No announcement yet.

85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what we are viewing is the clutch quadrant in the picture through the firewall because it pulled it so far into itself.

And I know what everything is. The picture had no description as to what is what.. hard to make out what the hell is going on.

First looked as if the clutch cable was removed but the firewall adjuster still in place all crooked sucked into the car.

Just wanted an explanation as to what we are actually viewing.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The picture is just showing how beat the firewall is. See all those little stress tears?

The other problem is that where you mount the firewall spacer, the firewall isn't flat. Best solution is to just weld a piece of metal over where it goes. I think Pier actually sells a piece for the 92+ but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a box.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Would it be safe to say the the firewall design is the same from 90 to at least 92 given that they use the same dashes and such?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Would it be safe to say the the firewall design is the same from 90 to at least 92 given that they use the same dashes and such?
          I'd say so, it's very similar to my 03.

Dicked with a couple things today, some reason I'm too tired to do much.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Finally went to go pick up my rotors today from the brake shop, I'm quite pleased. Jesus fuck these things are much larger from box ones, noticeably much heavier. I got metallic pads from the guy too, he's a good guy and gave me a pretty good deal on everything. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Especially since I'm going from driving the car with only the front brakes functioning (For the last 6 months of daily driving it) since I was too cheap to fix the rear wheel cylinders. Aye, it stopped /good enough/. Occasional drums seizing when coming to a stop, but hey that's all part of living life on the edge. Stupidity? Nah, no way.

Anyhow, motor is in long block form, I finished porting the second head finally and torqued them both on tonight, this'll help with finding the position that's needed for creating these engine mount, mounts. Still need to find a TKO 500 or if I'm lucky, a mustang T56 for cheap. I still need to remove the front suspension and go through all of that, I ordered new MOOG front coils for it as well, since one of them is cracked. Interior is still completely stripped. Fuck, I need to go pickup some sound deadening for that. Long list of shit to do, but nothing that's unmanageable.

Modify blow motor box
            Fab engine mount, mounts
            Fab transmission cross member
            Modify box rad support
            Take 03 front suspension out and go through it
            Put new coils, swaybar endlinks, swaybar bushings in
            Grind and paint the front section of the frame
            Do all the brake line fittings
            Order a Distribution block and plumb it
            Disassemble calipers, clean and paint.
            Remove rear end and replace with LSD unit (05+ 31 spline, LSD with 3.55 and if it's 3.27, I'll put my 3.73s in)
            Install body bushings
            Finish seat brackets
            Wire some fancy features
            Sound deaden interior
            Install carpet
            Build center console
            Dye and paint the rest of the panels/headliner
            Get new back seat
            Weld up all the holes in the roof, DA it and paint it (Attempt to shittily blend in the Oxford White)
            Install drive train
            Install / Fabricate hydraulic clutch
            Fabricate front bumper mounts
            Put the rest of the nose on
            Redo the loom on all of the harness'
            Lay two wheel peels for days.

Big steam.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Box rotors are around 10 1/2 inches. The 98-02 stuff was a smoot over 12". I think the 03+ parts are also close to that size. Box brakes suck, no two ways about it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Box brakes suck but stop better than Aero brakes.

Comment

No reason for that to be true. They're about the same size on the early roundies, and the 95-97 had slightly bigger rotors. Rear discs on the aero too, which may not actually work better but chances are much better they are working vs the drums that nobody ever services.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    No reason for that to be true. They're about the same size on the early roundies, and the 95-97 had slightly bigger rotors. Rear discs on the aero too, which may not actually work better but chances are much better they are working vs the drums that nobody ever services.
                    It shouldn't be true, but Serge is right. I flip flop between driving my 91 and 92, and while the brakes on both suck, the 91 stops way better.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Weight difference maybe? Could also be valving, if there is less pressure to the rear it'll act more feeble. Dunno. The only wheel time I have in an aero was the 5.0 swapped 92, and thats been quite some bit of time too. I don't remember the brakes being particularly feeble in it, though I don't recall them being amazing either. I haven't driven a box with stock brakes in a long time though so my frame of reference might be a little off. I remember them being excessively touchy but thats about it. The 92's brakes I don't recall being nearly so grabby.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 03-05-2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

my 93 stops WAY THE HELL BETTER than the 88. The 88 just locks up faster. The 2000 with the ABS and big brakes stops better than all of them by a long shot.

Also, the 88 has shit tires... so that could be a big part of it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Got all the body bushings in without any major problems, I was going to machine them down, did one and decided I didn't want to cut them. Took off the front suspension like I previously said, I'll get to that whenever I have time.. Maybe today. I'm going to grind the front frame section down and paint it it all.

Oh and I'm using X-O Rust paint.

Yes I know there's paint missing around the base of the bushings. That's because I had the old bushings holding the body on and they decided to peel off the second layer of paint. I'll touch it up.

Last edited by Bobcat; 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

gonna be a hella nice box when done. Both of my cars (93 and 88) could stand body mounts... but yeah... beater gonna beat and not dent the wallet.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The red mounts???

Where is the 'brake guy'?
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                                The red mounts???

Where is the 'brake guy'?
                                Red means performance, guy. Simsbury, Herman Drive. Like 500 feet from Nick's shop. Real good guy, my father has ordered a bunch of shit and I'm pretty good buddies with him, he'll do whatever patterns you want.

Sanded down all of the paint and rust on the front left hand side frame rail tonight. Then used Permatex Rust Dissolver on the last bit of surface rust, wiped it off, wiped it with acetone a couple times and then applied a light coat of X-O Rust. Tomorrow I'll get started on the right hand side and then move onto the crossmember. By the end of the week I hope to have it all pristine, painted and restored. Waiting on my new front coils.
                                __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X