No announcement yet.

1994 Lincoln Town Car "Build Thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some photos that might help you. It's a Crown Victoria, a 1994, but all the big things will look pretty much the same on your TC.

1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Guys I have a really stupid question. Older cars I have worked on you can unbolt a plate and get to the heater core from the firewall (from the engine bay). Could you cut a hole in the firewall (or whatever the heater core is sitting in) and remove it that way? Of course I would make a new bolt on plate that would recover the hole. Or is there something keeping me from doing that?

Comment

It wouldn't be a stupid question if it could actually be done. And there's nothing wrong with asking. But, alas, I don't see an easy way of doing it. If you managed to cut a suitable hole in the firewall, you'd still have to figure out how to get the heater core out of the plenum. It's been awhile since I did mine, but I'm figuring anything you could do would probably take as much effort as doing it properly and create unwanted issues as well.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

you'd have to cut a sizable hole in the firewall, THEN a sizable hole in the air plenum to get the heater core out. The possibility of really screwing something up doing that is rather high. If you know exactly where to cut, it can be done, but if not, you'll screw up all kinds of stuff like wires and vacuum lines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks guys for the information. My dad suggested it and I was just thinking "If it was really that easy, wouldn't more people do it like that". Now I have some reasoning behind my madness.

Comment

Hey guys real quick pre parts run question. I decided to just replace the spark plugs with motorcraft plugs. The question is the Motorcraft OE style or the Motorcraft "platinum". The only difference I see is that one says material "platinum" and the other says "copper", but both have platinum tip material. I'm also going to go looking for a matching wheel (one wheel is the standard looking wheel and it annoys me) and I'm also going to look for a headlamp that isn't broken.
              Last edited by killgore; 10-03-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

the coil on plug engines are supposed to like the plats while the coil pack style (wires to plugs) and 302s copper. either will work in any engine. The 302s, the plats are a waste. I'm running copper in my PI swapped 93 with coil on plug... so meh. cheap plugs work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well when attempting to remove the spark plugs, the whole center electrode came out, but not the threads. Well shit. The other 7 went swimmingly though.

Comment

Thankfully, I've never had to deal with such an issue for spark plugs. I've only had to deal with such an issue on machinery that didn't care about where metal chips went. I've seen spark plug hole thread repair kits, but I would consider any kind of drilling to be a last resort. The thought of introducing metal chips into the combustion chamber just makes me cringe. What you've described indicates that only the threads from the spark plug are left in the hole, so there is already a hole for something to grab onto. There are extractor tools for just such a scenario, and here's a random example: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...set-40349.html. Since you already have a hole, you might not have to drill. Whenever I've used this style though they either didn't work or broke off. Maybe a style like this one would be better: http://www.newmantools.com/rennsteig...extractors.htm. At this point, I would suggest not rushing into anything. I'm sure someone else will have more insight into this problem.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Spray the piss out of it with PB Blaster then try using an easy-out drill bit.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Well I took the money out of my performance budget and sent it to the mechanics to get it professionally out. I would rather not risk me screwing anything up and trying to find a new engine. Worse case scenario I guess I'll find another panther and I have a parts car. Usually I would do the work myself but I am too scared to get metal shavings down into the engine.

Comment

120 bucks later it is fixed. Well no harm no foul I suppose.

Comment

Hey guys a couple of things. I do the heater core this weekend (much luck is needed on that) because it is cold inside when it is cold outside. I also am doing the hubs and brakes this weekend so all fun stuff. Random question however: traction bars (the old school slapper style) in the snow? I am not planning on putting them on, but if anyone had any experience I am curious. My friend just got his Dad's 73 Nova (4 door, kinda slick) and wants my help to make it beat me XD.

Comment

So the new heater core is in. My dad and I knocked it out in about 5 hours. It was a pita but I have heat again and it will definately be nice.

Comment

+1 PITA
                                +1 w00t!
                                +1
                                +1 huray for heat!

Comment

Working...
                                X