No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What headers fit a 351? Are BBK 351 swap headers the only option? Do 302 headers like FRPP's not physically fit?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

The 302 shorties will fit, but a mustang h-pipe won't bolt up to them. So if you're having a custom exhaust made, it's not a big deal.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
        What headers fit a 351? Are BBK 351 swap headers the only option? Do 302 headers like FRPP's not physically fit?
        No, the FRPP ones will hit the bellhousing IIRC. 351 swap headers are pretty much the only option as far as I know.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The swap headers also help keep the flanges away from the plastic AC box and such. Nothing like the smell of melted plastic in the morning, yummy.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            351's have larger bolts. 1/2" vs 7/16".
            I'm aware.. lol.. My heads were already drilled or maybe came stock with 1/2" because the larger bolts fit just fine

I was planning to run some sort of 302 short tubes, stock foxbody (What I have laying around..) BBK or otherwise MAC. My H pipe is two pieces that connect in the middle with a joint, I'd put a piece of pipe in that joint to widen them apart and allow for the slightly wider 351.. If that fails.. Then.. uh.. Open headers. Only reasonable answer.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
              I'm aware.. lol.. My heads were already drilled or maybe came stock with 1/2" because the larger bolts fit just fine

I was planning to run some sort of 302 short tubes, stock foxbody (What I have laying around..) BBK or otherwise MAC. My H pipe is two pieces that connect in the middle with a joint, I'd put a piece of pipe in that joint to widen them apart and allow for the slightly wider 351.. If that fails.. Then.. uh.. Open headers. Only reasonable answer.
              Some gt40/p's came in the 1/2" variety. They just had stepped headbolts from the factory. Like gadget said, stock 302 headers on a 351 will put them alarming close to things they shouldn't be near.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                I think I'm going to paint all the steelies gloss black..

lol.. Have you read my engine build progress..

and the 94-96 was the roller block, that's what mine is.
                I read it; just forgot. Memory loss becomes involuntary with age

Packman

Comment

yeah the last time I ran open headers on something, I lit the car on fire. May have been related to the fuel leak but either way it was not a good experience.

I figure you knew about the fatter bolts, but thats why they have higher torque too. I've broken Chevy head bolts before, and it doesn't take as much as you might expect. They ran 7/16 bolts and I think the heads run 70 or 75 ft/lb. They break at less than 10 over that. Mercifully when they snap, they don't blow apart completely if you stop rght away, and you can just unscrew them. The threads crack right through the root, but if you're careful it will stay connected by the raised part and let you get it out without a whole lot of fuckery.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Painted up my "new" MSD box, as the paint was chipped away on most of it. Need to go get a helicoil for the head bolt.. Other than that. It sits.

Removed most of the wiring from the F250's plow setup and put the other four spark plugs in and the EGR line, idles alot better but WILL NOT handle WOT. Hardly even drivable. I'm thinking TPS now..

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Fixed the F250 today, makes power and runs good. So when replacing the wires, cap and rotor. My father printed out a correct firing order, changed some wires around and bingo! Runs great and makes power. Wooo! Still need to clean it all up and it'll be a great winter beater.

Finished burning out the bushings on the driver's side LCA. Need to find me a ball joint tool and all will be on its way.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

yeah, wires mixed up will make it run bad.

Comment

yeah, wires mixed up will make it run bad.
                          Still doesn't like WOT. I guess the past owner tried to give it a tune up and didn't educate himself on how to orientate the wires...

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

make sure the distributor is dropped right. #1 TDC has to point the rotor to the #1 spot on the cap. The batch fire stuff isn't nearly as picky as the SEFI stuff but it can still get goofy if it doesn't actually know where #1 is. Probably worth checking the timing too.

Comment

make sure the distributor is dropped right. #1 TDC has to point the rotor to the #1 spot on the cap. The batch fire stuff isn't nearly as picky as the SEFI stuff but it can still get goofy if it doesn't actually know where #1 is. Probably worth checking the timing too.
                              Going to use the ol' timing light on it when i have some free time. Whale is off the road and plates are to be transferred to the pick'em'up truck.

And the coupe sits.
                              __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Went to a swap meet and picked up some other goodies for the build. Engine should be wrapping up soon and going in once I finish my detailing.

- 1.72 FORD Racing RRs - Need to buy pedestals
                                - Weiand waterpump
                                - MSD billet distributor
                                - 2 black Bullitt rims
                                - 6 cans of engine paint

All for 200$ Woo...

Need to order still:
                                - 351 swap oil pan + pickup.
                                - Energy engine mounts
                                - Valve covers (being super picky, going to settle for aluminum after I do some personal touches to them.)
                                - Weiand Intake
                                - 50oz Harmonic balancer
                                - Air cleaner (Super picky, again.)
                                - Other little misc shit..

Suspension.
                                - BB parts
                                - Swaybar(s)
                                - 925 front coils, undecided rears.
                                - KYB rear shocks.
                                - LSD
                                surely more.

Then comes the little questions.. Like.. Which shift kit do you guys prefer? I prefer the cheapest possible since the trans won't be there for long. Any tips of polishing a driveshaft, well.
                                __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X