No announcement yet.

The '82 Lincoln Mark VI Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These Moog coil springs, on one of the two rears, both ends look bent in sort of at an angle. Resulting in at least a 1/2" or so shorter spring from 1 side to the other, uncompressed.

Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

404 pictures not found

put the longer one on the passenger side to compensate for the panther lean.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well shit, clunky noises post springs & shocks and mechanic says both rear wheels have play in and out. 1/2 inch of play at least. Little less play on driver side where rubbing noise is coming from.

I don't know if I should just swap in another rear with 3.55s instead of dicking with it or try to figure it out as my mechanic said he doesn't really mess with rear ends.

Thought I'd uploaded the pics, but doesn't look like they posted. Got updated pics on ride height etc. Will post later when I get the windows phone connected properly.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

well shit. that axle was rebuilt not that long ago (mileage wise)... and about 2 years ago IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            which springs ? If we're talking absolutes, then no. There are many kinds of springs, and they need to exist in various sizes for the world to function. If we're talking suspension, then usually springs on a given axle should be the same length. For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.
            Press 7 for english

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sexcpotatoes/ There's some of the newer pics and the springs which the ends seemed to be bent in at angles slightly. Mechanic said they went into perches well, so I dunno.

Was thinking about maybe picking up another car to give to brother's kid down the line, but with these cars possibly needing so much, who knows.

Sly, I have the receipt here for the rear axle rebuild in the folder for the car, but can't be arsed to go through it right now.

Not a big deal, regardless, was still a phenomenal price on the car in the kind of shape it's in. It made it home safe and everything, just gotta do some research and planning on it is all.

The driveshaft that was sent with it, my mechanic didn't put it in because it was 1-1 1/2"es too long and the yokes didn't match or something. Maybe it'll work in another car or the u-joints need to be slotted into the yokes already in the car?
              Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

If thats a two door, it has a specific driveshaft to let it work with the long Lincoln transmission. You've got the same wheelbase as a Vic, bit with a trans thats about an inch and a half longer than what the Vic got. Driveshaft is accordingly shorter as a result. A Vic shaft will not fit a Mark VI two door unless you shorten it, or swap the trans for a Ford/Mercury one.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it was supposed to have the engine/trans from a 93 mustang. Guess they just swapped in the valve body or swapped the tail shaft/housing to the 93 trans.
                  Last edited by sly; 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

swapping the housing really isn't the way to do that. It makes it longer, but it doesn't make the output shaft longer. You end up with an inch and a half less spline engagement. Probably doesn't make much difference with an HO motor, but its bad juju at more serious power levels. A measurement of the transmission will tell the tale, though be damned if I actually know how long a Lincoln AOD is vs a Ford one.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm saying if they swapped the housing, they swapped the shaft too... though it makes the most sense in this build that they just swapped the valve body or governor considering the rest of the crap I had to fix while I had the car. It's very much a hack job (though I fixed all the wiring issues I could find). It is reliable as all get out though. Never had any issues with that one running (except having to replace the distributor, but that wasn't a big deal).

Comment

the entire transmission has to come apart to swap that. First in, last out. Nobody is going to go to all that trouble unless they're rebuilding the transmission in the process.

Comment

you would think. So probably just a governor swap then.

Comment

Well, one of these things is not like the other:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141103_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1276655

Name:	WP_20141103_002.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1276656

Name:	WP_20141103_003.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1276657

Name:	WP_20141103_004.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1276658

It's been cold and rainy a lot so I finally took the spare, jack, and lugwrench off the shelf in the trunk, and drove it. BANG! over bumps still, so I jack it up at the right rear, far enough the tire is removable if I wanted to change it.

AAAAND, the bottom coil is collapsed on the right rear. If you look at the other side, the coil spring winds up with a generous gap between the pigtail and the next coil up, whereas the right side, with the suspension at full droop has the pigtail and the entire lower coil sitting on the axle housing.

So I initiate returns process for Amazon, and they'll pay for me to ship them back... which they need them by December 3. Well, estimated ship/arrival date of the replacement springs is Dec 9-30!

So I call them, and the guy tries to change it to one day shipping at no charge to maybe expedite things... still way out. I can't really remove the springs and send them back and set the car on the ground (not dicking with jackstands and holding everything in the air until I get replacements). So I guess I wait and see if the ship date magically works, or if I'll have to call them again.

Comment

Well that sucks!

Pete
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

They will ship when they process the return. BTDT. If you don't return them, they won't ship the replacement. Yeah, that sucks, but that's the way it works. Did you already chuck the old springs?

Comment

Working...
                                X