My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dat flex yo!

The 88 I used to have without a rear sway bar.

Originally posted by sly View Post
    But that flex...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Flex1a.jpg Views:	2 Size:	228.3 KB ID:	1285002 Click image for larger version  Name:	Flex2a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.0 KB ID:	1285003

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What an ordeal was to get the car on and off the trailer...
      Rented a "large" tilt deck car trailer, the deck was about 10cm wider than from wheel to wheel on the MGM and just managed to close the rear gate with the bumper above the winch. Had to remove the wheel covers for clearance. Used a hole in the rear frame rails. Ends of the rear bumper got some small scuffs and and winch line dented the trunk pan a tiny bit. Tolerable results. Will pick a flat deck trailer next time.
      Ride was fortunately uneventful, car stayed put and no popo. We were a bit overloaded with the Audi.

Will start disassembling the 302 next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231001_115313.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	1392008
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

What the heck is up with my exhaust manifold stud threads? The ones to the midpipe.

I'm 99% sure I have a 7/16-14 tap and die, but neither one fits on the studs or the nuts. TPI matches just fine.

Two of the nuts for the studs are pretty screwed so I was going to run a tap through them, but it just won't go in. Also the die does a dead stop on the stud after a couple turns.

Comment

When I replaced those studs, they were listed wrong everywhere for '91. I ended up looking up studs for a 1980 which turned out to be correct thread.
          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...32#post1139032

edit: Reusing the old studs, should be 7/16"-14 like you thought.

edit2: Dorman 03135 should be the right replacement.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-02-2023, 09:57 AM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Drained the engine of oil and coolant, oil looked just black and normal, coolant was mostly green and some brown at the bottom, smelled awful and kinda burnt?
            First casualty so far was the driver side block drain plug, which rounded spectacularly. The pass. side drain plug really wanted to round off too, but I managed to hammer it loose with some heat.

Exhaust manifolds are off, zero broken bolts. Some were alarmingly loose, other pretty tight. Also had gaskets, so according to the lincoln log thread VCV linked, means it's not factory. No leaks though.

Next I need to organise the water pump, timing cover and accessory bracket bolts to have any hope of putting that stuff back together correctly. Too bad they're all rusty and ugly

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            When I replaced those studs, they were listed wrong everywhere for '91. I ended up looking up studs for a 1980 which turned out to be correct thread.
            http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...32#post1139032
            edit: Reusing the old studs, should be 7/16"-14 like you thought.
            edit2: Dorman 03135 should be the right replacement.
            I found a random 7/16-14 nut that threads onto the studs just fine. The studs are a bit rough, but probably reusable as is. Upon closer inspection I found that my die tries to cut the thread way deeper than what's on the stud, which seems hardened and the threads are super shallow. Still no idea why the tap won't thread into the nuts at all.

Is a 2-1/4" stud enough for the driver side w/ the exhaust valve? Maybe if the measurement is just for the long side of the stud and not overall length?

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
              Is a 2-1/4" stud enough for the driver side w/ the exhaust valve? Maybe if the measurement is just for the long side of the stud and not overall length?
              Forgot about the extra stuff there on the older models. Not sure what that setup looks like/if a longer stud is needed.

Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I've now torn down the 302 to a short block, still no signs of damage. A couple intake valves are very clean, others pretty carboned up. Pretty sure a bunch of them leak. A few cylinders have way more carbon than others. Tried to scrape nr.1 piston to see markings, which there are none.
                Also looked up the casting numbers, block is a E5AE-C3B and heads are E5AE.

Crosshatching is well visible, although the cylinder walls are kinda shiny. Nr.7 has a couple teeny tiny vertical marks, seem only superficial. Barely any ring ridge.
                Bunch of pics attached.

Here's the dealio: Who made the factory head gaskets? The ones I pulled off say Fel-Pro. That and the generously applied black goop on the head bolts makes me think I'm not the first one taking off the heads.

Flipping the engine over and diving to the bottom end after I figure out how to catch all the fluids that'll come pouring out.
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't remember if the old motors I've had apart had a Ford number on the gaskets or not, but definitely no FelPro branding. The bolts also usually have very little evidence of anything, just some stuff in the threads that looks like pipe thread sealer most of the time.

if the bores are not oversize, tapered, or out of round I'd probably say just run a hone through there for a quick de-glaze and call it good.

on the exhaust, you're sure its not M11 ? Nearly identical diameter, just different thread pitch. This is from the annoying era where everything screwed into the block is SAE and most everything else is metric.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 10-07-2023, 03:52 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My head gaskets look just like these Ford M-6051-C51 head gaskets, they have the tiny felpro logo in the corner too.
                    I took a look at a couple engine teardown vids of similar vintage small blocks and the head gaskets look the same there too.

Name:	71nON5htaLL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp
Views:	139
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1392139

Comment

The ones I remember are just silver, no stripes.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I found the clickyclack...

Cyl. 1

Name:	20231011_195410.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	1392260 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231011_195414.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1392261

Cyl. 8

Name:	20231011_195428.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1392262 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231011_195433.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1392263
                        The other ones are naturally inbetween.

I quickly popped off the main caps and the bottom halves are worn, but not alarmingly so.
                        Cam bearings look fine, but they seem to have burnt on oil on some parts.

Also found some pitting in about half of the lifters, which is probably a good sign to throw them in the bin.

Name:	20231011_175441.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	1392264

Comment

I'm betting someone did a quick "rebuild" of your engine some time ago. You know, just a quick hone, freshened cylinder heads & bearings....
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            I'm betting someone did a quick "rebuild" of your engine some time ago. You know, just a quick hone, freshened cylinder heads & bearings....
                            Sounds like what I'm about to do. I doubt there's been any engine work done ever before to this engine.

Comment

The stock pistons on these have valve reliefs in them?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                The stock pistons on these have valve reliefs in them?
                                Seems so, haven't looked closely, but the pistons have a Ford-ish numbers on the insides of the skirts.

Comment

Working...
                                X