No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would certainly be interested in knowing if a later inner fender would work to retain the air compressor and transfer the '90 TC fan shroud and air cleaner setup from The Ice Car to Marge. That likely won't happen until next year at the earliest.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      I would certainly be interested in knowing if a later inner fender would work to retain the air compressor and transfer the '90 TC fan shroud and air cleaner setup from The Ice Car to Marge. That likely won't happen until next year at the earliest.
      I'm curious myself. I swear I saw a post around here that someone mentioned it worked, but I've not seen anything else about it. Perhaps next weekend I'll check if the local Pull-A-Part has an Aero TC in and I'll go down and try to pull it.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Wagon is looking great! Nice to hear the ho swap has a good amount of reliable miles behind it too.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

I did install a pusher fan a few years back, but the bearings have since started to fail in it. I noticed it sounded kinda rough, so I've disconnected it. Arguably I've found better A/C performance is to be had in these cars with just a heater shutoff. A proper vacuum controlled one would be dope (only have it engage on Max A/C), but no one makes a return style in 3/4" hose, so manual it is.

I mentioned A-Body GM tails earlier on, but apparently that is definitely more of a suitable thing for '98+ cars with a Watts Link. Due to the 4-link setup on these, you can't position the pipes correctly. They happen to contact the control arms to the center chunk. I found a company that is making 2.5" Impala tails, albeit crush bent vs mandrel, but it was a solution that worked.
          Ah ok. I have a pusher fan sitting in a box but if it doesn’t do much I’ll probably skip it. The cutoff for the heater core is smart too. I might consider that as well. Where did you find the new impala tailpipes?

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
            Where did you find the new impala tailpipes?
            Summit Racing

AP Exhaust 126665 - Driver Side
            AP Exhaust 126666 - Passenger Side

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'm curious myself. I swear I saw a post around here that someone mentioned it worked, but I've not seen anything else about it. Perhaps next weekend I'll check if the local Pull-A-Part has an Aero TC in and I'll go down and try to pull it.

pretty sure it was sly and the part was from a Ranger maybe? Also aren't these 5/8 hoses? Been a while since I actually paid attention to it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've never done an inner fender swap, but I've seen posts of the driver inner fender being swapped on to give mounts for the airbox when doing an HO swap. I don't see any issue with using the later inner fenders other than some bolt/clip points may not line up exactly. Pretty sure that everything up to 97 and maybe 02 would be a possibility. I know I like that Aero/early whale inner fender for the pocket where I keep an extra quart of transmission fluid in my 93. That's the compressor mounting point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Saved. I’ll probably go this route eventually with my 87.

Comment

I did install a pusher fan a few years back, but the bearings have since started to fail in it. I noticed it sounded kinda rough, so I've disconnected it. Arguably I've found better A/C performance is to be had in these cars with just a heater shutoff. A proper vacuum controlled one would be dope (only have it engage on Max A/C), but no one makes a return style in 3/4" hose, so manual it is.

I mentioned A-Body GM tails earlier on, but apparently that is definitely more of a suitable thing for '98+ cars with a Watts Link. Due to the 4-link setup on these, you can't position the pipes correctly. They happen to contact the control arms to the center chunk. I found a company that is making 2.5" Impala tails, albeit crush bent vs mandrel, but it was a solution that worked.

Where is the max A/C vacuum source? I'd like to plumb something together and utilize its vacuum when switched to Max Ac

Comment

Originally posted by 87GMQ View Post

Where is the max A/C vacuum source? I'd like to plumb something together and utilize its vacuum when switched to Max Ac
                      I know the easiest source is to the vacuum dashpot that drives the re-circulation door behind the glovebox.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        I've never done an inner fender swap, but I've seen posts of the driver inner fender being swapped on to give mounts for the airbox when doing an HO swap. I don't see any issue with using the later inner fenders other than some bolt/clip points may not line up exactly. Pretty sure that everything up to 97 and maybe 02 would be a possibility. I know I like that Aero/early whale inner fender for the pocket where I keep an extra quart of transmission fluid in my 93. That's the compressor mounting point.
                        I believe this is what Gadget meant to reply to:
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I know the easiest source is to the vacuum dashpot that drives the re-circulation door behind the glovebox.
                          OT, but does an earlier box without the max ac mode have a recirc door at all? If yes, which mode opens it?
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

the auto climate control cars do have a max AC mode. Recirc door is controlled by the blend door servo. when its at full cold it opens the recirc door. There is a little valve on top of the heater box for it, along with the switch for the automatic fan speed. I think all of the manual temperature control cars had a max AC position.
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Took care of some jobs that needed doing. Replaced the speedometer cable because the old one was starting to get a scratchy noise to it intermittently. I was going to install a new throttle cable too, but while the Pioneer unit length was cut right and such, the mount for it where it attaches to the bracket with the TV cable is all sorts of wrong. Listed as the right application for the car, but like hell I was gonna try and make that work, so I just lubed up the old one and tossed it back together.

While up at the dash, I also took care of some other minor things. One of the illumination lamps quit working near the 35 MPH side of the speedometer. Apparently the lamp base gave up and one of the ears broke away. Never saw that failure before. While some might cry heresy, I did "upgrade" the cluster assembly while it was out and tossed in a period correct full idiot light gas gauge from a '79 cluster. Compared to the later pictograph warning lights, all of the lights in this case are red, no amber for low washer or low fuel.

I also spent a little extra time under the car and swapped on the high speed governor (E8ZZ-7C063-A) I've had hanging around for like two or three years now. The {transmission} AOD Governor Swap write up did make this a fairly straight forwards task. It only reminded me how much I don't enjoy rolling around on the garage floor doing that kinda stuff though.

The governor I removed did not have the full weight to it associated with a low speed governor. It looked closer to that of a medium speed unit, but never behaved like it should and would shift around 3900 RPM at WOT. Haven't road tested it yet as I'm waiting for a replacement 17 tooth speedometer gear for the VSS. Found out after going up to the 225 width tires that the speedometer is about 3-5 MPH slow depending on speed traveled, so I want to get that closer to 0 or a hair faster than actual speed.

Hopefully I'll take it for a spin this week and see if it's performing better or if this AOD is doomed to sub-4000 RPM shifts forever.

My Cars:

Comment

the internal pressure on the trans also has something to do with the shift points. The Transgo kit I put in the Mark VII moved the WOT shit from about 4700 to 5100 and I didn't touch the governor.

Comment

Working...
                                X