No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's the angle of the pic but looks like it needs alignment. I'm gonna assume pic, since it should be done with new wheels/tires.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Dave-

John programmed it with a Quarter Horse and binary editor, he then took that home with him, wrote the tune to a J3 chip via a Jaybird I own. The hardware is all by Moates.

Both John and I are learning quite a lot more about the inner workings of EEC-IV ECM's than we were expecting, but it's all quite interesting. I suspect what we learn will eventually be applied not only to my car, but John's and Logan's as well, once we really get it down using my car as a Guinea pig lol.
      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 06-11-2015, 09:41 PM.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Good, learn all you can so I don't have to. I may need some stuff done with my car once its running with this cam. I sort of expect it to need fatter injectors, at some point I really need to get a better MAF and teach the computer about what MAF I have rather than just plugging in random used shit, etc.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Phil.

And I second Thains suggestion on learning it so I don;t need to. This is next years concern for me. Springing for that engine next month, then the build commences.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Dave-

John programmed it with a Quarter Horse and binary editor, he then took that home with him, wrote the tune to a J3 chip via a Jaybird I own. The hardware is all by Moates.

Both John and I are learning quite a lot more about the inner workings of EEC-IV ECM's than we were expecting, but it's all quite interesting. I suspect what we learn will eventually be applied not only to my car, but John's and Logan's as well, once we really get it down using my car as a Guinea pig lol.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah the alignment is positive camber, I did a basic alignment when I changed the front suspension. I've been putting it off since I've been using the stock tires and don't care about them. But once I get these new tires on, I'll have it done. Just putting the rims on, gives me a little more appreciation for the hooptie.

The tune is starting to show some signs of off-ness, the car hunts for idle sometimes and it likes to stall when in reverse. I know it's a basic one so I won't bitch too much, still hauls ass through all the forward gears. But bucks like a bastard. All. The. Time.

But it's a pleasure to drive, gives you the thrill and fear of racecar.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

The rims look good.

Yeah the computer will learn based on that tune, and unfortunately it sometimes learns wrongly and instead of making correction that help it run better, it makes it run worse. Not a problem when you are able to correct it, but an annoyance in your case when you can't.

you say it bucks all the time, is it mostly at low throttle conditions, or it also bucks when you get on it?
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Little trick I learned just yesterday on my own car. Check your charging system voltage. I had neglected to tighten the lower alternator bolt fully and I was getting a shit ground. Battery was running just shy of 13 volts and it was bucking. Tighten the bolt and its at 13.8 and the bucking went away. If you have a stock shitty alternator, it might just be not charging enough to fire the ignition correctly. John and I were actually wondering if this is not the true source of the infamous "lopo miss".
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm running a constant of like 14.1-14.5 volts.

Bucking goes away when you get on it, you can feel it when you let off the gas in 5th at highway speed.

Doesn't do it at 120 though.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

unhook the vacuum line to the EGR valve and see if it goes away. thats another thing I had problems with. My EVR was dicked and it was throwing the EGR valve to full open at anything that was not idle or wide open throttle.

Comment

You've also got to remember that it's a manual and this is a very very common problem is foxes that have a lumpy cam.

I'm dead set it's all in the tune.

Tunes are expensive, it can wait.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

You nut.... going fast without an alignment.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The front tires look like a cultivator, with all of their positive camber.

I'll get it fixed when I get rear tires for the rims.

Probably.

Fourth gear is fucked, don't remember if I that already. Still works, still will get beat on.

That is all.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Please videos must see.
                            ~David~

Comment

Defiantly broke a body mount in the rear of the car the other day. It's the passenger side rear, I assume right above or before the rear tire.

That's my drive tire, no wonder why it broke..
                              __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

the body mounts really shouldn't break no matter how much you beat on it. The rubber just mushes down and lets things rattle. Make sure you didn't break a control arm or rip the arm mount off the frame tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X