No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only issue with the 03 frame is the front most mounts for the radiator support. Something about having to hack up the radiator support to make it sit right or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      The only issue with the 03 frame is the front most mounts for the radiator support. Something about having to hack up the radiator support to make it sit right or something.
      There's a lot more that just that, front bumper mounts need to be made from scratch or heavily modded, firewall needs to be modding as the steering column needs to be completely changed or heavily modded, front rad support needs to be hacked up to make work, and in Logan's case engine mounts and trans crossmemeber need to be remade, along with the pedal assembly.
      Then of course the brake and fuel lines, electrical, ect... bolting the body on is the easiest part of the swap.

At least he agrees with me that the modern dash has no place in a box body
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Fuckin kewl!
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          There's a lot more that just that, front bumper mounts need to be made from scratch or heavily modded, firewall needs to be modding as the steering column needs to be completely changed or heavily modded, front rad support needs to be hacked up to make work, and in Logan's case engine mounts and trans crossmemeber need to be remade, along with the pedal assembly.
          Then of course the brake and fuel lines, electrical, ect... bolting the body on is the easiest part of the swap.

At least he agrees with me that the modern dash has no place in a box body
          Modern dash = best dash cause it won't fall into your lap while you are driving.

Comment

they don't fall off, they just dance a bit. Goes along with the ass end jiggle you're supposed to have from a lack of lateral location in the rear. Besides, who wants intact dashboards when you can have 30 year old fragile petrochemical byproducts?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Box dashes are the only dashes that belong in boxes. Sorry Serge.

So uh came home a bit late and tinkered on a few things for a couple hours.

I had the interior all laid out yesterday and it seems mustang seats are very easy to configure to a panther. I elongated the holes on the rear brackets (There's PLENTY of meat on them) and I'll have to make a little angle iron piece for the front ones. Very simple. I would've made the front bracket but our big boy compressor doesn't like the cold and since the air hose runs 110ft into my garage, from the shed; the lines freeze at night when I'm running it. It seems the steering shaft is pretty easy to mod and make work. The whale shaft is a triangle type shape, where as the box one is a splined unit. So after deciding between the two, that I'd use the box one, I marked where the squared edges needed more room on the box shaft. There after, using the old style machinist dremel and cutting two notches in, making it fit right on the 03 rack. I then stuffed the dremel into the bolt hole in the box steering rack and bored out a spot for the bolt to slide through, which will also keep it aligned in the correct position. The only problem I have is that the shitty stock rubber bushing rack joint is just shit and causes steering wheel interference, which I won't have. So I'm going to look into changing it to a different style rag join, similar to Dave's box'.
              Also stripped the interior out, after taking those seat pics, since my new carpet arrived today (Looks like good quality shit.) . I'm going to line the whole floor with a sound deadener and do some wiring before it goes in.

Here's your goddamn pictures

PS, look at how FUCKED my firewall was from my cable clutch setup. BRACE YOUR FUCKING SHIT AND DON'T BE A DICK LIKE ME. No regrets.

Last edited by Bobcat; 03-02-2016, 02:34 AM.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post

PS, look at how FUCKED my firewall was from my cable clutch setup. BRACE YOUR FUCKING SHIT AND DON'T BE A DICK LIKE ME. No regrets.

It's almost like I mentioned this in multiple threads...
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Fix it now.

Comment

Those seats and steering wheel look AWESOME. Glad the steering shaft isn't too bad to mate to the rack. What's the solution for the pedal assembly coming through the firewall? New mounting point?
                    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 03-02-2016, 10:31 AM.
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Looks like you're going to need a new pedal assembly.

I will gladly take the old one off your hands.
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That steering shaft looks like a close fit. You will need to add another u-joint somewhere though. Otherwise it will bind.

Comment

What exactly is happening at the firewall? I expected to see the firewall adjuster sucked into the car but I see the opposite. Me no understand

Seats are mint BTW. Love it.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            What exactly is happening at the firewall? I expected to see the firewall adjuster sucked into the car but I see the opposite. Me no understand

Seats are mint BTW. Love it.
                            The firewall adapter is supposed to just sit on the firewall. But since box firewalls aren't meant to have the clutch force on them, mine tore through. Not really a big deal to be honest. Just pull it out, weld the cracks and weld a plate over all of that; to brace it. I'm going hydraulic clutch anyways so this won't be as much of an issue anymore. FYI, I knew it'd to that, going in and I decided to be a rebellious youth and allow it to happen.

Going to look into the steering shaft mods some more when I have time to go work on it and probably hack up the rad support to fit, wire some creature comforts in the interior, make the seat brackets and maybe take my booster off and pedals out.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

It still does not make sense to me. What are you calling a firewall adapter? Is the firewall adapter the firewall adjuster for the clutch cable?

The pictures just do not make sense. I see NO clutch cables. Im confuzled.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The cables are out. At the firewall, usually you have a grommet type thing (the firewall adapter) that sits against the firewall and the cable passes through it into the back of the clutch pedal. When you hit the clutch, the cable pulls and the adapter also tries to pull into the car with the pedal.

Its the round thing on that one with the little screw tab. If the firewall is made of the same cheese grade steel a stock box one is, it'll eventually just pull through and leave you with a gaping steel vagina looking wound like Logan has. Need some bracing in there for the firewall adapter to pull against without tearing through. If you notice, the metal is bent inward towards the passenger compartment. If that lets go entirely, you get no tension on the clutch cable and you're flat shifting your ass back home. The metal bit you see sticking through is the back end of the clutch pedal, probably where it meets the quadrant.

fantypant blue thing is the firewall adapter in that pic.
                                Last edited by gadget73; 03-02-2016, 07:36 PM.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X