85.03 Crown Vic Coupe "CVGT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    I'm pretty sure every manual swapped box has either blown the T5 or 8.8. I've done both already....

The rear end was mostly my fault. Poly bushings and/or boxed in control arms or aftermarket rear controls arms are a necessity of a 5sp swap. Hell even the 98+ guys have problems once they go manual with the flimsy stock rear suspension.
    Tell that to the T5-swapped Town Car I dumped the clutch on at 5k rpm nearly daily since I did the swap 2 (3?) years ago before parking it to drive my Challenger. '92 T5 with a billet cluster support and a '94 disc rear with 3.55 and trac-lok running 255/50R17 tires. Scott Bowman watched me do four big donuts with the car outside my shop last Saturday night. Only damage I've done (so far) is twisting the splines in the stock slip yoke - and that was with a 3.08/open rear. T5s are blown up more by missed shifts than they are by being put in Panthers.
    Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
      Tell that to the T5-swapped Town Car I dumped the clutch on at 5k rpm nearly daily since I did the swap 2 (3?) years ago before parking it to drive my Challenger. '92 T5 with a billet cluster support and a '94 disc rear with 3.55 and trac-lok running 255/50R17 tires. Scott Bowman watched me do four big donuts with the car outside my shop last Saturday night. Only damage I've done (so far) is twisting the splines in the stock slip yoke - and that was with a 3.08/open rear. T5s are blown up more by missed shifts than they are by being put in Panthers.
      So then why have so many T5 boxes blown up either the trans or rear end? Even one's with stock lopo's?

T5's are a weak transmission, and in stock form the rear suspension on these cars is awful.
      Last edited by pantera77; 07-26-2014, 04:10 PM.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
        That was a nice way to wake the car up after it had been sitting for so long. Had I thought about it, I would've pulled out the phone and got that on camera.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
          That was a nice way to wake the car up after it had been sitting for so long. Had I thought about it, I would've pulled out the phone and got that on camera.
          Ahahahahahahaha and they're still there.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Well... Things have been going slow since I have been preparing for SF.

My dad's buddy had some gauges laying around for what he said was the past thirty years. He never knew what they were for and why they were angled and off set how they were. Well come to find out, they were 80s Police Vic gauges and he decided just to give them to me when I didn't even ask. I cleaned them up a bit, painted the bracket for them and cut apart my dash to fit them in. I didn't do the dash how I would've liked to and accidentally cut a little too much out of the top and bottom chrome accents so I'm planning to find another section of dashboard in the future and re-do what I did. My buddy says it looks fine and nothing is noticeable. But I'm pretty dead set on doing it better.

Anyways, I cut the dash panel and the dash to fit these things in, was done quite easily with a hole saw and air cutoff wheel. Looks like wiring them in will be easily done too.
            Downside to it all is that the amp gauge is blown and I'm having a hard time finding a exact replacement since I'm very picky that they are all identical. I was also looking into new gauge sets from Sunpro, Autometer and so on. But I don't like the look of any of them. Well that's my rambling, here's some pictures.

Holes for screw still need to be drilled when I find out which style screws I want to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (7).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1276118Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (6).jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1276119Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 (2).jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1276117

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Copycat.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

imitation = flattery?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

bromance.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    bromance.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Update, 14-8-20

Whale has a bent rim, now squeaks at low speeds.
                      Took off drivers side tire today, checked the axle to see if it was bent or the bearings where shot. Everythings all set +Good. Now in the market to buy a new set of rims to use temporarily on the whale then box. So I don't have to buy a replacement rim plus tires on the chrome bullitts (Since I don't want those on the box, they're gawdy). Just a new set with tires.
                      + Tires are in good shape on whale, good for another 20,000. After SF14..

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1276222

Box news...
                      < Still waiting to have the cam bearings done on the 351.
                      > Painted and put on the new license plate bucket, going to repaint it eventually since the colors don't match at all. (Clear coat making my white turn to cream.. )
                      > Changed the gear and set up the 140 speedo I also got from John. Done.
                      < Still pending more work on my police gauges, waiting for 351 before wiring them all with sending units and whatnot..
                      > Painted the outer lip of the 85' taillights, like where it's that fine silver pin stripe. I painted that gold. Came out good and gold is always a good 80's gawdy color. I mean classy.

Planning to take the hood and fender off so that I can get to the power antenna and see what's going on with that. Since it doesn't wanna go down..

Also want to get someone to buff the car since it's a nice matte white currently...

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Update, 14-8-20

Whale has a bent rim, now squeaks at low speeds.
                        Took off drivers side tire today, checked the axle to see if it was bent or the bearings where shot. Everythings all set +Good. Now in the market to buy a new set of rims to use temporarily on the whale then box. So I don't have to buy a replacement rim plus tires on the chrome bullitts (Since I don't want those on the box, they're gawdy). Just a new set with tires.
                        + Tires are in good shape on whale, good for another 20,000. After SF14..

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1276222

Box news...
                        < Still waiting to have the cam bearings done on the 351.
                        > Painted and put on the new license plate bucket, going to repaint it eventually since the colors don't match at all. (Clear coat making my white turn to cream.. )
                        > Changed the gear and set up the 140 speedo I also got from John. Done.
                        < Still pending more work on my police gauges, waiting for 351 before wiring them all with sending units and whatnot..
                        > Painted the outer lip of the 85' taillights, like where it's that fine silver pin stripe. I painted that gold. Came out good and gold is always a good 80's gawdy color. I mean classy.

Planning to take the hood and fender off so that I can get to the power antenna and see what's going on with that. Since it doesn't wanna go down..

Also want to get someone to buff the car since it's a nice matte white currently.... Also wanna tear off the vinyl top.. I keep pulling myself away from doing it since it's not in dire need to be done...

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Whale has a bent rim?
                          GTFO!!!!!!!!

Nick was just telling me about the deal you got when your car went on the dyno and someone pointed out yer tire wobbly.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

That's from an incident in the rain, with my near bald tires. I've been running those tires for awhile.. I've had them since the rims and they were past due to be replaced when I got the rims..

It's fun to look in my rear view mirror and watch my tire do the wobbly

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Well things are starting to come along again, I put the car in the garage and started tearing it apart and preparing to do what I would like to get done to have it ready for spring. I took all four wheels off, seeing as I need the fronts off to rebuild the front suspension and the rears to replace the rear suspension. I took off the rotors and calipers, seeing as the rotors have huge grooves in them and I was planning to get drilled rotors anyhow. Both front rubber brake lines were blown and the hard lines were rusted away to no end, I'm planning to replace all front brake lines aswell.. Seeing as the engine will be out anyhow.. Found out one of the studs for one back tire was snapped off (Guessing it was left there from firestone, thats what the records say serviced the car.) One of those idiots in the shop just snapped it off and put the hubcap on, oh well. I took the driveshaft out too, started taking it apart and swapping over the the aluminum one.
                              Planning to goto the engine shop near me this week and get a quote on having cam bearings put in the new motor, then I commence continuing the motor build.. Pictures.

Name:	photo 2 (9).jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1276253Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (9).jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1276254Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (5).jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1276255

That's one beautiful oil leak right there. I think the ants are using it as a pool it's so big.
                              __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Brake upgrade with front suspension overhaul, or holy stock rotors ?
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X