rusted in there to the point where I've stripped the hex bolt trying to break it loose. Does anyone have a solution?
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

more PB Blaster/WD-40 penetrant... heat... and vice grips.

Comment

Working...
                                X